The Student Room Group

"If you don't like the humour, don't watch it/don't listen to it"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jebedee
I sense butt-hurt. If you believe it's a method of "duping" a girl, then you're admitting that it does get guys laid. Putting aside any ethical side-issues. A bit of a contradiction there.

Only seems fitting that such a white knight would be against Dapper laughs so badly.

Claiming butthurt and calling me a white knight is no argument at all.

You're normally a more coherent poster than this, jebedee.

It teaches men to try to dupe women, but of course, it almost never works, because women aren't nearly as stupid and gormless as PUA would have you believe.

PUA is a conveyor belt that turns normal people into Elliot Rodger.
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman

Are jokes still funny if they're belittling or harming others?

Yeah, quite often.

A common phrase that gets thrown out during discussions about controversial 'comedians' and 'joke posts' is that "if you don't like the jokes, don't watch it" [[Or something along those lines]]. Other defensive quotes are:

"Humour is down to personal taste"
"There's always something somebody will be offended by"
"Any idiot would know no harm was meant"

I'd rather no-one bothered using those phrases at all. The proper response is usually: 'Oh, you're offended? Well, what a damn shame for you'. Then we can move along.
Reply 22
Original post by cole-slaw
lol, I could have predicted YOU would like it Miser. You're into all that misogynistic PUA **** aren't you.

I treat women very well I'll have you know. :h:
Original post by miser
I treat women very well I'll have you know. :h:

I would hope so too. I bet you're the supreme gentleman.

sorry, too obvious
Reply 24
On thing I really hate is when comedians piss on the recently deceased. Especially when they were murdered. Like what Jimmy Carr did. He is forever trash in my books after that.
Reply 25
I would hope so too. I bet you're the supreme gentleman.

sorry, too obvious

Arguing for treating others respectfully through sarcastic jibes - a weird way to go. :wink: Watch out for the irony coming to undermine your message!
Claiming butthurt and calling me a white knight is no argument at all.

You're normally a more coherent poster than this, jebedee.

It teaches men to try to dupe women, but of course, it almost never works, because women aren't nearly as stupid and gormless as PUA would have you believe.

PUA is a conveyor belt that turns normal people into Elliot Rodger.

Many women are stupid and Elliot Rodger was anti-PUA, just like you.
Original post by Jebedee
Many women are stupid and Elliot Rodger was anti-PUA, just like you.

He was ex-PUA (known as PUAhate). It is the ultimate destiny of every PUA.
He was ex-PUA (known as PUAhate). It is the ultimate destiny of every PUA.

So people who tried and failed but didn't have the modesty to admit they were at fault. It's an ego thing and you have to admit that by watching retribution he has a massive ego.

Also, I have no respect for dapper laughs now that he's backed down and apologised.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jebedee
So people who tried and failed but didn't have the modesty to admit they were at fault. It's an ego thing and you have to admit that by watching retribution he has a massive ego.

Also, I have no respect for dapper laughs now that he's backed down and apologised.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'd rather he kept up his work in promoting sexual assault and sexual violence I suppose. :rolleyes:
(edited 9 years ago)
You'd rather he kept up his work in promoting sexual assault and sexual violence I suppose. :rolleyes:.

His work. You're the one saying it promotes that stuff. If someone watches his stuff and goes around raping then they're mentally imbalanced and would have done something like that anyway. You're no better than moms trying to ban slipknot or grand theft auto.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jebedee
His work. You're the one saying it promotes that stuff. If someone watches his stuff and goes around raping then they're mentally imbalanced and would have done something like that anyway. You're no better than moms trying to ban slipknot or grand theft auto.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If grand theft auto was repackaged as a school in driving and shown to all learner drivers as an example in responsible road use, then I would have a problem with that, sure.

The point of the matter is that people DO watch his stuff and then go round raping and sexually harassing women. Have you been asleep for the past 5 years? Have you not seen the outcry? Young men ARE becoming more misogynistic and sexually violent due to the insidious influence of PUA. We have a massive problem in this country due to rape-promoting dickheads like this.
Reply 32
I have a feeling that one of the reasons that Dapper Laughs has not been accepted as easily as Jimmy Carr and Frankie Boyle is because as generations progress and we're becoming more aware of the effects of certain 'jokes', we're less tolerant of them.

I'll admit I haven't heard any of DL's material so I haven't slammed him down in any of my comments yet, but regardless of the comedian, jokes regarding rape I don't find funny whatsoever.

[[PS: What's this PUA everyone is mentioning?]]
I have a feeling that one of the reasons that Dapper Laughs has not been accepted as easily as Jimmy Carr and Frankie Boyle is because as generations progress and we're becoming more aware of the effects of certain 'jokes', we're less tolerant of them.

I'll admit I haven't heard any of DL's material so I haven't slammed him down in any of my comments yet, but regardless of the comedian, jokes regarding rape I don't find funny whatsoever.

[[PS: What's this PUA everyone is mentioning?]]

He's not a comedian, this is the point. He presents a show where he gives people advice on how to attract women.

His advice mainly comprises of telling men to sexually harass or sexually assault women. He encourages rape and says things like "no doesn't really mean no".

PUA is "pickup artist". Its a misogynist con trick where gullible men pay £1000s to be shown how to trick women into having sex with them. The tricks don't work (obviously as women aren't stupid), and the men end up even more angry and frustrated than before. Some PUAs use hypnosis, which is basically just rape.

Elliot Rodger was a PUA student, and it turned him into a serial killer.
You'd rather he kept up his work in promoting sexual assault and sexual violence I suppose. :rolleyes:

You're one sick son of a bitch jebedee.

How does one assault someone by asking them out and then leaving it there if they say no?

His advice mainly comprises of telling men to sexually harass or sexually assault women. He encourages rape and says things like "no doesn't really mean no".

Provide proof that he's seriously advised someone to rape or sexually assault someone, because from what I see he only teaches people to not be awkward and to talk to them.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Snagprophet
How does one assault someone by asking them out and then leaving it there if they say no?

That's not assault, although it may be harassment depending on how forcefully and graphically you "asked her out".

He advocates getting your cock out in front of a woman (as if you were about to rape her) and if she cries or screams, don't stop, because she's "only playing hard to get".

That's a direct quote. If you think that is acceptable advice... I don't know what to say.
That's not assault, although it may be harassment depending on how forcefully and graphically you "asked her out".

He advocates getting your cock out in front of a woman (as if you were about to rape her) and if she cries or screams, don't stop, because she's "only playing hard to get".

That's a direct quote. If you think that is acceptable advice... I don't know what to say.

That's clearly a joke, there has never been an instance of him doing this. That's like saying all those jokes about men not caring what women say are serious. The reason it's clearly a joke is because it's so over the top and ridiculous that anyone would think that would attract someone.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Snagprophet
That's clearly a joke, there has never been an instance of him doing this. That's like saying all those jokes about men not caring what women say are serious.

It wasn't presented as a joke, it was presented as serious advice.

We may wish he was joking, but sadly I don't think he was - and neither does anyone else, hence the huge outcry.

Simply saying afterwards "oh I was only joking" is not good enough. You can basically get away with absolutely anything like that.

"I didn't actually mean to invade Poland, I was only joking when I signed the orders"

We may wish he was joking, but sadly I don't think he was - and neither does anyone else, hence the huge outcry.

Simply saying afterwards "oh I was only joking" is not good enough. You can basically get away with absolutely anything like that.

"I didn't actually mean to invade Poland, I was only joking when I signed the orders"

If you think that was serious advice then no wonder you failed at pua, the art of subtext and satire is completely lost on you. By using the outcry of the masses to prove your point, you're just illustrating yourself as one of the many mindless sheep which swallow whole everything the media feeds them.

Find me proof he actually got his Dick out and chased someone. If it was genuinely advice there should be many examples of him doing so.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Clearly he hasn't raped someone and said 'haha jokes on you, I'm not really like this'. Also how do you think a joke should be presented?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending