The Student Room Group

guys: if a girl texted you a generic message, would you be inclined to reply?

so i have my crush's number (which he gave me before a 'date'). after that day neither of us made any contact and he doesn't have my number.

if i message him something really casual and not aimed at him, i.e. "this is my new number" etc, would that be enough for him to reply and start a condo [if he wanted to]. said message would be backed up by a hot display pic haha. :colondollar:
Original post by Anonymous
so i have my crush's number (which he gave me before a 'date'). after that day neither of us made any contact and he doesn't have my number.

if i message him something really casual and not aimed at him, i.e. "this is my new number" etc, would that be enough for him to reply and start a condo [if he wanted to]. said message would be backed up by a hot display pic haha. :colondollar:

It would be better if it wasn't generic actually I think. So actually act like you want to start a conversation being like hey how are you etc. This is my new number: xyz. And then that way you're actually inviting him to reply if he wants but if he doesn't, then it doesn't matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just keep it simple- say hi, this is my new number and then ask how he is. Simples.
Yes, "you cray cray bitch what are you texting me for"
Reply 4
Can texting really be the key to your romantic future? Can you really find love through the simple method of communication that we have all come to use daily? You might be surprised to learn that a few well placed and well thought out texts can be the key to a bright and beautiful future with somebody. Texting truly can be the key to love in your future, so get on board!

If you want to get more about how to use texting to have a date. Please have private message with me. ntx
Can't definitely talk for all guys, but I might be shy and hesitant about replying due to doubts that you actually want to talk. I agree to some of the posters above; say hi, give him your number, and ask about his day/life. That's pretty casual, too.
I never reply to "This is my new number" texts. There's nothing that really needs to be said in reply to that.
Reply 7
Original post by TroyAndAbed
I never reply to "This is my new number" texts. There's nothing that really needs to be said in reply to that.

Original post by WoanderinCC
Can't definitely talk for all guys, but I might be shy and hesitant about replying due to doubts that you actually want to talk. I agree to some of the posters above; say hi, give him your number, and ask about his day/life. That's pretty casual, too.

Original post by framnz85
Can texting really be the key to your romantic future? Can you really find love through the simple method of communication that we have all come to use daily? You might be surprised to learn that a few well placed and well thought out texts can be the key to a bright and beautiful future with somebody. Texting truly can be the key to love in your future, so get on board!

If you want to get more about how to use texting to have a date. Please have private message with me. ntx

Original post by will2348
It would be better if it wasn't generic actually I think. So actually act like you want to start a conversation being like hey how are you etc. This is my new number: xyz. And then that way you're actually inviting him to reply if he wants but if he doesn't, then it doesn't matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

with that all in mind, is there more chance of a guy replying to lets say, a xmas or new years text?
with that all in mind, is there more chance of a guy replying to lets say, a xmas or new years text?

Not really - there all in the same categories of texts; you have to invite the conversation a bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Any reply would most likely just be reciprocating the "happy new year" or "merry Christmas" as opposed to any sort of conversation.
Original post by TroyAndAbed
Any reply would most likely just be reciprocating the "happy new year" or "merry Christmas" as opposed to any sort of conversation.

Original post by will2348
Not really - there all in the same categories of texts; you have to invite the conversation a bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

how can i make it a lil personal but not full on begging a convo? [although that's what i eventually want lol]

would somethign like "hey! hope youre well, wanted to wish u a merry xmas etc" be ok?
how can i make it a lil personal but not full on begging a convo? [although that's what i eventually want lol]

would somethign like "hey! hope youre well, wanted to wish u a merry xmas etc" be ok?

If it was me I'd go with "Hey [name], I hope you're okay? I just wanted to [wish you Merry Christmas/give you my new number]"

It depends on the guy in all honesty and who it is from - I'd probably reply to the above but I know other guys wouldn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's no harm in trying. If you text him at Christmas and it doesn't work then you can try something more conversational at new year or whatever.
Just do the norm OP, hi and how are you texts. So build on from that. Simple.
Say something intreging... Screw the mundane boring texts...
Say something intreging... Screw the mundane boring texts...

what's intriguing in your view?
Like the other said, you want to make it a lot more personal than a simple "new number" text. Use his name or something so he knows you're talking to him and only him. No one replies to mass texts.

Furthermore you probably want to have a point to the conversation. Otherwise it'll dry up in small talk and one of you'll get bored or run out of topics. While a "how are you" might start a conversation, you need to get off that basic stuff asap.

Hell if you're feeling adventurous try texting to try and meet up or something. Any flirting etc can be built around that too so you'll have some indication of whether he's interested in you as well.

There's something I was recently taught: In early stage relationships you want to text for one of two reasons. Either you want to build rapport with the reciever, or you want to ask them out.

No idea how truthful that is, but it sounds pretty good on paper.
Reply 17
Worth a try. But I would favour a more proactive approach of just asking him out..
what's intriguing in your view?

just think of something it's not hard do you know much about him like? Just invite him for a drink, and do it before the convo gos stale, Yano I would even ring.

Quick Reply

Latest