The Student Room Group

solve the following question

Given that (5 rootx)squared = y 20root2 where x and y are positive integers, find the value of
x and the value of y.
Sorry not working from my laptop and cant find root or squared button.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by hlhackney
Given that (5 x)2 = y 20 2 where x and y are positive integers, find the value of
x and the value of y.

Can u repost the question cos d last segment of the question has y - 20 2. Is it 20 or there is a 2 afterwards.
Thanks
Reply 2
Hi

Yes sorry. I have edited it.It should say

Given that (5 rootx)squared = y 20root2 where x and y are positive integers, find the value of
x and the value of y

Didnt notice the laptop didnt cut and paste root and squared signs. x
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Hi Brooke,
Recheck the question again. Do u mean (5 - 2root x) or exactly wat u wrote
Thanks
Reply 4
x and the value of y.
Sorry not working from my laptop and cant find root or squared button.

Are you a teacher by any chance? Someone's posted exactly the same question on the TES forum recently :biggrin:
you can use these symbols:

²

enjoy
Reply 6
A similar question to this one actually came up on my IGCSE Additional Math exams a few weeks ago. Thankfully I was learning ahead and was rather familiar with complex numbers and managed to do the analogue in this situation. That is, equating the 'real' and 'imaginary' parts, where real is just the non-surd part and imaginary is the surd part of each side of the equation. Interesting question though! Is the answer then:

Spoiler

?

One thing I don't understand is how you can be sure that this is a unique solution? In my exam, I got a quadratic and hence got two pairs of answers. But how can you ensure that they are the only solution(s)? :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Zacken
A similar question to this one actually came up on my IGCSE Additional Math exams a few weeks ago. Thankfully I was learning ahead and was rather familiar with complex numbers and managed to do the analogue in this situation. That is, equating the 'real' and 'imaginary' parts, where real is just the non-surd part and imaginary is the surd part of each side of the equation. Interesting question though! Is the answer then:

Spoiler

?

One thing I don't understand is how you can be sure that this is a unique solution? In my exam, I got a quadratic and hence got two pairs of answers. But how can you ensure that they are the only solution(s)? :smile:

I agree with your answer, and as far as this problem is concerned I think the solution is unique "by construction" i.e. if you follow the logic through then x has to have a certain value, which forces y to have a certain value - there doesn't seem to be any step where 2 or more possibilities could arise.
Assuming the OP is looking for a hint:

(5x)2=y20225+20210x+x=yN(5-\sqrt{x})^2 = y-20\sqrt{2} \Rightarrow 25 + 20\sqrt{2} - 10\sqrt{x} +x =y \in \mathbb{N}

What condition is now required on x\sqrt{x} ?
Reply 9
For those interested this was also posted here:

http://community.tes.co.uk/tes_mathematics/f/25/t/706858.aspx

and the answer was also given.
my reasoning with this was that:

expanding the lhs and re-arranging the equation, you have that:

y=(25+x)+10(8x)y=(25+x)+10(\sqrt{8}- \sqrt{x})

clearly, the 25+x25+x is an integer iff x is, so that only leaves that you HAVE TO HAVE:

8x\sqrt{8}- \sqrt{x} is a positive (i.e. non negative i.e. including zero) integer, which is only possibly if:

8x=0\sqrt{8}- \sqrt{x}=0 since 2\sqrt{2} is not an integer even if xx is a square.

(p.s haven`t looked at the links)
Reply 11
Original post by Hasufel
my reasoning with this was that:

expanding the lhs and re-arranging the equation, you have that:

y=(25+x)+10(8x)y=(25+x)+10(\sqrt{8}- \sqrt{x})

clearly, the 25+x25+x is an integer iff x is, so that only leaves that you HAVE TO HAVE:

8x\sqrt{8}- \sqrt{x} is a positive (i.e. non negative i.e. including zero) integer, which is only possibly if:

8x=0\sqrt{8}- \sqrt{x}=0 since 2\sqrt{2} is not an integer even if xx is a square.

(p.s haven`t looked at the links)

Ooh, that's actually quite interesting. One thing I can't quite grasp about your argument is why there needs to be a restriction on why 8x\sqrt{8} - \sqrt{x} needs to be an integer.

My reasoning was that yy would remain an integer if 8x=k10kN\sqrt{8} - \sqrt{x} = \frac{k}{10} \forall k \in \mathbb{N}, this would lead to k=20210xk = 20\sqrt{2} - 10\sqrt{x} and, continuing your argument, we would set 20210x=0x=820\sqrt{2} - 10\sqrt{x} = 0 \Rightarrow x=8

Is that correct? :smile:
Original post by Zacken
Ooh, that's actually quite interesting. One thing I can't quite grasp about your argument is why there needs to be a restriction on why 8x\sqrt{8} - \sqrt{x} needs to be an integer.

My reasoning was that yy would remain an integer if 8x=k10kN\sqrt{8} - \sqrt{x} = \frac{k}{10} \forall k \in \mathbb{N}, this would lead to k=20210xk = 20\sqrt{2} - 10\sqrt{x} and, continuing your argument, we would set 20210x=0x=820\sqrt{2} - 10\sqrt{x} = 0 \Rightarrow x=8

Is that correct? :smile:

that`s a good way of putting it! :smile: more "mathematically rigorous" than mine (but for "some" k in N, `cause, to start with you`re only looking for one instance), i guess! - then you`d follow with the restriction that this is true if and only if k=0 which makes the expression inside the only integer it can be = 0.

(i just noted that 10 is an integer, so what`s inside the bracket has to be)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Hasufel
that`s a good way of putting it! :smile: more "mathematically rigorous" than mine (but for "some" k in N, `cause, to start with you`re only looking for one instance), i guess! - then you`d follow with the restriction that this is true if and only if k=0.

(i just noted that 10 is an integer, so what`s inside the bracket has to be)

Ah, I guess that now I think about it, that does seem a little stupid, since I end up setting k to 0 anyways! Thanks for explaining. :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Zacken

Spoiler

?

Hi Can you write out the method you used to find the answer. Thanks
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Ellyberry
Hi Brooke,
Recheck the question again. Do u mean (5 - 2root x) or exactly wat u wrote
Thanks

Hi

Its exactly what I wrote. X
Reply 16
Hi Can you write out the method you used to find the answer. Thanks

I'll put this in spoilers for anybody who might want to solve the problem before looking at the solution; the spoiler contains the answers and the method used.

Spoiler

Reply 17
[QUOTE="Zacken;51635029"]I'll put this in spoilers for anybody who might want to solve the problem before looking at the solution; the spoiler contains the answers and the method used.

Spoiler

Hi

Thanks

I am learning maths so why does

10root(x) = 20root(2)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
Hi

Thanks

I am learning maths so why does
10x=202x=22-10\sqrt{x} = -20\sqrt{2} \Rightarrow \sqrt{x} = 2\sqrt{2}

Oh snap! You didn't do the question yet? Gah, I shouldn't have posted the solution. :frown: - I thought you'd already done the question.
Anyways,

10x=202-10\sqrt{x} = -20\sqrt{2}, divide both sides by 10-10, we get:

10x10=20210\frac{-10\sqrt{x}}{-10} = \frac{-20\sqrt{2}}{-10}, and since 2010=2\frac{-20}{-10}= 2, the above equation turns into: x=22\sqrt{x}=2\sqrt{2}
Reply 19
Original post by Zacken
Oh snap! You didn't do the question yet? Gah, I shouldn't have posted the solution. :frown: - I thought you'd already done the question.
Anyways,

10x=202-10\sqrt{x} = -20\sqrt{2}, divide both sides by 10-10, we get:

10x10=20210\frac{-10\sqrt{x}}{-10} = \frac{-20\sqrt{2}}{-10}, and since 2010=2\frac{-20}{-10}= 2, the above equation turns into: x=22\sqrt{x}=2\sqrt{2}

Hi thanks

but why does -10root x = -20root 2

Quick Reply

Latest