The Student Room Group

How to write a Maths/Physics statement?

Hi all,

Being the undecided person that I am I've chosen to incorporate Maths and also Physics in to my personal statement. Chances are I will go on to pick a Maths course but I like having the option open for Physics at the same time. My question is how much of my statement should I use for each subject? Say 50/50?

Any feedback would be great.
Although they have some similarities, the two subjects are very different so I wouldn't attempt trying to write one statement for both. You run the risk of not showing enough commitment to the subject and not getting any offers. Ask your physics unis if they'll accept a separate statement. If not you'll have to choose.
I would highly recommend deciding what to study prior to writing your personal statement, since a large part of the value of a personal statement is in conveying passion; something difficult to do when you are writing for 2 different subjects.

Of course joint honors is a thing, and so in this case I would recommend about a split roughly equivalent to that of the courses you are applying to, though keep in mind when writing that a) many skills are transferable between maths and physics and b) there is a lot of cross over between the subjects, so you would do well writing about why in particular you wish to study them together (i.e. uses of maths in physics, physical intuition in maths).
Original post by Liverpooldrc
Hi all,

Being the undecided person that I am I've chosen to incorporate Maths and also Physics in to my personal statement. Chances are I will go on to pick a Maths course but I like having the option open for Physics at the same time. My question is how much of my statement should I use for each subject? Say 50/50?

Any feedback would be great.

Do not apply to two different courses because you can't make your mind up. If this is obvious from your personal statement, admissions tutors are not going to think you're a dedicated applicant and they might well reject you because of this. Bluntly speaking, being 'undecided' isn't an excuse. You can't apply to a degree course being undecided, even if you get in, you're making a £36,000 gamble. Please don't jeopardise your application because you've not done enough research.

Worst comes to the worst and you genuinely can't decide (which would be worrying given that Maths and Physics are actually very different at university), there are Maths and Physics joint honours courses that you can apply for.
Reply 4
Original post by alleycat393
Although they have some similarities, the two subjects are very different so I wouldn't attempt trying to write one statement for both. You run the risk of not showing enough commitment to the subject and not getting any offers. Ask your physics unis if they'll accept a separate statement. If not you'll have to choose.

So if my statement consisted of Maths and a side interest in Physics, would this mean I could not apply for an engineering course?
So if my statement consisted of Maths and a side interest in Physics, would this mean I could not apply for an engineering course?

Not really - vast majority of other applicants will be talking about an interest in studying engineering, rather than other (admittedly related) subjects - you need to seem 100% dedicated to what you are applying for
Reply 6
Talk about both, especially the application of maths and if you know anything about how series and integration/differentiation and other mathematical ideas are used in physics. Helps a lot if you do a tiny bit of extra reading or take Mechanics modules

I applied for Maths and Physics joint honours and got 5 offers :tongue:

One key thing admissions staff are looking for in a PS is that an applicant has a good understanding of the subject they are applying for.

Applying for engineering with a maths and physics PS demonstrates that you have not understood what an engineering degree entails.
Reply 8
Thank you all, I will decide this week what to take up. :smile:

Whilst in reality, a great deal of personal statements aren't even read, it would still be wise to assume that yours will be read, and will also be what decides whether your application goes in the "offer" or "reject" pile (figuratively speaking). Therefore, with a maths and/or physics PS, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending