The Student Room Group

Thinking of joining the RAF, some questions before I do?

Hello all,

Very eager to join the RAF after my brother successfully joined up, I would love to do RAF Police or Medic, However, I have D's In both maths and english, sadly, messed around at school and now it's come back to bite me in the butt!! my question Is, do I neeeeed to get C grades in order to join a trade? or can I call the careers office, sort out a date with the grades I have, do the test to see what i'm capable of and if I do well I could do the RAF police/Medic? or must i have C's in order to call up and start the tests? I'm reading all sorts online so I'm not very sure! bear In mind I have 2 A levels and a C in science!

Therefore, If I need to get C's before I call up to see what trade I can do, what is acceptable/Equilavent to a C grade? Is Functional Skills level 2 in both acceptable? or do I spend 500 pounds on a Igcse/fast track igcse? Ideally I want to retake them ASAP if that is the case,

Thank you for taking time to read and welcome any input,

Scott
Have a look on the careers website it'll tell you what grades you need to be able to apply. Also there's a qualification equivalent list to see if your functional skills would be accepted.

I will say if you need to redo GCSEs then don't pay for any of the fast track things just go and sit them as a private candidate, it's like £80 or somethin, and do IGCSE aswell it's abit easier I found that full GCSE and is accepted by the RAF.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Aye it says they don't accept functional skills but was just confirming, Would any place take me as a Private candidate? Igcse's cost a fair amount but they are 1 year long :frown: - they deffo dont make acceptions if you was to do the tests and get a high score?
Reply 3
Do the exams. Get the grades. Even if you don't end up getting in it's in your interests to have them.
Reply 4
IGCSE seems to be the way forward, on the Oxford open learning site? 300 pounds each for both Maths and English? sit the exams In June
Original post by Goldcrest
IGCSE seems to be the way forward, on the Oxford open learning site? 300 pounds each for both Maths and English? sit the exams In June

If you want to do it then stop writing about it on here and commit yourself - like others have said, even if you don't end up joining the RAF, they will be useful.
Put edexcel IGCSE private candidate into google, on the site there should be a link to all the testin centres. There should be one near you depending on where you live. You study at home and then just go and take the exam when ya ready. My IGCSE English was embarrassingly easy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest