The Student Room Group

Integration help

difficult integration.png

I decided to answer the question by using mth moments with m = 3. But I got stuck with the following integral (there is a fraction that exists in the normal distribution but I decided to put it to the left of the integral):

x3exp((x2/2o2))dx \int x^3 exp(-(x^2/2o^2)) dx

I started doing it with integration by parts.

u=x3[br]du=3x2[br]dv=exp((x2/2o2))[br]v=?? u = x^3[br]du = 3x^2[br]dv =exp(-(x^2/2o^2))[br]v = ??

So, not sure how to do the integral of dv. Any help would be appreciated :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by SecretDuck
difficult integration.png

I decided to answer the question by using mth moments with m = 3. But I got stuck with the following integral (there is a fraction that exists in the normal distribution but I decided to put it to the left of the integral):

x3exp((x2/2o2))dx \int x^3 exp(-(x^2/2o^2)) dx

I started doing it with integration by parts.

u=x3[br]du=3x2[br]dv=exp((x2/2o2))[br]v=?? u = x^3[br]du = 3x^2[br]dv =exp(-(x^2/2o^2))[br]v = ??

So, not sure how to do the integral of dv. Any help would be appreciated :smile:

this requires a substitution first (let t be equal to the exponent of the exponential)
followed by integration by parts

It can be done by parts directly but it is a bit harder to do that way
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by TeeEm
this requires a substitution first (let t be equal to the exponent of the exponential)
followed by integration by parts

It can be done by parts directly but it is a bit harder to do that way

OK, I've tried what you said and while I did get closer to showing that E(X^3) = 0, I think I've gone wrong somewhere.

I got this:

I=[2o4(ueu)]I=[2o^4 (u-e^u )]

And evaluating it with both infinities gives me negative infinity.
Reply 3
OK, I've tried what you said and while I did get closer to showing that E(X^3) = 0, I think I've gone wrong somewhere.

I got this:

Assuming o is a constant

you use the substitution t = -x2/(2a2)

Then you get very simple integration by parts (of the form ktet

If your limits are from -inf to +inf, the integral is definitely zero since the integrand is odd
Reply 4
give a minute I will do it.
Reply 5

I got this:

after the first substitution I got

INT(2o4 t et dt)

then parts

2a4 (t-1)et + C

then work back to x
Reply 6
Original post by TeeEm
after the first substitution I got

INT(2o4 t et dt)

then parts

2a4 (t-1)et + C

then work back to x

Thank you - it works :smile:

I managed to get E(X^3) = 0.
Reply 7
Thank you - it works :smile:

I managed to get E(X^3) = 0.

all good

:smile:

Since you're limits are symmetrical about zero and this is an "odd" function, there's no requirement to integrate at all; the integral is zero.

An odd function is one where f(-x) = -f(x)

aaf(x)  dx=0\displaystyle\int_{-a}^{a}f(x) \;dx = 0

Edit: By a similar argument E(X^{2n-1})=0 for all nNn\in\mathbb{N}
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by ghostwalker
Since you're limits are symmetrical about zero and this is an "odd" function, there's no requirement to integrate at all; the integral is zero.

I mentioned this in post 4, but since I have no idea what this statistical integral represented I left it to the poster to continue the way they felt appropriate.:smile:

Edit: By a similar argument E(X^{2n-1})=0 for all nNn\in\mathbb{N}

I do understand that the normal distribution is symmetrical but the lecturer has said that he wants the full integration to be done.
Original post by TeeEm
I mentioned this in post 4, but since I have no idea what this statistical integral represented I left it to the poster to continue the way they felt appropriate.:smile:

Sorry, I missed that.

I do understand that the normal distribution is symmetrical but the lecturer has said that he wants the full integration to be done.

Fair enough.
Reply 12
Sorry, I missed that.

Fair enough.

Not a problem
I was not complaining.

Quick Reply

Latest