The Student Room Group

Sixth Form or Apprenticeship?

Hey, I am currently in Year 11 studying for GCSEs, and have recently been considering my post 16 options, as it is nearly time for sixth form applications, but I have been very interested in looking at apprenticeships with different companies. I was just wondering whether anyone with experience in an apprenticeship would be able to give any advice? Or if you have an opinion on what you think's better, any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by alstheman5
Hey, I am currently in Year 11 studying for GCSEs, and have recently been considering my post 16 options, as it is nearly time for sixth form applications, but I have been very interested in looking at apprenticeships with different companies. I was just wondering whether anyone with experience in an apprenticeship would be able to give any advice? Or if you have an opinion on what you think's better, any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:

-Alstheman5

I think it depends on what type of career you want to go into. A more physical career in manual labour, manufacturing and creative industries would suit an apprenticeship, whilst careers which require higher education such as banking, law and teaching would require A-levels in order to progress to Uni, so Sixth Form would be the suited option there.
Apprenticeships are becoming more popular now, you can do them for a large variety of careers and they offer perks that an academic career can't offer e.g. basic salary, on the job experience, job offers, job references/contacts. Apprenticeships include building, being an electrician, plumbing, engineering, telecoms, catering, mechanic, bricklayer ....... It really depends what subjects you enjoy, what type of character you are more academic/practical, whether you want to do something practical and have a profession and perhaps have your own business or whether you want to go to uni (remember it's never too late to to to uni and it's not the be all end all). Do what you think will suit you best. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest