The Student Room Group

Is Hills Road Sixth Form College the best state school/college in the UK?

We are based in Cambridge.

We are one of the highest yielding state colleges in the UK in terms of results.

We have very good teachers.

Most of the students here are international.

Most of us including myself studied iGCSE's and did very well meaning that we had a better education before hand.

Last year my college sent 14 kids to Oxbridge, in comparison to my friend's college who sent 1.

We are a US testing centre too.

I partake in rowing, rugby and squash as sports there.

Pink Floyd, Kartik Vira and yours truly have/are attending here.

Discuss.
Ladies and Gentleman, Please stand up as a we announce the award for the Most Vain Person on the internet. I know this is a tough contest but the Winner is...

THIS GUY!

Well done man, I know it was a hard fought campaign but you did it with this post.

P.S 14 Kids to oxbridge isn't that many compared to some schools, and without a doubt the best College is Cardiff Sixth form.

P.P.S This is why people resent posh people
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
What exactly is the point of the thread? You want people to praise you for your choice of Sixth Form College?
Original post by LordPhylogeny
Ladies and Gentleman, Please stand up as a we announce the award for the Most Vain Person on the internet. I know this is a tough contest but the Winner is...

THIS GUY!

Well done man, I know it was a hard fought campaign but you did it with this post.

P.S 14 Kids to oxbridge isn't that many compared to some schools, and without a doubt the best College is Cardiff Sixth form.

P.P.S This is why people resent posh people

Cardiff SF is an independent school you plank :facepalm2:
Somebody going to the best 6th form college in the country would no doubt be perceptive enough to recognise that such a title is 100% subjective. Make of that what you will.

PS, 14 kids to Oxbridge isn't particularly impressive.
Reply 5
I was a long road guy so RIVALRY! Haha for a state school I'd honestly have to say Long Road and Hills road are the best in the country they truly push their students have constant access to help all sorts it's understandable why Hills got 14 and Long had 8
Original post by fnatic NateDestiel

Most of us including myself studied iGCSE's and did very well meaning that we had a better education before hand.

Last year my college sent 14 kids to Oxbridge, in comparison to my friend's college who sent 1.

There were 62 Oxbridge offers last year.
The majority of people did not do iGCSEs.
The majority of students are not international.

Check your facts...
Reply 7
Original post by InvertedBowl

Check your facts...

Just because you do iGCSE doesn't mean you have to be an international student a lot of schools and colleges have scraped English GCSE altogether for iGCSE
We are based in Cambridge.

We are one of the highest yielding state colleges in the UK in terms of results.

We have very good teachers.

We are a US testing centre too.

I partake in rowing, rugby and squash as sports there.

Discuss.

Even if it is the best sixth form, that doesn't make you any better, it just means you have had the luck to access better education than most people! Some people only have limited choice in where they go to sixth form, and at the end of the day whether you have had to make opportunities for yourself or have had them provided through school shouldn't make a difference!!!
Using how many went to Oxbridge as a unit of measure is a bit stupid. Have you considered that there are people who could have quite possibly gotten offers there but didn't want to go, so didn't apply? From the sounds of it, you went to the type of place that will shove Oxbridge down your throat if they think you're capable. I went to a similar type of place. That doesn't mean that literally every single person who could have got the grades to go, actually applied there. Believe it or not, just because you may get the grades to go to Oxbridge doesn't mean you want to go there.

Discuss.

Most of the students there ARE NOT international. Where on Earth did you get that perception. Even if they were, it would't be a better place to study.

So what, some celebs went there. I happened to know that the Pink Floyd members were really bad at school. Absolutely meaningless argument. What are you thinking!

You do sound like a pretty self centred boastful sort of person.
Original post by Tylerd94
Just because you do iGCSE doesn't mean you have to be an international student a lot of schools and colleges have scraped English GCSE altogether for iGCSE

Er yes, obviously. I know that, it wasn't what I was saying.
Not sure if this guy is trolling cause I can't believe someone like this even exists...
Original post by octopauly
Somebody going to the best 6th form college in the country would no doubt be perceptive enough to recognise that such a title is 100% subjective. Make of that what you will.

PS, 14 kids to Oxbridge isn't particularly impressive.

Whilst I concur subjectivity seems reductive since I am right :biggrin:
I was a long road guy so RIVALRY! Haha for a state school I'd honestly have to say Long Road and Hills road are the best in the country they truly push their students have constant access to help all sorts it's understandable why Hills got 14 and Long had 8

omfg no way! Long Road is a contender too tbh, they're like the few SF's in the country where it would be a shame to leave.

Yes of course, the rigourous education helps us prepare better for uni, also having the best teachers also helps and great facilities too :smile:

Check your facts...

Offers - not actual entrants, however must check facts cc will ask on Monday how many matriculated.
I did them and did very well, so did many others in my class.
Subjective, when I did the SAT 2 there were a fair few internationals.

Yes I know...

I am domestic yet I did iGCSE's therefore received a better and more challenging education and thrived upon it in contrast with those that did regular GCSE's kek.
Original post by Ginger_Gymnast92
Even if it is the best sixth form, that doesn't make you any better, it just means you have had the luck to access better education than most people! Some people only have limited choice in where they go to sixth form, and at the end of the day whether you have had to make opportunities for yourself or have had them provided through school shouldn't make a difference!!!

Yes it does. You make your own opportunities, still I have thrived and will continue to do so.
A mutual benefit you could say.
Original post by Airfairy
Using how many went to Oxbridge as a unit of measure is a bit stupid. Have you considered that there are people who could have quite possibly gotten offers there but didn't want to go, so didn't apply? From the sounds of it, you went to the type of place that will shove Oxbridge down your throat if they think you're capable. I went to a similar type of place. That doesn't mean that literally every single person who could have got the grades to go, actually applied there. Believe it or not, just because you may get the grades to go to Oxbridge doesn't mean you want to go there.

Some got into Yale and MIT too..
No-one who gets an offer or is capable of getting in doesn't apply, they just bottled it or knew they wouldn't have a good chance :yep:

Original post by SmallDuck
Most of the students there ARE NOT international. Where on Earth did you get that perception. Even if they were, it would't be a better place to study.

So what, some celebs went there. I happened to know that the Pink Floyd members were really bad at school. Absolutely meaningless argument. What are you thinking!

You do sound like a pretty self centred boastful sort of person.

See above.

It's a gift.

Er yes, obviously. I know that, it wasn't what I was saying.

k?
Original post by LordPhylogeny
Not sure if this guy is trolling cause I can't believe someone like this even exists...

+6 rep, + go to the best SF in the country
#kthnxbye

Quick Reply

Latest