The Student Room Group

Good Swimmers awful body

Scroll to see replies

Because they eat more calories than they burn, simple as that, you can have good cardio and still be fat, especially in something like swimming where the 'dead weight' impact of adipose tissue is less than with something like running. Also swimming (or any particular exercise) alone has nothing to do with fat loss, fat loss is determined by overall calorie balance of your tdee vs caloric intake. You can run a marathon every day but if you're eating more calories than your body burns you still won't lose weight.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Trapsters
Yeah but I know these "Swimmers" with so called stamina could not run for **** nor get into a boxing ring, it's like fake stamina or something

having stamina at one thing doesn't necessarily translate immediately to another sport (as you've found as you're not immediately good at swimming)... they'd probably learn to cope with those sports easier than a couch potato of a similar size

as I said they will not be putting in massively more effort than you to swim and having a good technique will also reduce their effort level significantly... whereas running or boxing will mean their weight counts against them much more, are generally higher intensity and so on
"Hey guys I just started swimming today, why am I not the best at it? By the way i'm good at punching people."
Original post by scotttb
Haha I love it when all the hench Gym goons come swimming expecting to be epic at it cus they are dench they my 10 stone self is just lapping them every 5 seconds.

??

'fitness' is specific. Just because you have good boxing stamina it doesn't mean it will immediately translate to swimming. The movement is completely different, you're inefficient at it. Do it more and your skill level will increase and you'll utilise your stamina more effectively, perhaps. SPECIFICITY is everything

Scottb conversely you won't be able to show basic strength that those guys can at a different category/exercise. Strength is an element of fitness and you are perhaps disproportionately suited to an endurance (another element of fitness) based activity. Apples and oranges
Reply 24
Original post by Greg Jackson
Because they eat more calories than they burn, simple as that, you can have good cardio and still be fat, especially in something like swimming where the 'dead weight' impact of adipose tissue is less than with something like running. Also swimming (or any particular exercise) alone has nothing to do with fat loss, fat loss is determined by overall calorie balance of your tdee vs caloric intake. You can run a marathon every day but if you're eating more calories than your body burns you still won't lose weight.

Seems a bit pointless to me, exercising then just ruining your body with an over indulgence in food :confused:
Reply 25
Seems a bit pointless to me, exercising then just ruining your body with an over indulgence in food :confused:

It's not ruining your body if they are just a bit fat (not much health risk given they are exercising) and happy looking that way. Not everyone wants to look lean. And some people just enjoy food and want to eat that bits more, I don't encourage fatness or entirely unhealthy diets but there's nothing wrong with enjoying food.

What about swimming just because they enjoy it?
Original post by Kaylaleigh
What about swimming just because they enjoy it?

Maybe, but they seemed like serious swimmers, it's not too enjoyable
Reply 28
I know it will not build much muscle but surely they should be slim, it doesn't add up, take running for example

you can't be fat and run a marathon so why can you be fat and swim loads of lengths

PS: I'm referring to the swimmers at the lane swimming centre

You kinda can.

And the overall answer:
1- you're not as fit as you think. Or indeed, fight specific fitness is different to swimming specific fitness.
2- Swimming is way more technical than you think.

As to why they can be fat and fit. Same as anyone - fit from exercise, fat from more food than calories burnt.

LOL.

Just because their bodies aren't "fit" or "attractive" to you doesn't mean they aren't content with themselves. Also you don't know their goals or intentions with exercising. Maybe they are intentionally at that bodyweight/fat percentage? Maybe they are recovering from illness?
Worry about yourself and let others worry about themselves.

Original post by Mikey464376
Maybe, but they seemed like serious swimmers, it's not too enjoyable

Also people can enjoy something that doesn't look fun to you...I think running is boring, doesn't mean that other people can't find it enjoyable.

Quick Reply

Latest