The Student Room Group

Advice for A-Levels (free periods, etc)?

I've realized that I don't work very well at home because I get distracted way too easily. I live over an hour away from my college so at the end of the school day, I just want to go home. But when I get home (at around 4:15) I just am not motivated to do any work.

I was thinking that maybe I should stay in the library for an hour after school to do work/revision so it's all done when I get home. It would mean I will be coming home quite late though, what do you think?

Also, once a week I only have two lessons in the morning then the rest of the day is all frees (4 frees) but I always go straight home. I end up not doing any work, does that mean I've wasted 4 free periods? I also miss 2 free periods as I can come in late one day (not got a lesson until 3rd period), so that's 6 out of 8 free periods gone?

What do you think I should do???
Reply 1
Original post by fortunesfool
I've realized that I don't work very well at home because I get distracted way too easily. I live over an hour away from my college so at the end of the school day, I just want to go home. But when I get home (at around 4:15) I just am not motivated to do any work.

I was thinking that maybe I should stay in the library for an hour after school to do work/revision so it's all done when I get home. It would mean I will be coming home quite late though, what do you think?

Also, once a week I only have two lessons in the morning then the rest of the day is all frees (4 frees) but I always go straight home. I end up not doing any work, does that mean I've wasted 4 free periods? I also miss 2 free periods as I can come in late one day (not got a lesson until 3rd period), so that's 6 out of 8 free periods gone?

As a student, the job is to learn as much as possible in a short amount of time. You study for probably 15 years, then the rest of your life depends on how well you did in that 15 years. Therefore, it is very important to stay in school and work, school has a very good atmosphere to work especially in a quiet environment, whereas at home, there are computers and games that could easily distract you. My advice is stay in school for as long as you could and revise on your own, sometimes it is advisable to have a rest in free lessons, which gives you enough energy to get your brain working to work in the afternoon. Hope this helps, don't waste your time!

This is a good idea, if you are concerned about getting home late, then you can work at home after having a nap/break. You will feel refreshed (and hopefully more motivated)

I used to do the same thing when i finished early (never wasting 4 frees in a row) but essentially yes, you are wasting frees. I would suggest using 2 of those frees just to study (or maybe 1 study and 1 hanging with friends) then go home. With your 2 morning frees, no, you aren't really wasting them, (extra sleep is good for you :biggrin:)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Try to find some time for revision, it is important after all. For the day you come in late, why not go in early an hour or two, head to the library and try to focus on your revision :smile:
If you get too distracted at home, I`d suggest to avoid those distractions. If its your phone, switch it off for the time you are revising (I found it easier to drain the battery, that way I have no choice but to let it charge lol!)
If you still get distracted at home, if theres a library near you, why not head there and try to revise?

Work after school; my college finishes at 4 every day, and I get home at 4:30. I can stay until 6 and get home at 6:30. That's not all that late at all.

It will help with your work.

Definitely stay in school - set yourself targets, like working solidly until the end of lunch for the day where you finish at period 2.

If you want to succeed in A levels you absolutely need to be working whenever and wherever you can.
do you have study periods? if you don't then you should do your homework/revision in school, and it's pretty much the better place to do it in rather than home, since there will be less distractions in a library. Imo this option is better than staying after school to finish work and then going home in the dark, quite scary lol
I get to school at 8 and study till 9 before registration.
I use all my free periods (I have about 7 a week on average)
I stay after school for 40 minutes to do homework.
Then I do 2 hours after school or however long, don't really count.
Then I do exam papers on weekends.
Original post by xoflower

why can't i be so dedicated as you
Reply 8

Wow, that's incredible dedication!
May I ask how you manage to stay motivated and discipline yourself whenever you're studying?
Original post by rumana101
why can't i be so dedicated as you

Haha thanks :smile:

Its not that difficult. It helps that my friends also study loads. so we all go to the library during study periods together and we don't talk whilst we study.

Also, I know people who have failed and I don't want that to happen.

Motivation is my GCSE's, I got A's and B's majority and I know I could have done better! So now, I'm working sooo hard and I've been gettings A's in school tests.

Tbh, exams aren't far, we have 6 months and mock week is around January. So I suggest revise now like the real exams are in January and you will feel less stress and get good mocks :smile:
Original post by jkready5
Wow, that's incredible dedication!
May I ask how you manage to stay motivated and discipline yourself whenever you're studying?

My studying technique is not just staring at a sheet. I do exam papers, watch youtube videos and make it interesting. It also helps that I actually enjoy my subjects (Chemistry, Biology, History and Sociology).

Also motivation is knowing I could have done better at GCSEs, knowing people who had to retake year 12... and just getting good grades is what I want!

I discipline myself by studying at school whenever possible as nothing can distract me. At home, I take breaks and don't do the same thing for hours.
Haha thanks :smile:

Its not that difficult. It helps that my friends also study loads. so we all go to the library during study periods together and we don't talk whilst we study.

Also, I know people who have failed and I don't want that to happen.

Motivation is my GCSE's, I got A's and B's majority and I know I could have done better! So now, I'm working sooo hard and I've been gettings A's in school tests.

Tbh, exams aren't far, we have 6 months and mock week is around January. So I suggest revise now like the real exams are in January and you will feel less stress and get good mocks :smile:

are you doing gcse's or AS

I'm usually at College till 5:15 doing homework or coursework because I can't do as much at home. I then go to my gym for 5:30 to 7:00 so don't get home till 7:30 most days.

Point is, no it's not too late to work. But if you're staying later to do work, stop working and have a 5 to 10 minute break when you become really unproductive. I usually have a tea or coffee in that break and go back to work a bit more focused.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by rumana101
are you doing gcse's or AS

AS levels.
I typically sort my frees into two categories - "trapped" frees, and frees. The trapped frees are where I can't go home, so I'm essentially stuck in school. I have about eleven of these in a fortnight.

I try to do as much homework as possible in my trapped frees, as I'm super lazy. Typically, this means I'm left with a couple of pieces to do left over, which can be done last-minute on a Sunday.

If you can bear to, stay after school. Not so much the really early finish, because it's nice to have a spare day, but are there any times when you don't have the final lesson of the day? If so, try to stick out the full day. In the day when you come in late, come in a little earlier to do some work. You don't need to utilise all of the non-trapped frees to their full extent, but a little extra time here and there will help you out no end, and you don't need to force yourself to do work when you're just too tired to work.

Quick Reply

Latest