The Student Room Group

NHS Graduate Management Training Scheme 2015

Hello all,

I'm hoping to make this the official thread for the 2015 cohort of the NHS Graduate Management Training Scheme (GMTS). I'm a current trainee and will try and offer guidance and advice in a completely unofficial capacity.

Here's a link to last years thread. Please point me in the right direction if there is already a 2015 thread.

Here's a link to the GMTS website.

Good luck!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello,

Thanks for starting this. I have just completed the online tests, and would be interested to know when I might hear if I was successful. Did you have to wait until the closing date in January to hear?

Thanks!
Reply 2
Hi there,

I'm going to submit my application in the next week or so and have a couple of questions.

Do you have to do the online tests at the same time as the application, or can I log back in at a later date and do them on separate dates (ie, one test on one day, the next test a few days later?)

How many questions and how long are the tests?

Many thanks!!
Reply 3
Hi there,

I'm looking to apply this year and have a few questions.

How many questions and how long are the numeracy and verbal reasoning tests?

Can I log in, do my application, then long in at later dates to do the tests, or do they have to be done at the same time?

Many thanks!!
Hey!

So I have just applied for this and done all my tests!

EEEEKK

Hope I did OK, but have a feeling I may have messed up the numerical reasoning :-/

Good luck everyone!
Reply 5
Hello! Good to see a thread for this! I have just finished completing my tests and boy was I shocked at how hard I found the numerical reasoning. I do have a weakness when it comes to Maths and I couldn't answer a lot of the questions. I am hoping that I did enough with the other tests for it to even out! Did anyone else find it hard? I'm not hugely optimistic, I read they take the top 1000, but last year they had over 14000 apply! Oh well, let's wait and see, good luck to everyone who applied! :smile:
Hi all!

Thought I'd revive this thread. Sounds like we are going to hear something soon. Hoping it goes well for everyone.
Good luck everyone! I'm hoping for 3rd time lucky...got to interview 2 years ago (which went horribly) then didn't get past the tests last year!
Reply 8
Forgot I applied to this and got an email inviting me to interview today, seriously thought I failed all the tests.
Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone knew the starting date for the scheme, which I'm presuming is some point in September? I can't find it on the website.
Thanks!
Original post by The Cello Ninja
Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone knew the starting date for the scheme, which I'm presuming is some point in September? I can't find it on the website.
Thanks!

I believe I read somewhere that it is the 7th September 2015 :smile:
Original post by purple-girl
Good luck everyone! I'm hoping for 3rd time lucky...got to interview 2 years ago (which went horribly) then didn't get past the tests last year!

H, I just got offered an interview today and as you've gone through the interview process before I wondered how it was. What sort of things were you asked? How long did it last?

Thanks! Good luck and I hope you got an interview this year! :smile:
Just booked my interview slot this afternoon, then realised... Friday 13th.... Hoping it shows some kind of confidence and I don't just get stuck on a train 2 miles away for many hours and miss it. D'oh
Original post by mollster57
H, I just got offered an interview today and as you've gone through the interview process before I wondered how it was. What sort of things were you asked? How long did it last?

Thanks! Good luck and I hope you got an interview this year! :smile:

Well done and good luck! Once again I didn't get through but tbh I'm more of a scientist than a manager anyway :P. The interview was tough, they started off with questions about my motivation for applying etc then moved on to situational questions about my personal qualities and teamwork (I probably shouldn't tell you the exact questions incase they reuse them but still). I completely fluffed it as they asked some really unexpected questions and it was the first real interview I'd had in 4 years. The actual interview was only about half hour but in the second half of the hour time slot you choose so there was a lot of hanging around beforehand and I'd booked quite a late train back so was hanging around quite a bit afterwards :tongue:

I know I've been vague but hope it helps anyway.
Original post by bettyob88
Just booked my interview slot this afternoon, then realised... Friday 13th.... Hoping it shows some kind of confidence and I don't just get stuck on a train 2 miles away for many hours and miss it. D'oh

Hey, you at Leeds then? Mind me asking what time your slot is? I'm going at 15:00 :smile:
Original post by LostInYourMusic
Hey, you at Leeds then? Mind me asking what time your slot is? I'm going at 15:00 :smile:

Me too :smile:
Hi everyone, I'm glad to have found this page :smile:

My interview is for the HR scheme, in London on the 4th Feb. Is anyone else going to the London venue?

Also, I've heard numerous people ( even the successful candidates) to describe the interview as "tough". Can someone share their experience in more detail? I'm not necessarily looking for the questions, but what sort of skills and competencies they are looking for? ( Besides the evident ones linked that are scheme specific )

Many thanks and look forward to reading more on this!

N
Reply 17
Original post by Niicoleta4
Hi everyone, I'm glad to have found this page :smile:

My interview is for the HR scheme, in London on the 4th Feb. Is anyone else going to the London venue?

Also, I've heard numerous people ( even the successful candidates) to describe the interview as "tough". Can someone share their experience in more detail? I'm not necessarily looking for the questions, but what sort of skills and competencies they are looking for? ( Besides the evident ones linked that are scheme specific )

Many thanks and look forward to reading more on this!

N

Well done on getting through Niicoleta. I wouldn't describe the interview as "tough": the interviewers are there to get the best out of you and I found often asked further questions to help develop my answers.

As a starting point, my advice would be to clearly know why you want to join the NHS and have some clear examples that demonstrate teamwork and self development. You should look at the Healthcare Leadership Model and see if you can relate your examples to the competencies.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone else has their interview in Leeds on 10/02/2015 at 10:45? I have to admit, I live down south and will be travelling up (treating it as a mini adventure). Having never been to Leeds I'm hoping its easy to navigate :P

As for advice about interviews, the NHS Graduate Management Training Scheme facebook page has lots of helpful tips from their live Q&A session. The actual 'live' bit has finished but they put up a transcript of all of the questions and answers from the day.

Hopefully see some of you on the 10th!
Thank you, I'm most grateful for your reply. I have been pleasantly surprised by the detail in the Healthcare Leadership Model.

:smile:

Original post by TheRealDave
Well done on getting through Niicoleta. I wouldn't describe the interview as "tough": the interviewers are there to get the best out of you and I found often asked further questions to help develop my answers.

As a starting point, my advice would be to clearly know why you want to join the NHS and have some clear examples that demonstrate teamwork and self development. You should look at the Healthcare Leadership Model and see if you can relate your examples to the competencies.

Quick Reply

Latest