The Student Room Group

EU court rules member states can deny benefits to EU immigrants

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/11224615/EU-benefit-tourists-face-being-sent-home-after-landmark-court-ruling.html

EU benefit tourists face being sent home after landmark court ruling

The German government won a high-profile case which established the right of European countries to deny benefits to EU migrants who refuse to work and do not have any money

About bloody time!

Bye bye bye bye!

Lets party like its 19------99........... :banana:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Where is the evidence for this so-called "benefit tourism" in the UK?
Reply 2
Original post by VladThe1mpaler

Why do I need to provide it?

You dont come here, not work and claim benefits.

Now we can starve the EU scroungers out!!!!
As every piece of research into the subject shows, benefit tourism is a complete myth.
Original post by billydisco
Why do I need to provide it?

You dont come here, not work and claim benefits.

Now we can starve the EU scroungers out!!!!

The point is that there are no "EU scroungers".

To say there are none is just as stupid as saying all EU immigrants are scroungers.

There isn't any. Just a week ago, UCL released research (http://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-articles/1114/051114-economic-impact-EU-immigration) that showed EU immigrants have paid more in taxes than they've received in benefits. So they've given more than they've taken. Many other interesting facts about how immigration has positively impacted the UK economy in that research as well.
Original post by DaveSmith99
As every piece of research into the subject shows, benefit tourism is a complete myth.

Don't waste your time.

Billydisco cares more about what he thinks is ''common sense'' than real evidence.
I work in a neonatal unit and the amount of foreign mothers we get who work for only a few weeks or not at all, have their baby, then demand and get a council house + benefits, is higher than you'd think so if this helps reduce that than so be it.
Original post by SHallowvale
Don't waste your time.

Billydisco cares more about what he thinks is ''common sense'' than real evidence.

If we are lucky, Billy might demonstrate how sound his logic is. It might look something like:

EU immigrants are people
People need money to buy things
Benefits are paid in money
Therefore EU migrants will all claim benefits

That's all true. Show me none of those things are true.

EU immigrants are to blame for all the bad. You know that annoying thing where when a washing machine stops, you have to wait ages for the door to unlock? Yup, EU immigrants.

Rant rant rant....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Skip_Snip
To say there are none is just as stupid as saying all EU immigrants are scroungers.

That was a mistake, what I meant to say is that there isn't a significant amount.
Might not be quite the good news UK is looking for, may mean that any further negotiations for reform with regard to freedom of movement will come to an end.

No EU scroungers?? There wouldn't be this case if there wasn't :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Alfissti
Might not be quite the good news UK is looking for, may mean that any further negotiations for reform with regard to freedom of movement will come to an end.

No EU scroungers?? There wouldn't be this case if there wasn't :smile:

By the way it's the free movement of workers. Also this is by no means a landmark ruling because as it's the free movement of workers, if a noncitizen isn't working or actively looking for work (unless in a household where someone works) then it is perfectly fine to send them back to the country they came from.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It does not go far enough. We should also limit the numbers of people that come into the UK.

We should never have let economically inferior Eastern European countries like Poland, Slovakia, Romania, Bulgaria, Lithuania etc join

I hope in the future Britain vetos any EU enlargement.
Reply 14

Then nobody will get affected by the ruling, so whats your point? :wink:
Reply 15
Original post by Reluire
There isn't any. Just a week ago, UCL released research (http://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-articles/1114/051114-economic-impact-EU-immigration) that showed EU immigrants have paid more in taxes than they've received in benefits. So they've given more than they've taken. Many other interesting facts about how immigration has positively impacted the UK economy in that research as well.

Oh so every one of the 4 million immigrants works, is that what you're telling me?

Thats really strange because I personally know of many EU immigrant families who don't :rolleyes:
Reply 16
Original post by InnerTemple
If we are lucky, Billy might demonstrate how sound his logic is. It might look something like:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awwwww- you still upset because you tried arguing extra people migrating to a country doesn't increase the demand for housing? :wink:
Reply 17
Original post by Torum
By the way it's the free movement of workers. Also this is by no means a landmark ruling because as it's the free movement of workers, if a noncitizen isn't working or actively looking for work (unless in a household where someone works) then it is perfectly fine to send them back to the country they came from.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its not movement of workers- its a little more complicated.

If a family of 20 moves here, say parents, children, aunts and uncles- only one of them has to be self sufficient for the whole family to be able to claim benefits......
Original post by billydisco
Then nobody will get affected by the ruling, so whats your point? :wink:

My point is that things like this will just continue to perpetuate the myth that "immigrants are scroungers"/bad for the economy etc.
My point is that things like this will just continue to perpetuate the myth that "immigrants are scroungers"/bad for the economy etc.

No it doesn't. It does in no way portray that immigrants are scroungers as they are clearly talking about benefit tourism.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending