The Student Room Group

ASK SLC About Repaying Your Student Loan

One of the expert advisers from the Student Loans Company (SLC) will be here to answer your general questions about all aspects of repaying your student loan in the UK.

Post a question here to receive a reply during our repayments surgeries on Wednesday the 12th, 19th and 26th November.

More info on repayments can be found at www.studentloanrepayment.co.uk
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello, I have a question as I'm quite worried about my finance. I applied for a maintennance grant for my last year of university and I have received the first installment. Due to unforeseen circumstances, I am in desperate need of more money to pay my tuition fees. Is there any possibility that I could apply now this late in the year for a student loan on top of the maintenance grant that I already get?
Thank you
Hayley
This isn't about repayments. This is a bout DSA (dyslexia). If I send the diagnostics report to you guys as evidence will I get it back? And while I'm here why isn't there an email for you guys and I have to go through facebook or twitter? I find it very confusing…..
Michael O'Brien
Reply 3
Can I repay the whole of my student loan this year as I have the money now and don't want to accrue the interest ? And how do I pay early? I graduated last year.

Thanks
Hi if i don't finish my course in my first term what repayments will i have to pay back? thank you very much would very helpful to have an answer as soon as possible
I am not quite sure how I should raise my doubts, so I decided to simply
write here.

I am EU student (graduated in 2009). On September I received the letter with repayment schedule for
coming months (October 2014- March 2014).
I see that amount is very different comparing to what I
had earlier like 10 times more.

How can I ask to doubble check if the amount is correct?
Original post by hayz616
Hello, I have a question as I'm quite worried about my finance. I applied for a maintennance grant for my last year of university and I have received the first installment. Due to unforeseen circumstances, I am in desperate need of more money to pay my tuition fees. Is there any possibility that I could apply now this late in the year for a student loan on top of the maintenance grant that I already get?
Thank you
Hayley

Hi Hayley

Sorry, you'll need to contact SFE for this query.

Thanks
Original post by Michael O'Brien
This isn't about repayments. This is a bout DSA (dyslexia). If I send the diagnostics report to you guys as evidence will I get it back? And while I'm here why isn't there an email for you guys and I have to go through facebook or twitter? I find it very confusing…..
Michael O'Brien

Hi Michael

Sorry, you'll need to contact SFE for this query. You can ask your question on facebook and twitter or by calling. We don't have an email address to provide for queries. Thanks
Original post by James190
Can I repay the whole of my student loan this year as I have the money now and don't want to accrue the interest ? And how do I pay early? I graduated last year.

Thanks

Hi There, Yes you can repay the full balance. You can do this on your online account or by giving us a call on 0300 100 0611. Thanks
Original post by DomJWhite92
Hi if i don't finish my course in my first term what repayments will i have to pay back? thank you very much would very helpful to have an answer as soon as possible

Hi There,

This will depend on your award authority from where you received the funding from. If you leave your course you'll be re-assessed for the time that you spent there. Please check this with your award authority. Thanks
Original post by AdrianaLabaj
I am not quite sure how I should raise my doubts, so I decided to simply
write here.

I am EU student (graduated in 2009). On September I received the letter with repayment schedule for
coming months (October 2014- March 2014).
I see that amount is very different comparing to what I
had earlier like 10 times more.

How can I ask to doubble check if the amount is correct?

Hi There,

Please give us a call on 0300 100 0611 for information on your repayment schedule. Thanks
Reply 11
Hi,

-Does the £21k income per year threshold count for financial year or any 12 month period?
-If you earn over £21k in 2014/2015, but don't earn anything in 2015/2016, do you still start paying in 2016 or do you only start repaying when you earn over 21k in 2016?
-Is the 9% you pay back only for the income over 21k or 9% of your total income (e.g. if you earned £21,100 would you pay back £9 or £1890)?

Thanks!
Hi,

If your loans enter repayment in April 2016, you'll only start repaying once you're earning over the threshold of £21,000 per year which is £1750 per month or £403 per week.

Therefore from April 2016, if your getting paid monthly and your gross monthly income (income before deductions) is over £1750 a deduction will be taken from your salary and this will show on your payslip. If your income is under this amount then no deduction will be taken.

The amount your repay is 9% of your income over and above the threshold.

Hope this helps.
Hi,
I left uni last month and have received a letter from student finance saying they have overpaid me £611, at the moment i am currently out of employment but am currently looking for employment so which means i will not be able to pay the lot straight away.
Would i be able to make monthly payments instead of the whole lot at once? and then increase the amount once i have got an income?

Thank you.
Reply 14
Hi! My name is Renata! Just have some questions about my grant. I've already received the letter with the loan approval, but I didn't receive any letter about my maintennance grant. I will start the term on jan/2015. Is that normal? When I will have any news about my grant? Can you check for me, if possible, please?! Thanks
Hello, last year the household income was ove 43K so i could not get a grant, however this year my dad has moved out and i only live with my mum, she has 25K a year, does that mean the houshold income for this year is 25k and i will be eligable for the grant next year?
Hi

You need some documentation from me to support an application for deferment for an old student loan from 1998 i.e proof I'm at uni and a copy of my NHS bursary I am in receipt of. I can't post it as I don't have any money at all for an ink cartridge to print my enrolment receipt, my bursary is delayed so I have no money at all so I can't buy a stamp, and I can't call as my phone doesn't let me call 0845 0800 or 0300 numbers! Do you have an email address I can attach the documentation I have? Thanks.
Hi SLC,

I started a degree in 2011, paying 3K each year as this was under the old system of tuition fees. However, I started a PGCE this year and am now paying 9K tuition fees. As I've taken out loans from both systems of tuition fees, I was wondering how my repayments would work? I hope this isn't a tricky question haha.

Thanks a lot!
Reply 18
I have a student loan from 2010 for my BSc and a student loan in 2013 for a PGCE tgey both have different terms and conditions. I have started repaying one of them, will I at some point be paying both at the same time?
Original post by amylockeowen
Hi,
I left uni last month and have received a letter from student finance saying they have overpaid me £611, at the moment i am currently out of employment but am currently looking for employment so which means i will not be able to pay the lot straight away.
Would i be able to make monthly payments instead of the whole lot at once? and then increase the amount once i have got an income?

Thank you.

Hi There,

We would need to have a look at your personal circumstances first.

Please give us a call on 0141 243 3030.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest