The Student Room Group

Do you ever wonder whether studying is useless?

Like investing time and money into education and chances of getting a job in your chosen field being slim? I'm in this situation now where I'm training to go into a particular field but chances of getting work are slim as hell due to competition and lack of jobs In general tbh and I don't see the outlook improving... I can't be the only one in this situation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah, I think about this a lot, especially when I'm struggling with some of my subjects. I just feel like calling it quits

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
if the chances are so slim then why did you enter the course in 1st place?
Reply 3
Original post by mrkl
if the chances are so slim then why did you enter the course in 1st place?

Well to be fair every darn sector is competitive and uni grads are signing on with the job centre these days. I'm interested in the subject thats why I entered the course.. I'm not going to do a course I hate just because I think I'd find a job quicker within that particular field.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Which degree are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, of course.

However, there are worse things to have than a degree, and generally speaking being educated makes you more interesting and more useful = more likely to be hired.
i think its worth the effort in the end. I'll have a graduate job if i do well with engineering but i'll be damned if student in the future can have a 20min operation to input 4-5 years of uni education via a microchip into their brains and only pay £300 for it.
Original post by MrMango
Like investing time and money into education and chances of getting a job in your chosen field being slim? I'm in this situation now where I'm training to go into a particular field but chances of getting work are slim as hell due to competition and lack of jobs In general tbh and I don't see the outlook improving... I can't be the only one in this situation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by °_°
Yeah, I think about this a lot, especially when I'm struggling with some of my subjects. I just feel like calling it quits

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are you guys studying?

Don't give up :h: You'll be in a much stronger position with a qualification than without one. It will open doors for you. Even if you don't end up in your chosen field, you never know what else is out there. :h:

I couldn't get a job when I left university, but because I had a degree I could easily take a year out teaching abroad to get some life experience and sort everything out. :h:Without a degree I would have a lot less choice.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
You can't see the practical benefit of studying immediately, so yes I do sometimes think it's useless.
After studying, you know something you didn't previously know. Surely that is a worthwhile goal in itself?
Reply 10
Nope, chances of me getting a job in my field are near certain if I pass my course, and studying harder gives me a better chance of getting the better jobs. Besides, if your chances are slim if you do study they are nonexistent if you don't.

Plus learning for learning's sake is worthwhile anyway.
Yeah. I have been questioning it a lot recently both my course and uni.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by cole-slaw
After studying, you know something you didn't previously know. Surely that is a worthwhile goal in itself?

How is learning something that has no relevance or benefit to your life be worthwhile?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrMango
How is learning something that has no relevance or benefit to your life be worthwhile?
Posted from TSR Mobile

So only learn things that are relevant and beneficial, simple!
Reply 14
Original post by cole-slaw
So only learn things that are relevant and beneficial, simple!

that was a question hence the tone and "?"

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, just no. NEVER. Studying is never useless in my opinion, you gain knowledge and wisdom which you never knew before.
That surely is beneficial for survival. :biggrin:
Original post by lucaf
Nope, chances of me getting a job in my field are near certain if I pass my course, and studying harder gives me a better chance of getting the better jobs. Besides, if your chances are slim if you do study they are nonexistent if you don't.

Plus learning for learning's sake is worthwhile anyway.

Which course are your doing?
Reply 17
Original post by ankur_sharam309
Which course are your doing?

Veterinary medicine
Reply 18
Original post by MrMango
Well to be fair every darn sector is competitive and uni grads are signing on with the job centre these days. I'm interested in the subject thats why I entered the course.. I'm not going to do a course I hate just because I think I'd find a job quicker within that particular field.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course and I was not implying you should do something just for career prospects.

But I would go further and say that you need to be totally passionate about your subject and not just like it, since in this day and age with the costs being so high,the reasons need to be strong to justify the expenditure
Yes! That's why I hardly do any :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending