The Student Room Group

Healthcare graduate looking to get into Marketing or Management

Hi guys,

A little bit about me. I am a Physiotherapy graduate from Cardiff in 2012 with a 2:1. Since then I have worked as a Physiotherapist in the NHS for one year and as a personal trainer for a year too. I have lots of unofficial marketing and sales experience through my work as a personal trainer and other jobs in the service industry but no actual experience working within business or marketing.

I am looking to change the industry that I work in, in order to find more stability, satisfaction and income. I want to work in either marketing or management but am unsure of the best path for me to get there.

It seems that there are graduate schemes, masters programs and internships. Some of these state that I need a degree from a relevant discipline. What are anyone elses experiences with this and what would you recommend I look into?
Original post by krish.owen
Hi guys,

A little bit about me. I am a Physiotherapy graduate from Cardiff in 2012 with a 2:1. Since then I have worked as a Physiotherapist in the NHS for one year and as a personal trainer for a year too. I have lots of unofficial marketing and sales experience through my work as a personal trainer and other jobs in the service industry but no actual experience working within business or marketing.

I am looking to change the industry that I work in, in order to find more stability, satisfaction and income. I want to work in either marketing or management but am unsure of the best path for me to get there.

It seems that there are graduate schemes, masters programs and internships. Some of these state that I need a degree from a relevant discipline. What are anyone elses experiences with this and what would you recommend I look into?

Personally, I'd have a look into the graduate schemes that require any degree and apply to those. A lot of internships tend to be unpaid or low paid - but depending on your circumstances that may not be an issue for you. In the meantime, it might be worth applying to entry level roles in the industry and until you can get a place on a grad scheme work in an entry level role to gain more experience. You might even find that you can work your way up the ladder from the inside and do without the grad schemes - best of luck.
Reply 2
Working your way up can be a very long and cumbersome process. You would definitely need to do a lot of CPD type activity. Speaking of CPD, there's the chartered institute of marketing you can look into for a professional qualification in marketing.

There are a few marketing masters out there that accept graduates from any degree, University of Strathclyde has a very good programme - I went there for the other marketing masters that required relevant experience (international marketing) some of the compulsory were different but we shared all optional modules. I haven't kept in touch very well with most of my fellow students (we were in total 90 over the two programmes) but I've got a fairly good job now.

Your alma mater, i.e. Cardiff University, also offers an MBA that you should be able to get on as it doesn't require relevant previous experience or a specific previous degree. The programme is relatively affordable compared to other MBA programmes and is still quite good. They've got a Postgraduate Open Day coming up at the end of the month. Unfortunately their marketing masters requires you to have studied something relevant before.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending