The Student Room Group

Manchester Engineering foundation yr - Interview

Anyone else booked their interview? I know that there is supposed to be a maths test. Is it non-calculator? Is it really basic maths or is it harder than they make out?
(edited 9 years ago)
It's not too hard, if you are familiar with A-Level Further Mathematics it should be alright for you. Suggestion : Read up on your Mechanics and Pure Mathematics. The theory will help. About calculators, bring them along. No harm bringing extra rather than not having one.
Reply 2
Original post by chickensthatfly
It's not too hard, if you are familiar with A-Level Further Mathematics it should be alright for you. Suggestion : Read up on your Mechanics and Pure Mathematics. The theory will help. About calculators, bring them along. No harm bringing extra rather than not having one.

Oh okay, well in my letter it said it would be GCSE maths like "basic algebra" and that sort of stuff. I don't have A Level maths, let alone Further Maths aha! I have my GCSE maths at a B but I have a good understanding of maths. Is it worth learning further maths anyway? Thanks for your help too :smile:
Sorry, I got confused with the Foundation interview examination.

To answer your question properly, read up on basic AS Level mathematics. That would be sufficient. Further Maths will only be used when you enter the degree proper, so no worries about that yet. I would suggest you to get through your foundation year first, then reconsider if it is worth the effort of reading up on FM itself. :smile:
Please tell us how it goes! I may be applying next year! What other universities are you applying to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by JessicaMay97
Anyone else booked their interview? I know that there is supposed to be a maths test. Is it non-calculator? Is it really basic maths or is it harder than they make out?

Yup, my interview is booked for 7th January, when is yours? :smile:

From what I've heard the maths is very basic. From what the letter said there's nothing past maybe GCSE maths, significant figures, areas of shapes, converting units and re-arranging equations, etc :smile:
Reply 6
Thanks guys! And 10th Dec. so I'll let you know how it is. Quite nervous though aha
Reply 7
And Sheffield, sheffield Hallam, Birmingham and Leeds.
Original post by JessicaMay97
Thanks guys! And 10th Dec. so I'll let you know how it is. Quite nervous though aha

How did you find the interview? What questions did they ask you?
Original post by lsaul95
Yup, my interview is booked for 7th January, when is yours? :smile:

From what I've heard the maths is very basic. From what the letter said there's nothing past maybe GCSE maths, significant figures, areas of shapes, converting units and re-arranging equations, etc :smile:

Hi! It was good thanks, got an offer when I was there. They was a definition, 2 rearranging and one algebraic/lateral thinking based question. It's not too bad, just talk through it and the tutor will understand your thought process
Hi, thanks for the reply although I had my interview today lol I didn't get my offer today, they said they'd let us know in a few days

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yusuf Islam

Yeah it went really well, just the usual stuff really 'Why engineering' 'Why manchester'... etc etc.

Got an offer through UCAS the next day!

Quick Reply