The Student Room Group

Rewriting lecture notes - time consuming?

Hi all, so I'm currently studying Biomedical Science

When I first started going to lectures what I would do is record the lecture then go home and write the lecture slides word for word, adding what the lecturer said as well. This was far too time consuming and I quickly learnt that I needed to change my methods...

So recently I've been making annotations in the actual lecture regarding what the lecturer says and then coming home and writing summaries on 2 sides of A4 per lecture. This has been OK for a while, but now I'm finding this is starting to take up too much time as well. It usually takes half an hour to write a summary per lecture. I finish usually about 4-5pm at least and have usually 2-3 lectures per day so this means I get left with little time for extra reading or doing worksheets.

I'm considering just ditching rewriting my lecture handouts and instead just reading directly from the handouts once or twice when I get home which would save me a lot of time

What do you guys do? (Whatever you study)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Bump!
Reply 2
Different people learn and remember in different ways. I needed to write up lecture notes otherwise I wouldn't have a chance of remembering anything. Other people can take in information just by hearing it in the lectures. Others need to read it.

If writing lecture notes isn't helpful for you, maybe you just remember by doing something different. It's perfectly possible that just reading the handouts will work for you. You can always supplement them by scribbling additional notes on them as you read, if you need to. That might be less time-consuming if you find that you need to write as well.

There's no right or wrong way of studying. There's just what works for you. Which is how I spent most of my degree doing nothing until 3pm every day, then working through until 10pm. That 's just the time of day I did my best stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending