The Student Room Group

Really struggling to decide (A-Level/BTEC)

My desire is to get a job within I.T, it's what I've always wanted to do.
Although, I feel that if I go with a BTEC and there's not many jobs in I.T available and I'm stuck trying to find one.
Sometimes, doing a BTEC I feel that I may be held back, Predicted Grades:
Maths: A
English: A/B
Science: A
Geography: A
I.T: A/A*

I was thinking of doing Maths A level along with 2 I.T A levels but really I just want a job within I.T eg Programming.

But doing Maths, some say on average you earn 10% more.

I'm just not sure. :/
Maths is a good combo with ICT....

Hmmm can do 3/4 A-Levels alongside BTEC ICT anywhere? And if you going to do A-Level ICT which one applied or normal? And have you considered computing A-Level/BTEC?

I would take FM,maths,one or two other subjects and BTEC ICT and if you hate BTEC ICT pick up A-Level ICT (either normal or applied) in year 13...
Reply 2
Hiya,
I had the same dilemma but decided to take a BTEC. I believe you could also combine a vocational level 3 in computing (worth three a levels) with a maths a level as well. Hope this helps.
BTEC is also hard. People say that BTEC is easier but you have to be aware that if you don't get you distinctions in BTEC you will not be able to go on to the next year. You have to redo that year. Some colleges are strict when it comes to deadlines so you have to be careful. You can go to university's like Brunel but its hard to get in...

A-levels is hard. You seem to be well in school by looking at your predicted grades. My cousin says that he loves IT A-levels. You can go uni and do IT programming with A-levels. You are more likely to get into the best uni with A-levels because you are more likely to get more UCAS points.
Hope this helped
Good luck with your GCSEs :smile:
Original post by LukeJ9
My desire is to get a job within I.T, it's what I've always wanted to do.
Although, I feel that if I go with a BTEC and there's not many jobs in I.T available and I'm stuck trying to find one.
Sometimes, doing a BTEC I feel that I may be held back, Predicted Grades:
Maths: A
English: A/B
Science: A
Geography: A
I.T: A/A*

I was thinking of doing Maths A level along with 2 I.T A levels but really I just want a job within I.T eg Programming.

But doing Maths, some say on average you earn 10% more.

I'm just not sure. :/

You could also do an apprenticeship?

If I were you, go with A-levels, do a combination of Mathematics, Computing, and whatever else

I'd personally avoid doing ICT at A-level, it isn't particularly difficult, and the majority of getting high grades is predominantly understanding the marking scheme and examiner notes, as opposed to the information itself.

As for a BTEC, I would avoid it unless it includes an apprenticeship..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending