The Student Room Group

pgce, pcet, schools direct, SKE; which path with my degree and A-levels?

Hi help please!

Graduated back in 1998, (that can't be right!), with a 2:1 Sports Science degree from the University of Birmingham. I have A-levels in geology, geography, physics and maths.

If I attend a SKE to boost my knowledge could I teach Maths or Physics at secondary level? Or is my degree, despite being science based, to far away from the subject knowledge?

Could I attend a SKE and then go on to schools direct or are you meant to follow on to a PGCE after?

Advice, suggestions or just general abuse all welcome.

Cheers

Jonnie
You would probably get a better reply if you posted this question in the Education and Teaching forum. I don't know if they'd let you teach maths/physics. I think it unlikely you'd be able to do a maths/physics PGCE unless half of your degree modules were related to those subjects. As far as I know, once you actually have a PGCE you can pretty much teach any subject if the school agrees.
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
You would probably get a better reply if you posted this question in the Education and Teaching forum. I don't know if they'd let you teach maths/physics. I think it unlikely you'd be able to do a maths/physics PGCE unless half of your degree modules were related to those subjects. As far as I know, once you actually have a PGCE you can pretty much teach any subject if the school agrees.

Thanks for your advice, I will repost as suggested. I didn't realise that the teaching subject is flexible after the PGCE.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending