The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Unless you get a job before the grades come in, which is in November after the dissertation is due in September. Then the marks definitely don't matter.

I already got a job for next year :biggrin:
Reply 21
shady lane
Unless you get a job before the grades come in, which is in November after the dissertation is due in September. Then the marks definitely don't matter.

I already got a job for next year :biggrin:

:eek: Congratulations!!! :biggrin:
Reply 22
SOAS MSc International Politics is as good as any other...
shady lane would you care to reveal where?
Reply 24
Th
I am interested in such a degree myself and am hoping to meet 2 criteria:

1) A campus university is a must. Hate going all over the place for books, then class, then a coffee...

2) Not in London.

Which universities would fit that profile.

Should be a decent university.
bored_stiff

1) A campus university is a must. Hate going all over the place for books, then class, then a coffee...

Get a map. You can certainly live, eat and get books within 5 minutes of the department in Cambridge. I'm sure you can in Oxford as well. Although in both cases you could get a place in a college up to 15 minutes away. Aber is a campus uni with a very strong record for IR and requires about the same mobility as Cam with regard to accommodation, coffee, lectures, except Aber has a large hill included. In short, only looking at campus Uni's is probably a flawed starting point.
Fair enough, but universities with are functionally campus based. I can handle 5 minutes of walking, but no more.

I know of Sussex, Bristol, Warwick...

Any others?
Reply 28
bored_stiff - Nottingham has a gorgeous campus :smile:
No offense, but unless you have a disability, I think choosing a graduate school based on the time it takes to walk to get books and coffee is a very bad idea. You're not an undergrad anymore, the program and academics need to be the first and foremost factors, especially since it's only for one year.
i know what **** criteria your considering for a programme which is also going to cost you **** loads, so you can grab you coffee without working your legs.
Reply 31
On the other hand, no one's suggesting the University of Luton, for instance :wink: They're all good schools, and if having a campus is a requirement for him/her personally, then so be it!

I see where bored_stiff is coming from, actually - a lot of factors go into choosing a graduate school, as you all know, especially if international prestige isn't that big of a deal to the applicant... And precisely because it'll be costing the applicant ****loads, people want their grad school to be perfect for them - some people would die without art galleries in their chosen city of residence, for instance, others would die in London and would rather opt for a quiet little village... Some people look for good gyms, others want a great nightlife scene without the chaos of a huge city, and all of these little points eventually contribute to the final choice. So he wants a campus uni... he still has a lot of great places to choose from :smile:
Great universities in general, but the campus limitation has cut out some of the top places for IR. Which is he more serious about, a decent degree or walking for more than 5 minutes?
Reply 33
threeportdrift
Great universities in general, but the campus limitation has cut out some of the top places for IR. Which is he more serious about, a decent degree or walking for more than 5 minutes?

That's very true, but who said he's shooting for the top places for IR in the first place? To the best of my knowledge, all of those places will provide him with a degree that's more than "decent"... and if walking is an issue, well, he shouldn't be forced to against his will or anything :wink:

I know an obsessive-compulsive girl who chose UMich Ann Arbor over UC Berkeley for political science because the idea of a shared bathroom scared the hell out of her, and Berkeley wasn't able to offer private ensuites at the time for some reason or another... They're both great schools, one slightly more prestigious than the other, but the bathroom issue sealed the deal :P
Was she an undergrad or a grad student? Most grad students live off-campus, you can get your own apartment and have your own bathroom. If you go to Oxford and focus in Latin American IR, you may get placed in St Antony's College, which is a very far walk from the Bodleian Library. Do you not consider Oxford then? Or not consider the college that has your area specialty? It's ridiculous. I'm sorry.

Grad school isn't undergrad, as I've said before. I commute 20 minutes to LSE everyday, which I never would have tolerated in undergrad because I wanted the campus experience. Now I want to study at a top university in my subject, so I deal with the commute.
The central London issue is relatively important. Its far too crowded.

Can you guys add/draw up a list of good campus unis with offer MA IR.

I have:

Leeds
Reading
Sussex
Brunel
Warwick
Sussex is good.
Reply 37
porstmouth best
Pretty Boy Floyd
Sussex is good.

It's a great campus is Sussex. I am shortlisting to Reading, Leeds or Sussex.

Latest

Trending

Trending