The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Whitworth Park! It's cheap and on the south campus, easy access to both the city centre and Fallowfield by bus.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Even if all your classes aren't in Lime Grove, they're all going to be on that campus so don't worry. Probably five minutes away at most. The closest halls I would say are Whitworth Park, however I'm fairly certain that they're not en suite. My classes are in Lime Grove and I live in Grosvenor Place, about a five minute walk away. It's not en suite accomodation, but the room sizes are very good and the halls have lots of international students.
tRG
Few questions:-

1-Can you tell me about Burkhardt House, Pankhurst Court and Weston Hall?

2-What does: 'en suite accommodation arranged in flats of 8 or 10 people' mean? Is it different from 'ensuite facilites in all rooms'? I'm a bit confused with that.

3-How can I find out the distance between accommodation and Lime Grove? I have the maps, I just can't seem to read them well!

Don't know where Burkhardt is, but Pankhurst and Weston is far from Lime Grove.

Ensuite in individual rooms, flat is shared with 8/10 others.

If you're based at Lime Grove then my choice would be Whitworth. It doesn't have ensuite, but it's nice, as long as you're not at the Triangles.
Reply 83
so, here are my definite choices:
1. Whitworth
2. Grosvenor

I was going to put either Chandos/Wright Robinson as my third choice, but if i get a £86 room, i really wont be able to afford it at all, so i was looking through the brochure again and stumbled upon Moberly Hall...

Moberly Hall - yay or nay?

I like how cheap it is, but what's it really like?
tRG
Few questions:-

1-Can you tell me about Burkhardt House, Pankhurst Court and Weston Hall?

2-What does: 'en suite accommodation arranged in flats of 8 or 10 people' mean? Is it different from 'ensuite facilites in all rooms'? I'm a bit confused with that.

3-How can I find out the distance between accommodation and Lime Grove? I have the maps, I just can't seem to read them well!

Burkhardt information: 0.5 miles from campus (which is the same distance as where I live and it takes me 15 minutes to get to Lime Grove at the very most)

Facilities
No smoking areas
Computer cluster available in the residence
Single-sex areas
En-suite facilities available
Rooms which have been adapted for those with a disability
Bar in residence
Sporting facilities
Cycle shed available
Communal areas cleaned
Rooms cleaned
Telephone link in each room
Ethernet link in each room for access to intranet/internet
Music room

Costs
Single room en-suite (price is for self-catering but meals package available) (for 37 weeks): £87
Saaa
so, here are my definite choices:
1. Whitworth
2. Grosvenor

I was going to put either Chandos/Wright Robinson as my third choice, but if i get a £86 room, i really wont be able to afford it at all, so i was looking through the brochure again and stumbled upon Moberly Hall...

Moberly Hall - yay or nay?

I like how cheap it is, but what's it really like?

Well according to http://www.accommodation.manchester.ac.uk/universityresidences/citycampus/moberlyhall/

- It will not be available from 2007
- You have to be over 21 to stay there
Reply 86
so say hypothetically, if i chose it as my firm, i put in an accomodation application tomorrow - how long will it take for them to tell me where i've been placed?
Reply 87
x_muso_x
so say hypothetically, if i chose it as my firm, i put in an accomodation application tomorrow - how long will it take for them to tell me where i've been placed?

Not until after the A-level results.
What's the likelihood of getting your first choice, even if it is high demand? Theres plenty people I've known get their first choice which was high demand, but knowing my luck, I won't get it!
Reply 89
Best halls by far is Richmond Park! You will be envyed by EVERYONE! Used to be the olympic village for the commonwealth games 2002!
Reply 90
discombobulation
Burkhardt information: 0.5 miles from campus (which is the same distance as where I live and it takes me 15 minutes to get to Lime Grove at the very most)

Facilities
No smoking areas
Computer cluster available in the residence
Single-sex areas
En-suite facilities available
Rooms which have been adapted for those with a disability
Bar in residence
Sporting facilities
Cycle shed available
Communal areas cleaned
Rooms cleaned
Telephone link in each room
Ethernet link in each room for access to intranet/internet
Music room

Costs
Single room en-suite (price is for self-catering but meals package available) (for 37 weeks): £87

How is it like walking to class in the cold? I live in a country with a very warm climate and walking in the heat can be a pain but I'm trying to imagine walking for a morning class in the cold..
How frequent are the busses and is there a bus direct from Burkhardt to Lime Grove?

Few more Qs..: who mantains the showers/toilets when they're not en-suite? And... what are they like when not en-suite? I have this fear of public toilets.
Last but not least (for now), when they say M/F - is it just M and just F in each flat or each flat could contain occupants of both genders?
tRG
How is it like walking to class in the cold? I live in a country with a very warm climate and walking in the heat can be a pain but I'm trying to imagine walking for a morning class in the cold..
How frequent are the busses and is there a bus direct from Burkhardt to Lime Grove?

Few more Qs..: who mantains the showers/toilets when they're not en-suite? And... what are they like when not en-suite? I have this fear of public toilets.
Last but not least (for now), when they say M/F - is it just M and just F in each flat or each flat could contain occupants of both genders?

I can't say, I'm used to the cold and it would be possible to get a bus but it would be paying for like 2 bus stops.
Buses are every 30 seconds apparently.

The same cleaners who clean private bathrooms clean the public ones, they all seem relatively clean to me but I haven't really looked as I am en-suite.

I think mixed gender could mean mixed gender flats and if that's a problem for you, you should find somewhere all girls, like where I live!
Reply 92
Hello.I applied for accomodation 2 weeks ago.I received an e-mail from the univrsity of Manchester which confirmed my application.It says that if I want I can alter my choices.Can this really happen?Here are my choices.1)Oak House,2)Witworth Park,3)Grosvenor Place.I think to put as my first choice Grosvenor Place.What do you think?
Rivaldo_23
Hello.I applied for accomodation 2 weeks ago.I received an e-mail from the univrsity of Manchester which confirmed my application.It says that if I want I can alter my choices.Can this really happen?Here are my choices.1)Oak House,2)Witworth Park,3)Grosvenor Place.I think to put as my first choice Grosvenor Place.What do you think?

How long does it take for them to confirm that they've received your application?
Reply 94
I don't know.But if I can remember right,I applied 15-20 days ago.Did you apply too BeeKnees?Which choices?
Reply 95
There are cleaners for the en-suite ones? hmm

May I know where is it that you live? Maybe I'll have to start PMing you with questions on female only halls!

I've got till August to make my decision, right? Going to talk to some professors who will be here this weekend for some education UK expo.
Reply 96
You can specify male only, female only or mixed sex on the accomodation form - they usually have flats of all three types (and ground-floor flats are usually boys only, if they're freshers).

The same goes for corridors in catered, I believe, though I'm in a girls-only hall, so no experience there.

Edit: If you have any particular question about girls-only halls, I'm in Ashburne, and I think discombobulation is in St Gabriel's, but not sure?
BeesKnees
How long does it take for them to confirm that they've received your application?

i applied at the beginning of january and got an email in the middle of february to say that they had received it. i did it online. i don't get how it took so long for them to acknowledge it. oh well
She does, Ana, and in a halls without ensuite, the loos and showers are cleaned daily and well. I share a toilet technically with 10 others, but in reality only about three because there are three toliets on the floor. I've never had to complain about how clean they are.

And in Chandos *plugs own halls* each floor is single sex, which means you can see the boys if you want, but you don't have to. On our floor at least you only mix with them if you want to, so you have more options than just single sex halls.
Reply 99
Any accomodation close to the Chemistry depts.?

Latest

Trending

Trending