The Student Room Group

Where to study History?

Hi,
I have just started my As courses, however I wanted to study History at Uni ever since I was a little kid. I may want to do a combined course with either Eco,English or Politics. I got average gcse grades with B's in History, English Lang+Lit, I am already predicted A/B's at As Level, should I consider retaking Maths at GCSE to get it past a B, so that I would be able to take As Maths? Also what Unis should I be consider to apply to? Should I take a new AS next year to add diversity?
Reply 1
I would say your AS levels are pretty good choices especially if your going to do joint honours. Your Gcse's are pretty good aswel. If you are going to retake maths to get it up to a C I think you should retake history aswel
to get it up to an A, then you should be in good stead to get into some very good unis.
Reply 2
Xrypto
Hi,
I have just started my As courses, however I wanted to study History at Uni ever since I was a little kid. I may want to do a combined course with either Eco,English or Politics. I got average gcse grades with B's in History, English Lang+Lit, I am already predicted A/B's at As Level, should I consider retaking Maths at GCSE to get it past a B, so that I would be able to take As Maths? Also what Unis should I be consider to apply to? Should I take a new AS next year to add diversity?

Take a look at the entry requirements thread on this forum, jot down a list of ones in your range then take a look at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_Universities

Go from there and draw up a little shortlist of places you are interested, of those take a very thorough look at the specific courses and modes of assesment, get prospectuses, go on open days and keep an open mind. Of course at the stage you are at you have plenty of time to be worrying about this and shouldnt go looking frantically. The most important thing you can do at the moment is concentrate on you A levels and do as well as you can in them. :smile:
Reply 3

I wouldnt say its necessarily worth retaking your gcse history, working hard and getting an A at a level would be a more advantageous use of your time imo, also with regards to maths, most history departments will not be overly bothered about diversity of that nature, unless you are very good at maths and would certainly get an A at A level then I wouldnt say it would be worth it, unless you were applying for an economic history degree in which it may be advantageous

Latest

Trending

Trending