The Student Room Group

Scientists who lands spacecraft on comet angers feminists by wearing a shirt

Scroll to see replies

Leave the poor guy alone, that shirt is the closest he's ever gonna get to a naked woman.
Original post by BitWindy
As usual, the Graun has a hack or two spouting the typical BS

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/nov/13/why-women-in-science-are-annoyed-at-rosetta-mission-scientists-clothing

Yes, talking about the shirt a scientist is wearing is part of science.
It has nothing to do with scientific methods, but clearly the Graun's opinions are scientific fact.

That's right up there with the "Thomas the Tank Engine is sexist and racist" article that the Guardian published earlier this year.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that shirt other than it maybe being ugly. Why do extreme feminists always have to make a big deal about nothing in a manner only matched in scale and stupidity by the Daily Mail?
Original post by cole-slaw
Leave the poor guy alone, that shirt is the closest he's ever gonna get to a naked woman.

He has a wife and two kids. Unless he engages in long range copulation, I think he's probably been close to a naked woman.
This is a perfect example of why feminism gets so much hate. Things like this make me want to do things that just piss people like that off further.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by BitWindy
He has a wife and two kids. Unless he engages in long range copulation, I think he's probably been close to a naked woman.

Alright captain literal, way to spoil the joke.
Just so everyone understands.

THIS is why people think feminism is a complete and total joke.

There are women in this world who can not go to school, who can not leave their house, who are forced into marriages, who are treated as second class citizens at every turn, but women in the west only care about women in the west.

Get a grip and fight for women's rights where they need them.
Alright captain literal, way to spoil the joke.

Yeah, it's my fault your joke was rubbish :rolleyes:
Original post by Huskaris
Just so everyone understands.

THIS is why people think feminism is a complete and total joke.

There are women in this world who can not go to school, who can not leave their house, who are forced into marriages, who are treated as second class citizens at every turn, but women in the west only care about women in the west.

Get a grip and fight for women's rights where they need them.

Guy appears on tv wearing a horrible shirt, gets criticised for wearing horrible shirt.

and why not? Because he did something useful and vaguely impressive means his dress sense is now beyond reproach?

I'm sure complaining about this dork's crappy shirt and raising awareness over forced marriages are not mutually exclusive.
I can understand some sensitivity over the image of women among the scientific community.

To be honest, why a guy with two daughters would choose to wear a shirt like that anyway is beyond me.

At the same time, though, he has just completed a literally astronomical feat. I don't know what these articles achieve other than making feminist authors look a little petty.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by EllieC130
OH FOR **** SAKE; I am so sick of this ****. Seriously, I just want to call myself a feminist and have that mean I want equality which, for the most part, it does. Yet morons like this constantly undermine what the rest of us want.

Get out of the tribe. You, me and all other reasonable people can see the lunatics have taken over the asylum with feminism.

Relevant:
http://owningyour****.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/no-seriously-what-about-teh-man-hatrz.html?m=1

(Bad word in URL starred out - replace it with "s--t")
Reply 30
This is why I cant hate on gays to much. Women are annoying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Funnily enough it's always feminists ranting on about men supposedly "policing" what they wear.

The feminist position here is that even when engaged in unparallelled endeavour, at the coalface with your hands on the controls of a machine millions of miles away, people should be thinking foremost about the clothes they're wearing and whether they're to be deemed acceptable by a constellation of special interest groups and social justice warriors (compare the role of the religious police in a theocracy).

It's utterly preposterous and, speaking with my tongue mostly (but not entirely) in my cheek, exactly the sort of clothes-based flashpoint you'd expect when dealing with a movement full of women.
I knew it was only a matter of time until feminists jumped on something to get angry about regarding the comet landing. It's becoming like Godwin's Law :laugh:
Guy appears on tv wearing a horrible shirt, gets criticised for wearing horrible shirt.

and why not? Because he did something useful and vaguely impressive means his dress sense is now beyond reproach?

I'm sure complaining about this dork's crappy shirt and raising awareness over forced marriages are not mutually exclusive.

I guess you agree when the Daily Mail writes an article about Theresa May's latest choice of heels when making a big speech?

(I mean of course she's not doing anything actually useful or impressive, just stuff that pretends to be, but you see what I mean for the sake of argument.)

We can criticise his fashion taste, but the man is not sexist.
If a woman was wearing a shirt with scantily clad women on it would it be equally as sexist ? No
I don't know who this woman is but I do not like the idea that speaking about feminism gives someone the right to assume a position of great import.

I'm quite confident that the human race will benefit from Matt Taylor getting on with his job much more than it will from his apology to a couple of overly sensitive women.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by Motorbiker
Tbh it's a stupid shirt and not appropriate for a work environment.

If i wrote that to work on casual Friday I'd be sent home. Fact.

Diplomatic scientific institutions tend to be very relaxed places when it comes to these things. While I worked at CERN my supervisor had previously worked at the ESA. Dress code, which hours you work, etc., are very liberal in places like that. It's just part of the culture.
Original post by scrotgrot
I guess you agree when the Daily Mail writes an article about Theresa May's latest choice of heels when making a big speech?

(I mean of course she's not doing anything actually useful or impressive, just stuff that pretends to be, but you see what I mean for the sake of argument.)

If that's what they think their readers want to read, then where's the problem.

Just tells you all you need to know about the intellectual capacity of readers of the Daily Mail.
Original post by scrotgrot

Not really comparable unless Theresa opts for Louboutins with images of men's abs all over them.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending