The Student Room Group

I am a Loyalist. Are you?

Scroll to see replies

Not really.

This country is a very good country to live compared with many other places, not because it's Britain, but because for the most part it's safe, well developed and we do make an effort to look after the people here. I am a republican, not because I am associated with the IRA or Catholicism, but because the very principle of being born into a certain position is wrong and is extremely backward and regressive, as is the idea of having a state religion The Church of England, which was in fact a religion which was quite literally made up for political reasons.

Original post by gladders
Whoah there. Do you mean you oppose anybody apart from MPs having input on law and policy? What about petitions, committee evidence, charity lobbying?

You are quite possibly the most intellectually dishonest poster on this forum. It's so obvious there is a difference between putting your views forward to the people who are supposed to represent you and having political power, given to you, because you were the first born child of a certain family.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 105263
Note my use of the word 'potential'.

Notice my use of the word 'potential'. But yes.

I'm not quite sure how this relates to my post.

I am saying why the Monarch is no longer directly political.
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
Yeah.

Oh dear. Parliament gets more distant, remote, and ineffective then.
Original post by william walker
No you would have civil war if you attempted to remove the Monarchy. The Loyalists would not accept it.

The right is still their, just the Monarch is constrained. The right never the less is never ending.

If a freely elected Parliament voted to oust the monarchy based on a violation of the laws and spirit of the constitution of the land by the monarch, then we'd have a republic peacefully within a week. Those few who threatened civil war over it would be jailed. No chance.
Good for them. However they still take into account a 900 year old document called Magna Carta, which wasn't only even fully enforced by the English bill of Rights. The age of something makes no difference. Parliament and Courts manipulated by Parliament not taking the English Bill of Rights into account makes no different to the fact that the English Bill of Rights is the bed rock of all the freedom we have in this country today.

Actually, the courts fully accept that the age and usage of a principle directly impacts its enforceability. Magna Carta remains relevant because the people consider it relevant, and Parliament does. The Bill of Rights is relevant to Parliament, but doesn't concern the people much any more. There are parts of it which are of no interest to either, and they have been ignored, repealed, or legislated over, including much of the aspects favouring Protestants to which you refer.
Original post by yo radical one
Not really.

This country is a very good country to live compared with many other places, not because it's Britain, but because for the most part it's safe, well developed and we do make an effort to look after the people here. I am a republican, not because I am associated with the IRA or Catholicism, but because the very principle of being born into a certain position is wrong and is extremely backward and regressive, as is the idea of having a state religion The Church of England, which was in fact a religion which was quite literally made up for political reasons.

This country is rubbish compared to what it could and should be. Why is Britain well developed and safe? The Monarchy is an institution like any other, the birth rights means the institution is independent of the other institutions and the people. As the state is more important than people. Funny that because the Church of England has the highest ranking none white person in Britain and was the first partly democratic institution in Britain. Of course it created for political reasons, so was the Catholic Church and Sunni Islam.
Original post by yo radical one

You are quite possibly the most intellectually dishonest poster on this forum. It's so obvious there is a difference between putting your views forward to the people who are supposed to represent you and having political power, given to you, because you were the first born child of a certain family.

Uh, what? The poster I addressed that to answered 'yes', and I think it's right he be made aware of the significance of what he's saying. And you've completely misunderstood the point. I was responding in particular to Snooch's tirade against anybody (not just the monarch) who was unelected and would seek to influence lawmaking. I simply pointed out that this would exclude all of us, in every capacity, and offered him the opportunity to qualify his statement. He refused and confirmed his absolutist attitude.

So get off your high horse.

For the record, I have no trouble with the monarch speaking with ministers and giving their frank opinion on things. I don't think they could, or should, influence lawmaking through bribing, giving speeches, or threatening ministers with consequences if they don't apply.

However, lobbyists do this all the time.
If a freely elected Parliament voted to oust the monarchy based on a violation of the laws and spirit of the constitution of the land by the monarch, then we'd have a republic peacefully within a week. Those few who threatened civil war over it would be jailed. No chance.

The Monarch is sovereign of Parliament and the Fount of Justice and Law. The Monarch can not be removed other than by lack of succession on the death of a Monarch, then Parliament can decided who the next Monarch will be. Other than that, the Monarch is free from Parliament and above the law.

Yeah, yeah the Liberal Party said the same thing about Ulster Loyalists in 1910, they end up with their own independent Parliament in Ulster.
Actually, the courts fully accept that the age and usage of a principle directly impacts its enforceability. Magna Carta remains relevant because the people consider it relevant, and Parliament does. The Bill of Rights is relevant to Parliament, but doesn't concern the people much any more. There are parts of it which are of no interest to either, and they have been ignored, repealed, or legislated over, including much of the aspects favouring Protestants to which you refer.

It isn't a pick and mix, it is the law. It can't be repealed or ignored, destroys the whole basis for the governmental system. It is the government which gained manipulation over the Courts and destroyed the English Bill of Rights, not the Courts off their own will. As the Courts know all the independence they have is directly dependent upon the English Bill of Rights.
The Monarch is sovereign of Parliament and the Fount of Justice and Law. The Monarch can not be removed other than by lack of succession on the death of a Monarch, then Parliament can decided who the next Monarch will be. Other than that, the Monarch is free from Parliament and above the law.

Hah. And you know how long that argument would stand if the people simply wanted the monarch gone?

Yeah, yeah the Liberal Party said the same thing about Ulster Loyalists in 1910, they end up with their own independent Parliament in Ulster.

Which was then recognised by Act of Parliament. If there had been political will after the Great War, those Loyalists would have been crushed.
Hah. And you know how long that argument would stand if the people simply wanted the monarch gone?

Which was then recognised by Act of Parliament. If there had been political will after the Great War, those Loyalists would have been crushed.

Depends on which people want the Monarch gone.

Well of course it was, the US, Canada, New Zealand and Australia were. No they wouldn't, what would have happened is the Irish nationalist would have been crushed and the Loyalist would have got what they wanted.
Depends on which people want the Monarch gone.

The majority.

Well of course it was, the US, Canada, New Zealand and Australia were. No they wouldn't, what would have happened is the Irish nationalist would have been crushed and the Loyalist would have got what they wanted.

It would have been a bloody, horrendous and long-running civil war in which neither would have got what they wanted. It worries me that you treat human life so callously.
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
**** the monarchy, **** every religion, **** any unelected person having political influence and **** most actual politicians for that matter.

Amen.
I am Loyalist, which means I am Loyal to the Monarchy, Glorious Revolution and English Bill of Rights. This means Britain is and must remain a Protestant state and the the Monarch should have direct political influence over things in the Monarch's interest. That means the Monarch is the Fount of Justice and Law, Defender of the Protestant faith, Sovereign Head of State and Head of the British Army. As such the Monarch should be able block laws and send them back to Parliament and put her own bills before Parliament. It also means from the English Bill of Rights that every Protestant British subject has the freedom to keep arms for protection of their own property.

I am not a Unionist, I support the freedom for Protestants to setup their own independent Parliament under the British state if they don't like the UK Parliament. Like Ulster did. With that in mind I support the re-establishment of the Church of Ireland and Church of Wales to extend their protection to the whole of the UK.

So are you a Loyalist?

I only agree with the bit about arms and the Bill of Rights. Then again, theoretically I do not think it is for the state to give and take rights. I believe in natural rights.

And for those who point to the US, I would remind you that Switzerland has liberal gun laws with no problems whatsoever.
Reply 34
[video="youtube;1eMSEuAe1bg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eMSEuAe1bg[/video]

Rule Britannia? :biggrin:

Monarchist and patriotic. Strictly atheist though. Republicans are idiots, they would destroy a primary source of income for the UK tourism industry, destroy our last great traditions and sever one of the few links keeping us together with our commonwealth peers.

And lastly, The United Republic? Really guys?
(edited 9 years ago)
No they wouldn't, what would have happened is the Irish nationalist would have been crushed and the Loyalist would have got what they wanted.

Would have happened in what context? The only counterfactual gladders gave was the potential presence of the political will needed to crush a loyalist rebellion.
Nope, I'm an anarchist, but as far as the state exist I'm a committed small-r republican. That said, I don't think there should ever be a "British Republic" as such - I'd quite like a federal or confederal system with autonomous 'republics' within it, vaguely based on the old Yugoslav federal model.
I'm mildly a monarchist, unionist and atheist although i'm fairly happy with the status quo rather than seeking a reversion to more monarchist power.

If we're looking for things to base a reversion around then look at the Empire and more specifically the Anglosphere. Dissolving ourselves from union with them was the worst thing the UK has ever done.
The majority.

It would have been a bloody, horrendous and long-running civil war in which neither would have got what they wanted. It worries me that you treat human life so callously.

The Majority of people wanting to remove the Monarch makes no difference if they are all of low status and poor.

You mean like the Troubles, Irish civil war, Irish War of Independence and Easter Rising?
Original post by The Dictator
I only agree with the bit about arms and the Bill of Rights. Then again, theoretically I do not think it is for the state to give and take rights. I believe in natural rights.

And for those who point to the US, I would remind you that Switzerland has liberal gun laws with no problems whatsoever.

So the first document in Human history which puts these freedoms to be protected and you don't support it?

Those people need to take a look at British just a century ago to find that the freedom to keep arms was used.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending