The Student Room Group

Not sure what to do next?

I finished my A Levels in 2012 with decent grades and I decided to take a gap year. I felt too rushed to commit and choose a university course and thought that they also weren't necessary to getting a good job. During my gap year all I really did was work in retail, I discovered that getting a good job was harder than I first thought.
In a last minute rush I applied to a Foundation degree course in Business and Enterprise at my local college. I'd never studied business before but I figured I could work my current part time job around it so it was better than doing nothing.
I have been enjoying my course and I have the option to continue it for a third year so I have a full degree, however I am not sure if I would like to.
Essentially my options are:

Finish my third year (I want to do it at Brighton Uni) and apply for UCAS etc this christmas.

Finish this course as a foundation degree, start a completely new degree course and apply for UCAS this Christamas.

Or finish this course as a foundation and just go and look for a job/ leave everything for a year while I figure out what I want to do.

If I start a new degree I am a bit overwhelmed about what I want to do and what would be most useful as a career path. I am thinking about the following courses:

Psychology/Criminology or something along the social sciences. Always had an interest in mental health in particular.

Theatre. Always been a passion of mine, originally planned to go to drama school.

Midwifery. In the past year or so I've really developed an interest in this field.

I have lots of other skills and interests I have such as art and I've always been interest in Philosophy as well. There are so many degrees I'd love to do for the fun of it but I really need to choose one which I would enjoy, yet would have the most prospects. I don't want to waste my time or money.

Now you know a bit more about my interests and skills, I would really appreciate some suggestions as to what I can do, even vocational things I may not have thought about. I'm open to lots of suggestions, even things in similar fields but not necessarily ones I have mentioned.

Thank you for reading! :smile:
Original post by craneface
I finished my A Levels in 2012 with decent grades and I decided to take a gap year. I felt too rushed to commit and choose a university course and thought that they also weren't necessary to getting a good job. During my gap year all I really did was work in retail, I discovered that getting a good job was harder than I first thought.
In a last minute rush I applied to a Foundation degree course in Business and Enterprise at my local college. I'd never studied business before but I figured I could work my current part time job around it so it was better than doing nothing.
I have been enjoying my course and I have the option to continue it for a third year so I have a full degree, however I am not sure if I would like to.
Essentially my options are:

Finish my third year (I want to do it at Brighton Uni) and apply for UCAS etc this christmas.

Finish this course as a foundation degree, start a completely new degree course and apply for UCAS this Christamas.

Or finish this course as a foundation and just go and look for a job/ leave everything for a year while I figure out what I want to do.

If I start a new degree I am a bit overwhelmed about what I want to do and what would be most useful as a career path. I am thinking about the following courses:

Psychology/Criminology or something along the social sciences. Always had an interest in mental health in particular.

Theatre. Always been a passion of mine, originally planned to go to drama school.

Midwifery. In the past year or so I've really developed an interest in this field.

I have lots of other skills and interests I have such as art and I've always been interest in Philosophy as well. There are so many degrees I'd love to do for the fun of it but I really need to choose one which I would enjoy, yet would have the most prospects. I don't want to waste my time or money.

Now you know a bit more about my interests and skills, I would really appreciate some suggestions as to what I can do, even vocational things I may not have thought about. I'm open to lots of suggestions, even things in similar fields but not necessarily ones I have mentioned.

Thank you for reading! :smile:

Are you passionate about studying your current business course? Starting a new degree can be daunting, but if you know that you will enjoy the other subjects more and would like to proceed into a career in that specific field then maybe it would be wiser to change? However, you could always finish your last year of your current course and see where to go after that seen as your already nearly finished.

Just remember, it has to be you who makes your decision about what to do, as no one will know exactly what makes you happy! Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending