The Student Room Group

How to survive Chemistry AS?

I'm struggling in Chemistry first year. It is really hard, and I'm getting low grades. How can I do better? And yes I know revision but tips?...
As a fellow AS Chemistry student I know your struggle. It would be a good idea to do lots of past paper questions on-line where you can also find the mark schemes. After doing them , mark it and highlight areas that went wrong and annotate the correct answers in. I suppose that has already come to your mind, but it deffo helps me a lot. Also , ask your teacher for help
Also, investing in a good textbook will help
Reply 3
Original post by Phoebe_Squire
As a fellow AS Chemistry student I know your struggle. It would be a good idea to do lots of past paper questions on-line where you can also find the mark schemes. After doing them , mark it and highlight areas that went wrong and annotate the correct answers in. I suppose that has already come to your mind, but it deffo helps me a lot. Also , ask your teacher for help

Cheers!:smile:
Reply 4
Past papers, past papers, past papers. I can't stress this enough... Don't wait until January to begin those Unit 1 papers, start them now once you've covered the unit, which you should by December hols! The main thing is getting to grips with Unit 2, that is where everyone slips due to the long answers towards the end of the test and which is why past paper practice is crucial.
Try videos online; just reading a textbook won't be very useful as you might learn the content but might end up not knowing how to answer the actual exam questions. Do the summary questions at the end of each page in the textbook and practice some past paper questions. Always refer to the mark scheme as they can be quite picky. Also, ask for help or tell your teacher if you feel that you are slipping behind.
Reply 6
Read ahead compared to your class. Things area lot easier understand even if you've just glanced quickly at the topic beforehand.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Chemistry lessons for me were a chemystery
Original post by Aminoor123
I'm struggling in Chemistry first year. It is really hard, and I'm getting low grades. How can I do better? And yes I know revision but tips?...

Depends on which board you have tbh. If you have AQA then their the worst!!!
PM me if you want any revision tipis/advice OP or anyone else. I did AS and A2 chem and got an A in both. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
im currently doing aqa as chemistry
revision tips for unit 1 and 2

tips to get A too please
(edited 9 years ago)
Im in the same condition as well as you.. Most of the students in my class and other groups got a grades of U and E.. No one got higher than that.. So as they said you need to work hard and go through the past papers.. Our first AE1 was about in moles and titration.. I struggled though but as we went through the questions again i suddenly realised how easy the questions were and also knowing that i could of understood the questions easily if i wasnt nervous but hey practise makes perfect mate.. :smile: hard work is the secret to success man without hard work they would have been calling you genuis :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
1) lie down

2) try not to cry

3) cry a lot

nah i'm kidding, it's a bit overwhelming at first but trust my it gets so much easier, i've had a few chemistry lectures in uni lately that were basically as-level and they seem so ridiculously easy now. you just have to keep going over stuff until it sticks. talk to your teachers, read the aqa textbook if you have it, do past papers, revise with your friends, the more the practice then the more familiar with it you'll become and soon enough it'll just be like second nature :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending