The Student Room Group

Why is The Guardian such a ****ty newspaper?

Humanity lands on a comet for the first time, The Guardian complains about the mission manager's shirt.
http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/nov/13/why-women-in-science-are-annoyed-at-rosetta-mission-scientists-clothing

Is anyone really surprised when people express dislike for feminism? It's hard not to when The Guardian is one of the most popular papers.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CJKay
Humanity lands on a comet for the first time, The Guardian complains about the mission manager's shirt.
http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/nov/13/why-women-in-science-are-annoyed-at-rosetta-mission-scientists-clothing

Well, they have to cover social concerns as well as scientific. From what I've seen the shirt thing is being covered on a lot of news sites.
Original post by mscaffrey
Well, they have to cover social concerns as well as scientific. From what I've seen the shirt thing is being covered on a lot of news sites.

The Guardian is always quick to criticise the Daily Mail (and others) for concentrating on female politicians' clothes rather than policies though...
Original post by Chief Wiggum
The Guardian is always quick to criticise the Daily Mail (and others) for concentrating on female politicians' clothes rather than policies though...

Yes, but that's because they're focussing on the appearance of women over their achievements which is something that happens in society anyway. The Guardian are looking critically at why it's okay for a man to wear a shirt that objectifies women on it.
Original post by CJKay

Is anyone really surprised when people express dislike for feminism? It's hard not to when The Guardian is one of the most popular papers.

That shirt thing was covered by different publications, so it isn't just the Guardian kicking up a fuss about it. Though I do admit that they publish some silly stuff. I remember an article about Thomas the Tank Engine being sexist or racist or something.

The thing about feminism in the media is that the media (not just the Guardian) tend to only provide a platform for controversial feminists. Feminists who genuinely just want equality between men and women, and who want to write about issues affecting men (such as domestic violence, male suicide rates etc) will find their article pitches rejected. Why? Controversy leads to clicks, which leads to money. That's what it's come to, sadly.
Reply 6
Original post by Kittiara
That shirt thing was covered by different publications, so it isn't just the Guardian kicking up a fuss about it. Though I do admit that they publish some silly stuff. I remember an article about Thomas the Tank Engine being sexist or racist or something.

The thing about feminism in the media is that the media (not just the Guardian) tend to only provide a platform for controversial feminists. Feminists who genuinely just want equality between men and women, and who want to write about issues affecting men (such as domestic violence, male suicide rates etc) will find their article pitches rejected. Why? Controversy leads to clicks, which leads to money. That's what it's come to, sadly.

I can't find any other paper putting down his achievements. His tattoos have been mentioned by a couple, but usually focusing on his dedication to the mission because of the Rosetta tattoo he had done on his leg.

The Guardian is literally the Sun of the left wing in all but name. Here we have one of the greatest achievements of mankind, and his shirt makes the news?

Yes, but that's because they're focussing on the appearance of women over their achievements which is something that happens in society anyway. The Guardian are looking critically at why it's okay for a man to wear a shirt that objectifies women on it.

Please tell me, how is his shirt "objectifying women"? The poor guy just had to give a teary-eyed apology live on an international interview with the Rosetta team for "causing offence", and you want to tell me this guy deserves to be publicly ridiculed for his shirt!? You know what I find offensive? You taking offense. Now it's your turn to make a ****ing apology live to the world.

He was just interviewed by a woman both on the landing livestream and the team interview, half the team interview was answered by a woman, one of the four people in the team on the landing live stream was a woman (though I'm not sure why she wasn't part of the interview) - please tell me how you could possibly derive that this guy is misogynist because of his shirt? Are you intentionally looking for things to accuse him of? That is a disgusting excuse to undermine one humanity's greatest achievements.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
i'd rather the guardian to the daily fail tbf
and which newspaper is not ****ty?
I've just done a whole 3,000 word assignment for Uni about The Guardian's portrayal of the Oscar Pistorious case, I'll be happy to never see another news article from them ever again!
The Guardian is the Daily Mail for left-wing people.

Apparently it bleeds money and could cease circulation in the near future, so there is hope.
Original post by CJKay
I can't find any other paper putting down his achievements. His tattoos have been mentioned by a couple, but usually focusing on his dedication to the mission because of the Rosetta tattoo he had done on his leg.

The Guardian is literally the Sun of the left wing in all but name. Here we have one of the greatest achievements of mankind, and his shirt makes the news?

Please tell me, how is his shirt "objectifying women"? The poor guy just had to give a teary-eyed apology live on an international interview with the Rosetta team for "causing offence", and you want to tell me this guy deserves to be publicly ridiculed for his shirt!? You know what I find offensive? You taking offense. Now it's your turn to make a ****ing apology live to the world.

He was just interviewed by a woman both on the landing livestream and the team interview, half the team interview was answered by a woman, one of the four people in the team on the landing live stream was a woman (though I'm not sure why she wasn't part of the interview) - please tell me how you could possibly derive that this guy is misogynist because of his shirt? Are you intentionally looking for things to accuse him of? That is a disgusting excuse to undermine one humanity's greatest achievements.

I'm not sure why you appear to be taking such offence at what I said-your reply seems to be referencing what was in the article rather than what was in my reply. The quote you're replying to was just me replying to someone who mentioned that The Guardian criticises The Daily Mail when they focus on what women are wearing-I was explaining the difference between what both newspapers are doing without even mentioning whether I agree with either one of them. I didn't say anything about the guy being misogynistic, just repeating what's been said in the articles I've seen about the shirt objectifying women. I'm sorry you feel so strongly about this.

ETA: I also didn't say I had taken offence, nor did I say he deserves to be publicly ridiculed. I remain baffled by your angry response to me.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
on the real though they're all ****

journalist ethics have been at an all-time low for years
none-stories out the wazoo
I have seen some of the nonsense on the Guardian recently and they have really been taken over by feminists. Articles such as "How to solve the gender pay gap: pay women more and men less" are an almost daily occurrence, and so it is no surprise that, upon completing one of the largest steps forward in astronomical science in recent memory, the Guardian (as well as other pathetic excuses for 'news') choose to bitch about a piece of clothing. What is even funnier is the fascistic tendencies seen in the comments, such as: "If you don't see this as a problem, you are part of the problem."
Original post by Arkasia
I have seen some of the nonsense on the Guardian recently and they have really been taken over by feminists. Articles such as "How to solve the gender pay gap: pay women more and men less" are an almost daily occurrence, and so it is no surprise that, upon completing one of the largest steps forward in astronomical science in recent memory, the Guardian (as well as other pathetic excuses for 'news') choose to bitch about a piece of clothing. What is even funnier is the fascistic tendencies seen in the comments, such as: "If you don't see this as a problem, you are part of the problem."

Tbh I think it's just doing controversial articles to drive up page views. I guess it works, since I clicked on the article you are referring to... It will also encourage lots of people to leave comments disagreeing. Again, this gives them the page views that will presumably appeal to advertisers.
Original post by CJKay

The real question is; which newspaper isn't terrible?
Reply 16
Original post by Kaiju
on the real though they're all ****

journalist ethics have been at an all-time low for years
none-stories out the wazoo

I still find BBC and Sky (to a slightly lesser extent) News to be fairly balanced, but the tabloids are ****ing disgusting.

I'm not sure why you appear to be taking such offence at what I said-your reply seems to be referencing what was in the article rather than what was in my reply. The quote you're replying to was just me replying to someone who mentioned that The Guardian criticises The Daily Mail when they focus on what women are wearing-I was explaining the difference between what both newspapers are doing without even mentioning whether I agree with either one of them. I didn't say anything about the guy being misogynistic, just repeating what's been said in the articles I've seen about the shirt objectifying women. I'm sorry you feel so strongly about this.

ETA: I also didn't say I had taken offence, nor did I say he deserves to be publicly ridiculed. I remain baffled by your angry response to me.

Because I am disturbed by your seeming support for the article. I completely fail to see how a shirt could even be objectifying. While we are trying to reduce the frequency with which we objectify women by what they wear, why is the Guardian trying to do the polar opposite for men? It is an article that shouldn't even exist.

Original post by Balloon Baboon
The real question is; which newspaper isn't terrible?

There isn't one. Why people still read them when they can just get them from the internet I'll never know.
(edited 9 years ago)
The
Original post by yo radical one

Apparently it bleeds money and could cease circulation in the near future, so there is hope.

Original post by yo radical one

Except whether or not you agree with it's editorial or the extreme end of its feminist contributions on CIF, it doesn't promote hatred of anything in the way The Daily Mail Kampf of anything that isn't at least upper middle class, straight and white. The only good thing about the DM, is most of its readership are too thick to realise they too are hated by those who write the paper.
Original post by CJKay

Because I am disturbed by your seeming support for the article. I completely fail to see how a shirt could even be objectifying. While we are trying to reduce the frequency with which we objectify women by what they wear, why is the Guardian trying to do the polar opposite for men? It is an article that shouldn't even exist.

I'm neutral on the article, but I do understand why it was written/the point that's being made. And no one's objectifying the man because of what he's wearing, they're questioning the message that such a shirt conveys to those watching. Science is notoriously a man's field, and lots of people are trying to change that. They probably think that a shirt with half naked women on doesn't do much for the image of science as one where women are welcome as equals and not as people to be objectified.
The guardian's actual journalism is very good. But their comment is free section has a lot of clickbait. Pretty sure that the stupid stuff they publish is usually in comment is free.

Quick Reply

Latest