The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

doll-heart

I've had problems coming off tablets before. I just don't like people making the same mistake if I can advise them against it I'm gonna.

You have no idea how your two situations differ though. Even doctors with years of clinical experience get things wrong once in a while... to jump in and say "don't take tablets" assumes a lot.
Id recommend going and talking to a doctor and completely ignoring any diagnosis/advice that anyone not medically qualified gives you (including us on an internet forum and what is presumably your own diagnosis).
Reply 23
I would go to the doctors if I could but where I live you have to give all your details over the phone then they decide, after making you hold for ages, whether or not you are worth seeing or whether they can see you and then when if they can is weeks down the line. I don't like being made to feel like this and disclosing such details over the phone. Also I find it really hard opening up to ppl and trusting them and I am scared that if I do say or do something then I'll be prejudged and locked up in hospital.:frown:
Reply 24
I've gone cold turkey off of both anti-depressants and morphine, and apart from feeling a bit **** for a couple of days, i had no real 'bad' effects. Just because something happened to you doesn't necessarily mean it'll happen to someone else.
Reply 25
Also I can't take tablets as I have a psychological block against consuming them. i have tried alot to overcome this though but to no avail. I take liquid medicines instead.
Anonymous
I would go to the doctors if I could but where I live you have to give all your details over the phone then they decide, after making you hold for ages, whether or not you are worth seeing or whether they can see you and then when if they can is weeks down the line. I don't like being made to feel like this and disclosing such details over the phone. Also I find it really hard opening up to ppl and trusting them and I am scared that if I do say or do something then I'll be prejudged and locked up in hospital.:frown:

You won't be locked up. As for discloding details over the phone, that's ridiculous, and I'm sure it's also not allowed. Tell them you want to speak to a doctor (rather than a receptionist or whoever), or you're not telling them anything. Although I'd still be wary about that. :confused: That's stupid.
Anonymous
Also I can't take tablets as I have a psychological block against consuming them. i have tried alot to overcome this though but to no avail. I take liquid medicines instead.

You mean, "I don't like tablets"? I'm quite sure it is physically possible for you to take tablets. In fact, this, your depression, and your lack of trust - I would put money on them being linked somehow.
Reply 28
Yeah that's true, 3232. I'm not disputing that tablets can and do work, I just think that drug companies need to make money some how... They like keeping you on them; more money. Sad, but true. I don't like prescription medicine in general. Unless it's for cancer and the likes. With depression I think therapy can be most useful, this is my opinion, you are all allowed your own.

Like you say, it's different for everyone.

As for you! Did I say you can snap out of it?! No I didn't, you're a moron, stop putting words into my mouth. You're not even being helpful to anyone, you're far too emotional.
I'm sorry but I don't believe in relying on outside substances to make me feel good. Where do you go after them? I'm sure there's a link between young ritalin users going on to use hard drugs later in life. Sadly I read that on the internet. Which isn't always factual...
Reply 29
Anonymous

Please go to your doctor, there's loads of things they can do, you don't have to have tablets, they'll probably have a medicine form if you'd like though. Therapy can be really helpful; you can get to the bottom of why you feel like this and they can make you better.
doll-heart
As for you! Did I say you can snap out of it?! No I didn't, you're a moron, stop putting words into my mouth. You're not even being helpful to anyone, you're far too emotional.
I'm sorry but I don't believe in relying on outside substances to make me feel good. Where do you go after them? I'm sure there's a link between young ritalin users going on to use hard drugs later in life. Sadly I read that on the internet. Which isn't always factual...

I don't believe in allowing depression to take over my brain. If I was depressed I wouldn't be able to work or really do much at all - at least if I was on antidepressants I would be able to concentrate on things more rather than waiting for my next session with the shrink. I don't care what your opinion is or whether you're allowing me my own. Do not hand out dangerous advice as if it's gospel truth then follow it up with a statement about a load of idiots on the internet talking rubbish just to make you sound that tiny bit more credible. Your advice could end up killing someone with more serious depression than you've ever experienced. I think I'm being helpful to anyone like that. And believe me, there's plenty of them around.
Reply 31
I'm worried that they'd also lock me up in hospital because I'm really slim and some ppl think that I have an eating disorder because of my size, height and how much I eat. I know that I don't and that it's just a combination of personal requirements, genes, and the toll of alot of stress. However my BMI and size of portions that fill me up suggest otherwise.
Reply 32
I have ried! Trust me, I have! I do think that you are right though- I think my psychological block is down to my lack of trust and also when I first learnt about tablets they were about the bad ones like illegal drugs and date rape etc so I wanted a way to protect me from being poisoned by them. Also a close member of my family has to take alot of tablets each day so as to live, and they make her almost sick and unhappy because of this when taking them. It's not nice at all.
Reply 33
Please see post 24 in this thread. I understand that you are presenting an opinion and I respect that. To everyone else though, I don't feel that drugs would be an effective means of helping me anyway- see what I have written to understand why.
Reply 34
My dad's got manic depression. It's labelled the 'genius disease' and is a term that just normal ol' depressives would love to be diagnosed with. You haven't got manic depression if you just depressed. You actually go through phases where you feel on top of the world, nothing can stop you, you're always rushing around, thinking of new ideas etc.. That's why its so hard to be diagnosed. As when you're in a manic state you don't realise there is something wrong with you - you just feel great. Then in the depression stage you don't even wanna get out of bed. So if you're just feeling down about stuff, I doubt it's manic depression..
Reply 35
Anonymous
I have ried! Trust me, I have! I do think that you are right though- I think my psychological block is down to my lack of trust and also when I first learnt about tablets they were about the bad ones like illegal drugs and date rape etc so I wanted a way to protect me from being poisoned by them. Also a close member of my family has to take alot of tablets each day so as to live, and they make her almost sick and unhappy because of this when taking them. It's not nice at all.

They won't lock you up, don't worry. If they're concerned about you they might offer you the chance to go to hospital, no-one will treat you badly because of it; the doctors are there to advise and help, not make you feel worse.
Reply 36
No- it has stemmed from extensive years of being bullied, oppressed, suppressed and harassed by ppl at school, ex-friends, family and ppl off the street. I just don't want to get hurt again hence it takes me a while to adapt and get to know and trust ppl.
Anonymous
No- it has stemmed from extensive years of being bullied, oppressed, suppressed and harassed by ppl at school, ex-friends, family and ppl off the street. I just don't want to get hurt again hence it takes me a while to adapt and get to know and trust ppl.

"It" has stemmed... what has? The depression, or the lack of trust? I reckon the lack of trust, and I reckon the dislike of tablets stemmed from that, and I reckon the depression was a by-product of your general lack of trust and anxiety.
Anon. it is your right to speak to a doctor and to choose which details you want to give. You can ask to speak to a doctor if you don't want to speak to a receptionist and if one isn't available straight away they have to ring you back or make you an appointment. (Waiting lists are a pain but at least you know you will get one eventually)

A doctor will know what to say and advise for you. Medication is not a must for everyone and there are plenty of other alternative methods to help ie seeing a counselor. I understand that could be difficult as it's sometimes hard to talk to people but a counselor will understand and help as best they can.

No one will judge you at all. Acknowledging depression and seeking help for it is a very difficult thing to do so if anything the doctor will try and make things easier for you.

Hope this helps you.
Reply 39
I felt like that for a year but then since then and before then, I've never felt ecstatic/elated/euphoric or happy. After that year, I became severely depressed. So that year I was manically depressed perhaps then?

Latest