The Student Room Group

Advice regarding Uni courses

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by HugeA
So, I'll give a little bit of context, I'm a retake student with predicted grades of A*AA and don't do any Sciences aside from Maths. My dilemma is mainly to do with Civil Engineering and Economics. I'd like to know, for someone who's decently interested in economics and not particularly fond of physics, or any subject for that matter, what degree should I pick out of the two? Obviously most will say "pick Economics" but I'd like to know how the respective job markets of the two are as well as how easy to change into another profession both are. I've done a lot of research but I feel I haven't found conclusive results. I understand it's very far into the year and the UCAS process to have such dilemma's however I'm just really indecisive and anxious about making such an impactful decision. I am also quite prepared for either degree application.

By the way as a retake student is it unrealistic for me to apply to a couple upper tier Uni's like UCL?

I know people who have jumped across from engineering into the city and other jobs related to Economics, but NOT the other way round. I have applied for Economics at uni, and I know that that is the area of job that I want to go into after graduating... Going from Economics into civil engineering would be quite difficult I would imagine because the skills for engineering need to be learnt on the course, or you may have to retake courses...

Quick Reply

Latest