The Student Room Group

The Sony Playstation Society V

Welcome to the fifth incarnation of the discussion thread for TSR's PlayStation gaming group - click here to join. :awesome:

This is the place for all PlayStation-related discussion, be that on the two current systems, the PS4 and PS Vita, or any of Sony's earlier consoles, from the PS3 right back to the original PlayStation.

For those looking to find others for online gaming on the PlayStation Network, there's a list of PSN IDs on the previous thread, which can be found here. However, I'm not going to reproduce that list here as it's an old list and so will include many who have now left TSR. Instead, I'll use this thread as an opportunity to start afresh with a new and current list - feel free to post your PSN ID in this thread and I'll try to update this post to include you.

If you do choose to send a friend request to others based on this list, please say that you're from TSR in your invite, so that they know that it isn't some random person adding them!

PSN ID list

If you're new to PlayStation gaming or have just bought yourself (or received as a gift!) a new console, congratulations! Please feel free to ask for recommendations here, but if you do, please let us know a little about what sort of games you usually enjoy. Various major sites also offer a list of recommendations - here are Kotaku's lists, to get you started:

PS3 recommendations / PS4 recommendations / PS Vita recommendations

For reference, the previous discussion threads can be found here:
Thread IV: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1644477
Thread III: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1350344
Thread II: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=972000
Thread I; http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=419511
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Picking up from the last thread...
dhr90
Seriously considering getting a Vita now. I've a few things I could trade into CEX so the console would cost about £50. I have a backlog of 5-10 PS plus games I'm interested in (plus loads more I added because why wouldn't you if they are free?) and looking in CEX and on amazon there is several more I'd be interested in.
How good is the screen on it?
Is it any good for youtube/iplayer/general internet? Currently use my phone around the house but the small screen is starting to get on my nerves.
Which memory card do you have and how many games can it hold?
Are the multiplayer games any good (lots of players, little lag etc) or is it mainly single player?
Hmmm... it's not clear whether you're considering this, but personally I'd say try to get a new or refurbished model rather than going to CeX if you can help it - knowing what they'll accept, you may end up with a console that hasn't seen that much care taken of it!

I have an original model and IMO the screen is as good as it's generally made out to be, with excellent definition and brightness. The new model's LCD screen is supposedly not quite as good, but still not bad by any means.

I only really use mine for games rather than music/video (I was using an iPod Touch for a fair while; that's since died, but my phone is more than capable for what I need on that front) so can't comment beyond that. The focus of the console is, from what I've seen, weighted much more towards single-player than multi-player. I've not really tried multi-player to any extent, though, so can't really comment from personal experience on how it holds up there.

Finally, for memory cards just get the largest that you can afford (they go up to 32GB, or 64GB if you import a Japanese card) - with PS+, you'll easily fill it!
Reply 2
Original post by Illusionary
Picking up from the last thread...

Hmmm... it's not clear whether you're considering this, but personally I'd say try to get a new or refurbished model rather than going to CeX if you can help it - knowing what they'll accept, you may end up with a console that hasn't seen that much care taken of it!

I have an original model and IMO the screen is as good as it's generally made out to be, with excellent definition and brightness. The new model's LCD screen is supposedly not quite as good, but still not bad by any means.

I only really use mine for games rather than music/video (I was using an iPod Touch for a fair while; that's since died, but my phone is more than capable for what I need on that front) so can't comment beyond that. The focus of the console is, from what I've seen, weighted much more towards single-player than multi-player. I've not really tried multi-player to any extent, though, so can't really comment from personal experience on how it holds up there.

Finally, for memory cards just get the largest that you can afford (they go up to 32GB, or 64GB if you import a Japanese card) - with PS+, you'll easily fill it!

New is too expensive for me to get my moneys worth from it, same with refurbished. Mainly looking at CEX as I have a PC racing wheel I was going to trade in, they currently offer more than I'd get for it on ebay at the moment. I wouldn't buy one that wasn't pristine and with a box in equal condition. If someone keeps and takes good care of the packaging they are likely to be a careful owner (well, it works like that, mostly, in photography anyway).

Its more the OLED screen vs the LED screen debate I'm thinking of. Currently on an iphone 4s by way of comparison. Of course it could be I just need glasses..

I won't be using it for music/films, just streaming tv etc.

Anyone else got a Vita and tried multiplayer?

Decent sized memory cards then. Only seen 16GB advertised which felt a little small.
reading online earlier that the PS4 has already sold nearly as many copies as the Wii U and XBO combined, makes me think I definitely made the right choice to make it my first current gen console!

while im here, reading that top PS4 games list, only one I don't have but might like on there is Wolfenstein: New Order - people here think it's worth getting? :smile:
Original post by Jean-Luc Picard
reading online earlier that the PS4 has already sold nearly as many copies as the Wii U and XBO combined, makes me think I definitely made the right choice to make it my first current gen console!

Around that ballpark probably isn't too far off, though sadly the Wii U's sales generally have been pretty poor so far. The situation does seem to be improving with the recent (and upcoming) releases for Wii U, at least!
while im here, reading that top PS4 games list, only one I don't have but might like on there is Wolfenstein: New Order - people here think it's worth getting? :smile:

That depends what you want from an FPS - there's no multiplayer at all, but that means that the single-player has received a lot of attention, in a good way. It's probably the best FPS on the console so far, IMO.
Around that ballpark probably isn't too far off, though sadly the Wii U's sales generally have been pretty poor so far. The situation does seem to be improving with the recent (and upcoming) releases for Wii U, at least!

That depends what you want from an FPS - there's no multiplayer at all, but that means that the single-player has received a lot of attention, in a good way. It's probably the best FPS on the console so far, IMO.

yeah, I have all three of the previous gen consoles and my plan is to eventually get a Wii U/XBO as well but I went for PS4 first as it had some good deals on and it's supposed to have the most powerful hardware as well.

not fussed tbh, if I want FPS multiplayer then I have games like CoD anyway, if it's got a good single player then that's good enough for me, love a good FPS!
There's a rather nice PS4 sale on from the PlayStation Store at the moment, especially so for PS Plus members. Details are in the link below, but I'd specifically mention as highlights:
CounterSpy - £4.99
Rogue Legacy - £3.99
MGS: Ground Zeroes - £7.49

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/11/12/big-savings-ps4-games-start-today-double-discounts-ps-plus-members/
Good price for Rogue Legacy. I had to leave that game one trophy away from platinum. :frown: Wasn't worth my sanity.

Kind of disappointing offers for inFamous and Watch Dogs. I ended up buying a used copy of Watch Dogs for £16 this week, waiting for a similar price on inFamous.

Got the platinum for the new CoD. Multiplayer is pretty much crap as it currently stands, but somehow as addictive as ever.

AC Unity arrived yesterday but I've hardly played it yet. Think I'll hang on until my expectations reach rock bottom, at least then I won't be too disappoitned. :tongue:
Original post by AugustWestie
Good price for Rogue Legacy. I had to leave that game one trophy away from platinum. :frown: Wasn't worth my sanity.

Kind of disappointing offers for inFamous and Watch Dogs. I ended up buying a used copy of Watch Dogs for £16 this week, waiting for a similar price on inFamous.

Got the platinum for the new CoD. Multiplayer is pretty much crap as it currently stands, but somehow as addictive as ever.

AC Unity arrived yesterday but I've hardly played it yet. Think I'll hang on until my expectations reach rock bottom, at least then I won't be too disappoitned. :tongue:

You really are powering through the new releases, by all accounts!

I'm nearing the end of the Shadow of Mordor story, though there's still a fair amount of side content left (roughly half of the 'legend' and outcast missions) - 78% through at the latest count. It's certainly lived up to expectations!

Spoiler

I've also finished up with Dust (platinum run), which was worth the time that I put into it - and incredibly impressive for a game from pretty much just one person!

I'm unlikely to be buying any more of the recent/upcoming releases for at least a month or so - I'll be away from my PS4 for most of December, so there's little point - but expect to be picking up both AC: Rogue and AC: Unity in time. From what I've seen of the Unity reviews, there's a good game in there so long as you're prepared for the areas where it's lacking. Hopefully it'll have been patched by the time I get to it, while also dropping in price a little! Far Cry 4 is the other very likely purchase for me within a few months; Advanced Warfare I'll also get, but I'm more than happy to wait a while there.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm still playing Destiny. Getting Far Cry 4 next week though so pretty excited for that. Early indications are that it's very similar to Far Cry 3, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. GTA V is also on my watchlist but I will probably wait for reviews.
Reply 10
I'm thinking of taking advantage of the sale on the PS store, there's a few games on there that I missed before I bought my PS4 a couple of months ago. Would anybody recommend Killzone Shadow Fall, or Sleeping Dogs?

I just finished Tomb Raider which I bought from last weeks weekly deal section. I really liked it. Although I'm on holiday from work at the moment so I powered through the story mode in a few days, and now I need something else to play ha.
Reply 11
Original post by Cll_ws
I'm thinking of taking advantage of the sale on the PS store, there's a few games on there that I missed before I bought my PS4 a couple of months ago. Would anybody recommend Killzone Shadow Fall, or Sleeping Dogs?

I just finished Tomb Raider which I bought from last weeks weekly deal section. I really liked it. Although I'm on holiday from work at the moment so I powered through the story mode in a few days, and now I need something else to play ha.

I didn't enjoy Killzone as much as the previous ones. Haven't even tried online. Glad I didn't spend more than £10 on it, it's simply lost something it used to have. Pretty sure it is cheaper in cex etc if you have one near you? Plus a disc copy has resale value.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cll_ws

Sleeping Dogs, very much so - it's one of the best recent 'open world' games around. It shares quite a lot with the likes of GTA, but with a refreshing focus on hand-to-hand combat. Killzone: Shadow Fall has to get a more qualified recommendation, I think, and you can get a physical copy for fair amount less than the current PSN sale if that's of interest.

Good to see that Far Cry 4 is getting a positive reception - that means that it's pretty much definite that I'll be picking it up before too long. As above, though, while I'm I'm now done with Shadow of Mordor, I'm going to explore some more of my current collection for the time being, especially having recently acquired Shovel Knight on Wii U and having a wide range of former PS+ titles that I've not spent too long on yet - the likes of Steamworld Dig on PS4.
One thing that is massively bugging me with the PS4 is how slow it is to send and receive messages. It seems to have gotten worse since Destiny released. I guess because of the lack of matachmaking, people are spamming invites and friend requests and it's messed things up. Sony need to fix this or at least acknowledge the problem.

Far Cry and Dragon Age next week!
Original post by NathanW18
One thing that is massively bugging me with the PS4 is how slow it is to send and receive messages. It seems to have gotten worse since Destiny released. I guess because of the lack of matachmaking, people are spamming invites and friend requests and it's messed things up. Sony need to fix this or at least acknowledge the problem.

Far Cry and Dragon Age next week!

You're getting both next week? If so, you're certainly going to be busy!
You're getting both next week? If so, you're certainly going to be busy!

Yeah, I'm getting both!

Pretty excited to be getting some new games. Destiny is getting a bit stale now. I've been playing it since release and haven't played anything else since it's been out. I need something new to play.

Seriously considering getting a Vita now. I've a few things I could trade into CEX so the console would cost about £50. I have a backlog of 5-10 PS plus games I'm interested in (plus loads more I added because why wouldn't you if they are free?) and looking in CEX and on amazon there is several more I'd be interested in.
How good is the screen on it?
Is it any good for youtube/iplayer/general internet? Currently use my phone around the house but the small screen is starting to get on my nerves.
Which memory card do you have and how many games can it hold?
Are the multiplayer games any good (lots of players, little lag etc) or is it mainly single player?

I have an original model with the OLED screen and the screen is pretty great, tbh. It's crisp and vibrant indoors and outdoors but direct sunlight can be a bit of an issue if you're using the touchscreen a lot since it makes your fingerprints and smudges appear, although that's not necessarily a screen issue.

I've used it for youtube and it's fine, the display is good enough. Not tried it for general browsing enough to really comment. I don't really like the keyboard, though that might just be because I'm not used to using it.

The Vita uses proprietary memory cards and the prices are extortionate for what they are so I'd recommend getting a 64GB card off amazon or play-asia for ~£60 (not sure of import costs from play-asia). This is much better value for money than getting, say, a 32GB which'll be ~£50.
This should last you a long time but will slowly fill up as you get more and more games from PS+.

With regards to online multiplayer, there's only two games I've tried. The first is Killzone Mercenary, which is absolutely fantastic. Can always find a game, haven't experienced any lag and the game itself honestly feels like a console FPS in my hands.
The second is LittleBigPlanet Vita, which disappointingly has a lot of issues for me. I pretty much always experience massive lag when playing that online with a lot of disconnects: two players is terrible and with four players it's almost impossible to play together. Also, online level loading times can take a while but that's to be expected I guess. I'm pretty sure it's the game that has this problem and it's not my vita's internet.

Hope this is of some use :smile:
Any trade-in/upgrade offers knocking about for GTA V PS3 to PS4? I'd like to get it on PS4 but not really willing to pay full price for a game I already own.

I'm pumped for FC4, going to draw me away from Destiny for sure. Will probably get Dragon Age Inquisition when i'm finished with it.
(edited 9 years ago)
You really are powering through the new releases, by all accounts!

I'm nearing the end of the Shadow of Mordor story, though there's still a fair amount of side content left (roughly half of the 'legend' and outcast missions) - 78% through at the latest count. It's certainly lived up to expectations!

Spoiler

I've also finished up with Dust (platinum run), which was worth the time that I put into it - and incredibly impressive for a game from pretty much just one person!

I'm unlikely to be buying any more of the recent/upcoming releases for at least a month or so - I'll be away from my PS4 for most of December, so there's little point - but expect to be picking up both AC: Rogue and AC: Unity in time. From what I've seen of the Unity reviews, there's a good game in there so long as you're prepared for the areas where it's lacking. Hopefully it'll have been patched by the time I get to it, while also dropping in price a little! Far Cry 4 is the other very likely purchase for me within a few months; Advanced Warfare I'll also get, but I'm more than happy to wait a while there.

Congrats on Dust. :biggrin: Find it difficult at all? I found I was going through healing items at an alarming rate.

AC: Unity is great so far. The issues with the game have been massively exaggerated. At its core it is a fantastic Assassin's Creed game, and Paris is absolutely amazing.

Never played a Dragon Age game, can anyone tell me if I need to have played any of the previous ones to play Inquisition? Potential purchase for me when I've worked through some of my backlog.

Speaking of backlog, picked up The Wolf Among Us on PS4. Very much looking forward to playing through that. It'll be the first game of its kind that I've played. I'm eagerly awaiting the Game of Thrones games. :biggrin:
Original post by AugustWestie
Congrats on Dust. :biggrin: Find it difficult at all? I found I was going through healing items at an alarming rate.

To an extent, though nothing *too* bad. It's going to depend quite significantly on how far you've levelled and how you've prioritised your upgrades. A few of the challenges were a pain for a while (they all need 4-starring).
AC: Unity is great so far. The issues with the game have been massively exaggerated. At its core it is a fantastic Assassin's Creed game, and Paris is absolutely amazing.

I'm glad to hear the positive feedback! My "to-buy" list of recent/imminent releases is looking just a touch long right now :ahee: Once they hit £30 or below, I think I'll be getting each one, as I did for Shadow of Mordor (I might let AC: Rogue drop a little further as it's a PS3 title so will hopefully drop more quickly - and I've heard a little speculation of it coming to PS4/Xbox One eventually)

AC: Unity
AC: Rogue
Far Cry 4
Dragon Age Inquisition
GTA V (just bought GTA IV for £2, because I could :tongue:)
CoD: Advanced Warfare
(next year - I've just picked up Ghosts for £11)

(also, Captain Toad, Treasure Tracker)

I've got two weeks to fill while trying to avoid new full-price purchases, which I'm hoping to manage mainly with PS+ backlog, CounterSpy and Shovel Knight.... but do I need Rogue Legacy?
Never played a Dragon Age game, can anyone tell me if I need to have played any of the previous ones to play Inquisition? Potential purchase for me when I've worked through some of my backlog.

From what I've heard of it, you'll get some additional understanding of the backstory, but it's far from required.
Speaking of backlog, picked up The Wolf Among Us on PS4. Very much looking forward to playing through that. It'll be the first game of its kind that I've played. I'm eagerly awaiting the Game of Thrones games. :biggrin:

You're in for a great time, I can assure you of that! Do your best to avoid spoilers is all the advice that I'll give for now.

Quick Reply

Latest