The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Applying for Law as an Access student.

Hi, i'm a student studying an Access to HE Diploma, Education Pathway. The subjects I take are: English Literature, Psychology and Education Studies. I have contacted Newcastle University and they said my subject combination is acceptable to study Law, provided I achieve the right grades (45 Distinction credits).

At the moment I am on track for that.

However, i'm reluctant to send off my UCAS application as I have no work experience related to Law. I don't think I stand a chance? I've emailed and sent letters off to a few local Law firms, but haven't heard anything yet. I don't think I will have time to fit in a work experience placement before the UCAS deadline.

Any suggestions, do I stand a chance or should I apply for another degree?
Hi, definitely dont change your choice of degree if you are certain that you are interested in law, just because of the lack of work experience.

Try walking in to firms and prepare sets of your resume/cv to show your initiative to intern or shadow a lawyer there. It doesn't matter if it is as short as a few days or even a week long, at least you can benefit from getting the exposure of life as a lawyer and you can include it in your ps. A lot of universities will regard it as a plus point.

You can also try to sit in open courts and observe the proceedings

Good luck :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending