The Student Room Group

Maths Question HELP: Sine graph and trig equations

For (a) I translated the graph 30 units to the left
(b) I took 30 away from 0, 180 and 360

(edited 9 years ago)
For (b) sub y=0 to get x coordinate and x=0 to get y coordinate but not sure it will be that easy
Original post by heavyhandscott
For (b) sub y=0 to get x coordinate and x=0 to get y coordinate but not sure it will be that easy

Hm, the answer is supposed to be (0, 0.5) (150, 0) (330, 0) apparently
Original post by creativebuzz

You should know that sin 30 = 0.5
Moving this point 30 left leads to 0,0.5

Alternatively for y=sin(x+30) if x=0 then sin(0+30) = sin(30) = 0.5

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4

The first of those corresponds to the point where x = 0 i.e. the intersection with the y-axis.

The other 2 points are the intersections with the x-axis which you can get using the method you were trying earlier (if you know where y = sin x meets the x axis you can see where the x coordinates come from on the shifted graph).
Original post by davros
The first of those corresponds to the point where x = 0 i.e. the intersection with the y-axis.

The other 2 points are the intersections with the x-axis which you can get using the method you were trying earlier (if you know where y = sin x meets the x axis you can see where the x coordinates come from on the shifted graph).

But I still don't understand what they did to get the answer 0, 0.5! I can do the rest fine
But I still don't understand what they did to get the answer 0, 0.5! I can do the rest fine

But, surely you know that Sin30 = 0.5
Original post by TenOfThem
But, surely you know that Sin30 = 0.5

Yeah I know that but I (I know this sounds weird) get to that answer in terms of working out?
Reply 8
Yeah I know that but I (I know this sounds weird) get to that answer in terms of working out?

When does a graph intersect the y-axis?

did you read post 4 ?
Original post by james22
When does a graph intersect the y-axis?

Ah, yes of course! I understand now, thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest