The Student Room Group

Fine art degree without foundation

Does anyone have any experience of applying successfully or otherwise to fine art degrees without having done a foundation? I've applied to Southampton uni, southampton solent, Brighton and Chichester (and also Southend where I live but that's unquestionably easy to get into). My top two choices will probably be Brighton & Solent. Brighton usually prefer students to do a foundation so i'm wondering what my experiences will be like without having done this, or what chance I even have getting accepted?
Is there a reason you're not doing a foundation year? They provide an extra year of practice and improvement, as well as sometimes introducing you to new methods, materials and ways of practice. There's a reason Brighton prefers students with a foundation year, though I know they aren't essential.
You won't be competing on a level playing field. It's mainly all about the portfolio, and applicants with a foundation course will be a lot more professional. In addition, the course also brings with it a hefty number of Ucas points, so you will be at a disadvantage on that front as well.
Original post by Miarae97
Does anyone have any experience of applying successfully or otherwise to fine art degrees without having done a foundation? I've applied to Southampton uni, southampton solent, Brighton and Chichester (and also Southend where I live but that's unquestionably easy to get into). My top two choices will probably be Brighton & Solent. Brighton usually prefer students to do a foundation so i'm wondering what my experiences will be like without having done this, or what chance I even have getting accepted?

Hi Miarae,

We see applicants come straight from A-Level as well as others from Art Foundation and extended Diploma, and they all perform equally well (which is why they continue with that practice). It's not necessarily a disadvantage to apply straight from A-levels. :-)

We hope that helps

: )

Quick Reply

Latest