The Student Room Group

Over-educated

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Daftpunker
A lot of my peers at the moment are claiming they are being turned down for jobs as they are "over-qualified". Its regretful but they don't seem to realise that they need to present themselves and gain experience building the skills employers value.

One of my good friends is going back to University to a second degree after having a year out travelling. I'm no expert but he is not in my view becoming more "qualified" - if we are defining qualified to be applicable/to be skilled/licensed to do a job. I know University isn't just about getting a job...but he is marely becoming more educated and over-educated as well.

I did say to him...dude you have one degree and you've just been travelling. you are 24 now. If you go back and do another degree do you realise you are going to be 27 or 28 before you apply for your first salary/proper job?

His answer was he was over-qualifed to do what's avalible now and he will look far more attractive with two degrees and job market will have picked up in 3 years as well?!?!?!??!

I don't doubt that two degrees will look more attractive - but in my view he is only over-educating himself. Not making himself more qualified.

Whatever though he is my mate and hope it works out for him!

I do though think young people today need to expect that for now their degree may not be that valued and the answer is not to go back and educate yourself even further just to kill another 3 years and line the pockets of another university with £27000

I think there is a pressure to be the best. Have a good job. I have always been best suited to work related learning. I thrive on working hard and are considering an apprenticeship then a Job in that company after. Would be better as earning and learning. Also not in debt at a young age
On this note i am actually more angry with the education system conning most young people that go to uni do any degree and you'll have offers left, right and centre than I am with the companies not wanting to employ undergrads. A lot of people now seem to be in limbo...there is no demand for a grad role relevant to their degree and there is no demand for them in low skilled jobs as they are viewed to be over-educated and only applying for it as a stop-gap

I agree.
Original post by Black Cat
What makes him think that he's overqualified? These days you got people with masters working menial jobs.

I've heard of people struggling to get jobs because employers tell them they are overqualified.
Original post by Freudian Slip
Just to flip the coin: I've been turned down (with just an undergraduate degree) for 'menial jobs' and actually told, directly: 'what's the point in you working for us, when you're well-educated? Let's leave it there and you can go and make use of your degree'. :sigh:

there are three potential quite weak reasons for this

1. Fear you'll clear off in a short period of time ( which is also a bit " what if we train them and they clear off, - never mind that; what if you don't train them and they stay )"
2. Appointing manager is a reverse snob
3. Appointing Manager has been busking it for years and isafraid s/he'll be found out if a subordinate with some level of intelligence and knowledge is appointed .

Interestingly getting into a company via agency 'menial' work can be away in - as the company is initially blind to your qualifications anmd work history in a lot of cases and you can engineer your image from within.

now is the time to get in via agency especially in anything remotely logistics related as the Christmas / January sales peak is happening in logistics and warehousing now ...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by High Stakes
Once again, you're not my father. But I really appreciate that. Although you do know I wouldn't necessarily acquire your genes, since genetic inheritance is completely random. Ta lad!

Firstly learn the definition of "if", secondly you would inherit my genes, it's the which genes you would inherit which are down to random chance.

Clearly your actual father's genes suck, since he produced a child so lacking in intelligence.
Original post by zippyRN
x

Cheers for this! :grin:
but not educated enough to simply leave ones degree of their cv?
Reply 47
I don't think there's any such thing as over qualified. The more knowledge you have the better. They just need to try and find experience and maybe work on their interview and CV skills instead of avoiding everything. Travelling is great and so is learning, but they just sound like excuses from your friend not to get a job. It's better to start early than wait it out, employers aren't just looking for education, they're looking for experience and proof that someone can do the job based on what they've done.

On the flip side a lot of employers also suck balls and have the stupid opinion that being 'over-qualified' will in any way affect how you work. I guess jobs are scarcer than people would have us believe too. So yeah, there's that.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by yo radical one
Firstly learn the definition of "if", secondly you would inherit my genes, it's the which genes you would inherit which are down to random chance.

Clearly your actual father's genes suck, since he produced a child so lacking in intelligence.

"You would inherit my genes, it's the which genes you would inherit which are down to random chance." Right, that made sense. Also do you even know how much you inherit from your parents statistically in terms of genes which control your intelligence? Around 50%, and this is derived from both parents. The other 50% is primarily down to the environment and how well your diet is growing up. I'm sure any child with the misfortune of being fathered with you, would end up being mis-diagnosed with down syndrome.

I don't care, whether you say if or not. I'm telling you, you're not my father so stop commenting with these moronic statements. And I don't really know what you're implying lad. Your supposedly superior to my father? He's a neurosurgeon, and what are you?
(edited 9 years ago)
There's no such thing. You can only be uneducated. You can also learn more and be educated more.
Original post by yo radical one
Yes it is, see my above post.

A,A,A* > Russell Group > 1st > MA is well educated

B,D,D > University of McDonald's > 2:2 > resit > A levels > B,B,C > Gap year in South East Asia > 2nd undergraduate degree is "over-educated"

Nobody who gets called "over-educated" actually has a strong academic record, it's usually something weird and broken like what I just described

I really don''t think "over-educated" would mean something like that. The first example is more steered to the meaning.
Original post by coalridge

A lot of jobs are now doing vetting (a popular technique), where they ask about what happened in your life for 5 years. It would stupid if he would have taken off the degree but I probably would do the same as well.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by coalridge

Omissions are still false statements , it also leaves a significant gap in your work history, for many roles a 3 year gap in your work hisotry is an automatic disqualifier.

I have worked in roles in logistics that required 10 year woirk history and basic CRB becasue of access to customer information and divertable products ...
Dude just get berzerk

[video="youtube;ab9176Srb5Y"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab9176Srb5Y[/video]
Just because your mates do a degree and then apply for a low job, does it mean that young people are over educated. ****, after my degree I get thrown in at the even deeper end.
Has just been left about 50k in a trust fund yes!

Spending 36K on a degree that won't boost his employability sounds like a waste of money.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending