The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Renal
You think I'm joking on the affirmative action? :rolleyes:

Hey i got my place on the basis on the basis of affirmative action i may well be one of those spackers :p:
Reply 21
So you're Asian and from East London applying to BL?
Reply 22
Renal
So you're Asian and from East London applying to BL?

I meant that i got my place in a scheme that could be argued to be positive discrimination.

I did get an offer at Kings for their access course for which you had to live in a certain borough, be preferably from certain ethnic groups and other such criteria so its not that different.

Thats by the by now anyway. I had to be interview for both courses and the lies worked because they gave me an offer two years running :p:

i would never lie in an interview
Reply 23
w00 to you.
Reply 24
Renal
w00 to you.

Yep, w00 to me indeed :rolleyes:

Getting the thread back on topic, Southampton do interview in some cases such as

1. Applying for the 6yr course
2. A mature non grad
3. International students
4. Borderline students

Do interviews really stop socially inept people from getting through? On my course there were at least 3 people (in a group of about 27) who had trouble communicating with patients and we were all interviewed.
I think it's unfair to say that people at edinburgh don't necessarily have the communication skills. Because they look so closely at your ps they know that if you were able to stick at being a volunteer for 18 months or were on debating teams, or any one of a hundred million things then you must have some skills. Also, I have yet to meet a single person who didn't get another offer after interview from somewhere else, so there's obviously something there. The basic reason edinburgh don't interview is because it's expensive, and they'd rather use the money to spend more time looking at ps's and references. Also, leaving some money for people when the actually get here!!

They do interview people for the 6 year (i think) and definitely matures, regardless of whether or not you have a degree.
queens university belfast don't interview much
lil_groovy_dude
Southampton and Edinburgh are the only ones :smile:

Queens, Belfast doesn't either.

Though QUB has its reasons....because of the "political situation" here it isn't deemed suitable that interviews take place. There's a whole spiel about this on their little UCAS page. In somewhere like NI, any process that involves selecting people for jobs/degrees etc. has to be transparent and as objective as possible. Interviews are more subjective than a quick glance down a PS and that's really the basis of the selection procedure.
Renal
So why are there so many spackers getting into medical school?

It's not the affermative action is it?
There are ******* at unis without any sort of AA.

"What's mitosis?"

"you passed biology?"

Latest

Trending

Trending