The Student Room Group

Do you ever wonder whether studying is useless?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Roving Fish
You wouldn't just walk into a job, obviously. However in my industry it's based more on your portfolio than your education. The degree cert is just a nice little bonus.

Additionally, I already have a job that I could easily progress in. :smile:

Your industry is non-existent to be fair

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrMango
Your industry is non-existent to be fair

Posted from TSR Mobile

Graphic Design? No, I can confirm that it's thriving. :smile:
Reply 62
Original post by tinyflame
Ohw this is quite new, I thought that would only be for students or something?

We are pretty much up for moving out of London now, as it's far cheaper, easier and less stressful.

We still have a chance of staying in London, but that would involve either sharing a house with 10 other strangers (a few who seem quite threatening and criminal to me tbh) or try to chase up the various flats that do offer housing benefit, but we won't be able to afford the one months rent + deposit like they usually demand.

Compared to outside London, we have already found two places, and we hope tha we find more.

But please never move to London on an unsteady income, becoming homeless here is an absolute trap with all these sky high rents! :frown:

Well, if you do As you will be a student but they are not fussy , I live in private halls and I know lots of non students. Have money will stay that's all they care about.

If they ask and they RARELY do, say you are on placement and that will be OK.
I graduated 6 months ago and i'm starting to think that my degree isn't worth the paper it's written on. I doubt i'll ever use the content I learnt again in my entire life, and it's made absolutely no difference in terms of looking for a job.
In my mind I am aware that being highly qualified will benefit me in the long term, but I always wonder that if I were to run say a medium sized business. The people being employed are the same person whether they are highly qualified or have no qualifications at all (unless their degree directly relates to the job), so I really would try to look more at how much potential they have, their personality, their drive, their raw ability etc.
Reply 65
Original post by sr90
I graduated 6 months ago and i'm starting to think that my degree isn't worth the paper it's written on. I doubt i'll ever use the content I learnt again in my entire life, and it's made absolutely no difference in terms of looking for a job.

What did you study?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrMango
What did you study?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have a 2.1 in History from a good uni. Makes no difference though. One of my friends is the same age as me and she didn't go to uni, yet we're applying for the same sort of jobs. Just makes me think... why did I do this?
Reply 67
Original post by sr90
I have a 2.1 in History from a good uni. Makes no difference though. One of my friends is the same age as me and she didn't go to uni, yet we're applying for the same sort of jobs. Just makes me think... why did I do this?

Well you did study History what did you expect? You really don't need a degree to be a museum tour guide.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depends what your ultimate aim is.

I don't see doing something you enjoy as useless.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending