The Student Room Group

TSR’s 'most helpful' contest: £20 a day up for grabs

This competition is now complete

Winners list

Could you be The Student Room’s most helpful member?

Every day we have stacks of new discussions being started on TSR, most of which turn into busy conversations.

But there are always some that get missed, where someone creates a new thread and then never gets a reply. And that makes the internet sad.

After all, we all like to get a friendly and helpful reply when we make a post.

So here’s where you come in. Our goal is for all new threads to get replies and so for the rest of November we’ll be running a contest for TSR’s most remarkably helpful members.

It’s dead easy. Every time you answer a thread that’s currently got no replies, you’ll earn one point. At the end of each day, the person with the most points wins. And, as well as the warm fuzzy feeling you’ll get from being kind of a big deal on TSR, we’ll also give you £20. Bingo.

It goes without saying, but to be eligible for the contest your posts need to be constructive. We’ll take a look through the winner’s replies each day to double-check.

Ready to get started then? Nice one. Here you can find [URL="http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/search.php?filter[type]=thread&filter[replyCount]=0&filter[date]=[NOW-168HOUR%20TO%20*]&filter[-forumid]=(69+OR+910)&sortby=date+desc"]all of the currently unanswered threads on TSR. This search is limited to threads started between one minute and seven days ago those are the only threads that qualify for this competition.

The contest starts today (12 November) and runs until 30 November, so there are lots of chance to win.

While you’re replying, you might come across threads that you think have been posted in the wrong section. If so, please let us know using the report button, or by quoting in the community team in your reply using the quote code below.

TSR Community Team members

Competition rules:

(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

that sound like a marvellous idea
Does answering this thread count?
Original post by cole-slaw
Does answering this thread count?

Yep, but the bear beat you to it...
Reply 4
That should make those angry educational elitists from the other thread happy.

Good idea, and good compromise.
Reply 5
Nice that TSR is recognising helpfulness, but is there a way that recognition could go on someone's profile or user banner? That way people could know who's answers were well regarded/likely to be accurate and helpful.

And, just because I like picking holes in things... What if your post is not the first answer, but is more helpful than the first?
Original post by Drewski
Nice that TSR is recognising helpfulness, but is there a way that recognition could go on someone's profile or user banner? That way people could know who's answers were well regarded/likely to be accurate and helpful.

This is definitely something that we'd like to do. There's a bit of work that needs to go into making this happen, but watch this space.

Original post by Drewski
And, just because I like picking holes in things... What if your post is not the first answer, but is more helpful than the first?

What we see with unanswered threads is that, once the first reply is made, it tends to open the floodgates for more. So the more helpful posts made, the merrier! But for the time being we're only going to be able to track those who are making the first post.
Interesting. I'm out all day, but I shall see if I can help someone somewhere later on today! :smile:
I'm going to be able to quit my job with the amount of money I make off this.

I've been letting people know they need to pull themselves together on here for years.
Original post by shooks
[URL="http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/search.php?filter[type]=thread&filter[replyCount]=0&filter[date]=[NOW-168HOUR%20TO%20*]&filter[-forumid]=69&sortby=date+desc"]Jump straight to the unanswered thread list

Could you be The Student Room’s most helpful member?

Every day we have stacks of new discussions being started on TSR, most of which turn into busy conversations.

But there are always some that get missed, where someone creates a new thread and then never gets a reply. And that makes the internet sad.

After all, we all like to get a friendly and helpful reply when we make a post.

So here’s where you come in. Our goal is for all new threads to get replies and so for the rest of November we’ll be running a contest for TSR’s most remarkably helpful members.

It’s dead easy. Every time you answer a thread that’s currently got no replies, you’ll earn one point. At the end of each day, the person with the most points wins. And, as well as the warm fuzzy feeling you’ll get from being kind of a big deal on TSR, we’ll also give you £20. Bingo.

It goes without saying, but to be eligible for the contest your posts need to be constructive. We’ll take a look through the winner’s replies each day to double-check.

Ready to get started then? Nice one. Here you can find [URL="http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/search.php?filter[type]=thread&filter[replyCount]=0&filter[date]=[NOW-168HOUR%20TO%20*]&filter[-forumid]=69&sortby=date+desc"]all of the currently unanswered threads on TSR. This search is limited to threads started between one minute and seven days ago those are the only threads that qualify for this competition.

The contest starts today (12 November) and runs until 30 November, so there are lots of chance to win.

While you’re replying, you might come across threads that you think have been posted in the wrong section. If so, please let us know using the report button, or by quoting in the community team in your reply using the quote code below.

TSR Community Team members

Competition rules:

Thanks for the heads up! Only just noticed this so will definitely have a look around the unanswered threads! :smile:
It is rather bad that there are over 1000 unanswered threads in the last week actually.

Original post by keromedic
Sarcasm?

No, I love owt like that. I work in IT and do database stuffs. :yep:
Original post by mikeyd85
It is rather bad that there are over 1000 unanswered threads in the last week actually.

No, I love owt like that. I work in IT and do database stuffs. :yep:

In that case we ought to make sure that there are 0 unanswered threads! :smile:

Hopefully these competitions will help :smile:

As for spamming - the CT should check all of the winners posts and if they are unconstructive, the next person should win.
Reply 12
Who quoted me in here?
Original post by Aph
Who quoted me in here?

I was also thinking that, is there some sort of mass quote feature mods can use?
Reply 14
Original post by SophieSmall
I was also thinking that, is there some sort of mass quote feature mods can use?

But there isn't a physical quote anywhere...
Original post by Aph

I know...but I don't know. :frown:
This contest is going to turn people greedy instead of helpful. :tongue:
Original post by Aph

I know...but I don't know. :frown:

I think Shooks used Witchcraft.
Original post by Penguinfarts

Can always rely on you to have answers!
Can always rely on you to have answers!

Original post by Penguinfarts

Original post by Aph

Mwahahaha!

Quick Reply