The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thebrahmabull
Ok I believe there's a need and demand for a physics a2 thread where everyone can post and discuss their a2 problems and discuss a2 physics. I saw one mega thread for maths opening every year but none for physics. Since there already is a physics as thread out there I decided I would post one just for a2. So everyone start posting :smile:

Which exam board are you doing and what topics you covering at the moment? Currently I'm doing capacitors and circular motion and just finding the circular motion SOOOO hard - how about you?
Original post by mobbsy91
Which exam board are you doing and what topics you covering at the moment? Currently I'm doing capacitors and circular motion and just finding the circular motion SOOOO hard - how about you?

Hey, I'm doing circular motion too! It is so confusing....
Original post by tricky jj
Hey, I'm doing circular motion too! It is so confusing....

Yeh, i know!!! I'm also doing it in mechanics 3 for maths, and it doesnt make it any easier - could be that both my teachers are both ridiculously clever and so over-complicate it...
Original post by thebrahmabull
Ok I believe there's a need and demand for a physics a2 thread where everyone can post and discuss their a2 problems and discuss a2 physics. I saw one mega thread for maths opening every year but none for physics. Since there already is a physics as thread out there I decided I would post one just for a2. So everyone start posting :smile:

So....what do you want to discuss? Which topic are you doing? :smile:
Yeh, i know!!! I'm also doing it in mechanics 3 for maths, and it doesnt make it any easier - could be that both my teachers are both ridiculously clever and so over-complicate it...

Did your teacher discuss about the bucket and water example? Mechanics 3 must be hard, huh? :smile:
Did your teacher discuss about the bucket and water example? Mechanics 3 must be hard, huh? :smile:

Yeh, good old bucket and water... Yep - mechanics 3 is hard - not as hard as m4 or m5 but thank god I'm not doing those...
Yeh, good old bucket and water... Yep - mechanics 3 is hard - not as hard as m4 or m5 but thank god I'm not doing those...

Can you please explain this example to me? What are the forces acting on the water?
(edited 9 years ago)
Can you please explain this example to me? What are the forces acting on the water?

Please don't ask me - all I know is there is a centripetal force which pushes the water outwards (or something like that)

Please don't ask me - all I know is there is a centripetal force which pushes the water outwards (or something like that)

If you have a specific problem related to a theory topic, it's best if you post it as a separate thread in study help. It will get lost here in a long thread. In addition, most of the senior helpers, myself included, will probably not be looking in this thread and so won't see the questions.

In addition, I've made this thread "sticky" so it will now stay at the top of the forum in a different colour and not sink down.
(edited 9 years ago)

Okay. No problem. :smile:
I was just asking randomly. I should probably post this in the study help forum.
Original post by Stonebridge
If you have a specific problem related to a theory topic, it's best if you post it as a separate thread in study help. It will get lost here in a long thread. In addition, most of the senior helpers, myself included, will probably not be looking in this thread and so won't see the questions.

In addition, I've made this thread "sticky" so it will now stay at the top of the forum in a different colour and not sink down.

Fine. :smile:
I'll keep that in mind.
Reply 12

The experiment works due to some very fundamental physics as stated by Newton's laws. If an object is not pushed by anything, it will continue moving at a constant speed and direction. To make it travel in a circle you have to push or pull it towards the centre of the circle.
The natural state for an object is to go in a straight line at a constant speed. To make it go in a circle, you have to pull it towards the centre with a centripetal force. This means that you are pulling the bucket downwards while it is over your head. If it is being pulled down faster than the water is being pulled down by gravity, the water will get behind towards the base of the bucket, staying inside, keeping you nice and dry! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by saad97
The experiment works due to some very fundamental physics as stated by Newton's laws. If an object is not pushed by anything, it will continue moving at a constant speed and direction. To make it travel in a circle you have to push or pull it towards the centre of the circle.
The natural state for an object is to go in a straight line at a constant speed. To make it go in a circle, you have to pull it towards the centre with a centripetal force. This means that you are pulling the bucket downwards while it is over your head. If it is being pulled down faster than the water is being pulled down by gravity, the water will get behind towards the base of the bucket, staying inside, keeping you nice and dry! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for answering. :smile:
So, the normal contact force on the water is providing the centripetal force here??

So....what do you want to discuss? Which topic are you doing? :smile:

Hey guys I am doing physics under edexcel. Although there's a minute chance I might give under cie since I didnot give any units yet. Btw I have covered Up to magnets, and we might finish unit 4 by november :biggrin:
Thank you for answering. :smile:
So, the normal contact force on the water is providing the centripetal force here??

Yep that's right
Original post by langlitz
Yep that's right

Thanks. :smile:
Does anybody by any chance have the OCR A Physics G481: Mechanics paper (or mark scheme) from May 2014? If so, could you please upload it.

Much appreciated.
what topics have you got left to do in unit 4? (AQA)
we've only got simple harmonic motion
Reply 19
Original post by AnneOldman
what topics have you got left to do in unit 4? (AQA)
we've only got simple harmonic motion

Have you done magnetic fields and do you have any decent notes on it? My teacher rushed through it pretty much so I'm all confused about the whole section. -.-
But yeah I think we've finished it all. (AQA as well.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest