The Student Room Group

Interviews at Oxford and Cambridge

Just want to clear something up which I've heard from multiple sources.

So I've read and heard that Oxford and Cambridge treat the interview differently. Apparently, Cambridge sees the interview as only one part of the whole application and places greater emphasis on grades & UMS marks and potentially admissions test. In other words, a poor interview performance will not matter so much if you have great UMS marks (high 90% average).

On the other hand, I've heard Oxford interview fewer candidates and mainly use the UCAS application to shortlist interview invitations. And that, once you have been invited to interview, it is a 'level playing field'. Thus the interview is essentially the main determinant of who gets an offer and who doesn't (assuming Oxford only shortlists candidates for interview who show capability of getting an offer).

So yeah, to what extent is this true? Given how hefty and poorly worded this post has turned out to be, any replies will be greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
.. BUMP.
Both Universities use the interviews as part of the entire process. Your grades, test results, application and interview are all considered before places are given out and a bad interview doesn't mean you wont get a place (as told by the countless of students currently studying at Oxford that felt there interviews were bad!)

Generally it all comes down to having good grades/UMS, good test score and showing enthusiasm and a good thinking mind in the interviews....
Original post by robhughes

So I've read and heard that Oxford and Cambridge treat the interview differently. Apparently, Cambridge sees the interview as only one part of the whole application and places greater emphasis on grades & UMS marks and potentially admissions test. In other words, a poor interview performance will not matter so much if you have great UMS marks (high 90% average).

On the other hand, I've heard Oxford interview fewer candidates and mainly use the UCAS application to shortlist interview invitations. And that, once you have been invited to interview, it is a 'level playing field'. Thus the interview is essentially the main determinant of who gets an offer and who doesn't (assuming Oxford only shortlists candidates for interview who show capability of getting an offer).

So yeah, to what extent is this true? Given how hefty and poorly worded this post has turned out to be, any replies will be greatly appreciated.

That's roughly the impression I get, although I'm not sure how accurate it is.
Reply 4

This is not really the case. Most applicants to Oxford sit one of the various pre-interview admissions tests, which carry a significant weight in the pre-interview culling (and also in who gets in after interviews e.g. at least one maths tutor has expressed the opinion that the interviews are largely to choose between the borderline candidates and make sure the very strong applicants from the MAT aren't gibbering idiots). For subjects that don't have admissions tests, the interview rate is probably comparable to Cambridge; for example, about 95% of chemistry applicants are interviewed for Oxford.

I would agree with what uniqsummer has said, in that successful candidates tend to be strong in all areas of their application, although of course there are exceptions. I'd also say that there's more to be gained by looking at the course structure and content than by trying to choose between the two based on their admissions system.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by uniqsummer
Both Universities use the interviews as part of the entire process. Your grades, test results, application and interview are all considered before places are given out and a bad interview doesn't mean you wont get a place (as told by the countless of students currently studying at Oxford that felt there interviews were bad!)

Generally it all comes down to having good grades/UMS, good test score and showing enthusiasm and a good thinking mind in the interviews....

Thinking that one's interview went badly is not necessarily a sign that it did. A lot of the time, it means that one was challenged and stretched by their interview - which is pretty much the point. Admissions tutors want to see how suitable one is for a challenging and stretching course, and if one performs well under that pressure, one is likelier to thrive on the course itself.
Reply 6

Oxford are slightly different in that you get more interviews and you effectively get your "pool interview" on the original visit. They are less UMS focused than Cambridge, relying more on their tests. I think many people feel that they weight more on the interviews but there is little evidence for this. Certainly you can have what you think is a shocking interview and get an offer at either place.
What you have to remember is that at both the interviews are testes of academic thinking not of personality or employ-ability.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending