The Student Room Group

GCSE Maths Question Please Help

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Sam00
Thanks, but I don't think this question requires that as it is only the foundation paper, does anyone else know?

Something that may work for you:

Imagine that the bottom side of the hexagon/square has length 4cm so label this side 4cm. Which other lengths in your diagram are 4cm? Write them all in.

Now look at the triangle. What kind of triangle is it?
Reply 21
Original post by notnek
Something that may work for you:

Imagine that the bottom side of the hexagon/square has length 4cm so label this side 4cm. Which other lengths in your diagram are 4cm? Write them all in.

Now look at the triangle. What kind of triangle is it?

Ok, I've took your advice and worked out that It's an Isosceles triangle, therefore the 2 base angles are equal, but I still can't work it out
Reply 22
Original post by Sam00
Ok, I've took your advice and worked out that It's an Isosceles triangle, therefore the 2 base angles are equal, but I still can't work it out

That's the first step done. To find the non-equal angle in the triangle, first work out the size of one of the angles of the hexagon then subtract that from 90 to find the third angle of the triangle.

Once you've found that angle, subtract it from 180 to find the size of the two equal angles in the triangle. Divide that answer by 2 to find x.

If you're still unsure, please let me know the specific part you don't understand.
Reply 23
Original post by notnek
That's the first step done. To find the non-equal angle in the triangle, first work out the size of one of the angles of the hexagon then subtract that from 90 to find the third angle of the triangle.

Once you've found that angle, subtract it from 180 to find the size of the two equal angles in the triangle. Divide that answer by 2 to find x.

If you're still unsure, please let me know the specific part you don't understand.

I divided 720 by 6 which is 120
I then took away 90 from 120 to get 30
180 - 30 = 150
150 / 2 = 75
x = 75..?

If that's right thanks for your help. I am however panicking as I have realised I don't get maths at all and need to get at least a B. I have until june :s-smilie:
Reply 24
Original post by Sam00
I divided 720 by 6 which is 120
I then took away 90 from 120 to get 30
180 - 30 = 150
150 / 2 = 75
x = 75..?

If that's right thanks for your help. I am however panicking as I have realised I don't get maths at all and need to get at least a B. I have until june :s-smilie:

That's correct and don't worry about this question too much - it's quite tricky and these types of unseen questions don't make up the majority of GCSE papers.

You've got a long time to improve. I'm not sure how you're learning but you should concentrate on all the standard GCSE methods before attempting exam questions. A good textbook will guide you through all these methods and standard types of questions.

This forum will always help you if you're struggling with a question.

Quick Reply

Latest