The Student Room Group

Citing multiple points from one author?

I'm currently doing an assignment with involves a literature review and I'm critiquing a theory however, there is one theorist who criticises this theory significantly and raises several points/arguments in regards to its reliability and validity.

Suppose I was making these points in my assignment. How would I go about citing this author? Do I need to cite for ALL of the points he makes? or can I cite once and proceed to refer to the points? It seems quite repetitive citing the same author.

E.g.

McSweeney(2002) argues,

In addition, McSweeney states that ..

Furthermore, he argues

Would this be okay?

Thanks! :redface:
You just put 'Ibid' when you're citing the same reference as the one right above it. And if the one above is difference, you just put 'McSweeney Pg 4'.

So for example, Mcsweeney argues that the moon is made of cheese1. This is due to 'the incorrigible evidence that mice live on the moon'2. x-Natalie-x finds that this is a logical fallacy3. Mcsweeney preemptively rebukes this however, with his example of crackers that were taken by astronauts to the moon4.

1.Bill McSweeney, The Cheese Moon (Penguin Publishers London 2007), Page 3.
2. Ibid Pg. 4
3. x-Natalie-x, Citing multiple points from one author?, (The Student Room Publishing house, Brighton, 2014) Page 1.
4. Mcsweeney Pg. 17
Depends on the citation and reference style in your field. You wouldn't use ibid if you cite in text rather than use footnotes. Then you can cite once to cover all the points from that reference. If you talk about another reference, then go back to McSweeney (2002), you should cite him again the second time. Basically just make it clear which reference refers to which points.
Reply 3
Original post by chazwomaq
Depends on the citation and reference style in your field. You wouldn't use ibid if you cite in text rather than use footnotes. Then you can cite once to cover all the points from that reference. If you talk about another reference, then go back to McSweeney (2002), you should cite him again the second time. Basically just make it clear which reference refers to which points.

Yeh, exactly. Thanks for the advice. I think i'm just going to cite where clarification may be needed. I may be able to get a relative or other tutor to have a look at my referencing maybe. I think that's the best bet.
Reply 4
Original post by homeworktutors
and how about getting help in your homework from us allhomeworktutors

I'm not really sure what point you're making?
Original post by x-Natalie-x
Yeh, exactly. Thanks for the advice. I think i'm just going to cite where clarification may be needed. I may be able to get a relative or other tutor to have a look at my referencing maybe. I think that's the best bet.

Well, what level is this at? I assumed uni level so provided uni level expectation. If you're writing an undergrad level literature review you'll be expected to provide MHRA or Harvard styled citations. If you're just going to go to your tutor anyway I'm a bit confused why you even posted :lol:

Just go to your tutor and ask. :yep: If it's first year, this is the time to learn to do it properly. You'll start bleeding percentiles if you've not nailed it by second year.
(edited 9 years ago)
First, tell in which style do you want to cite your material. Because there is 16's citation style available on the internet every citation format has different citation style. If you Want all citation format use ama format generator. One more way to make citation is making a manual citation. You no need to cite every line you just use citation format in one time at the end of the doc.
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
You just put 'Ibid' when you're citing the same reference as the one right above it. And if the one above is difference, you just put 'McSweeney Pg 4'.

So for example, Mcsweeney argues that the moon is made of cheese1. This is due to 'the incorrigible evidence that mice live on the moon'2. x-Natalie-x finds that this is a logical fallacy3. Mcsweeney preemptively rebukes this however, with his example of crackers that were taken by astronauts to the moon4.

1.Bill McSweeney, The Cheese Moon (Penguin Publishers London 2007), Page 3.
2. Ibid Pg. 4
3. x-Natalie-x, Citing multiple points from one author?, (The Student Room Publishing house, Brighton, 2014) Page 1.
4. Mcsweeney Pg. 17

Depends on style used by your uni. Mine doesn't use numbers at all, just in-text citations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending