The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

LPCers!

Scroll to see replies

Vitriol01
Plus what sort of excellent quality flatshare are you looking at for £240? Living with one other person, in the centre of Sheffield? Compare like with like

Yes. This is exactly what I'm referring to. Two of my best friends live together, in the centre of Sheffield, in a *gorgeous* flat, and this is what they pay.
I do my research, I don't just pull examples out of thin air!

Vitriol01
Drinks are no more expensive than the bars I used to go to in Newcastle

Maybe we don't frequent the same sorts of places then :rolleyes:

Vitriol01
Plus, like the poster above says: the salary is 2-3 times greater in London than it is in Newcastle or Sheffield on qualification. Are you still going to tell me that you're better off living up north?

No, because we were not discussing NQ earnings - we were discussing trainee salaries.

Vitriol01
But to say that London is a miserable place to live because it is too expensive is just rubbish.

I never said this. Maybe you should read my posts more closely before making random statements like this? :wink:
Lewis-HuStuJCR
I think the big difference is when you qualify ... 50k+ goes a darn sight closer than the mid-high 30ks in the north

Yes I agree, however Vitriol01 was initially talking about trainee salaries.

However this shouldn't make too much difference to me, I'll be on maternity leave by the time the big money kicks in lol!! :p:
presumptive :wink:
ellewoods
I'm impressed with University of Sheffield :smile:

I've got friends at BBP Leeds and Manchester, and CoL Birmingham, and they are all happy as well... my two mates at Leeds Met are suitably underwhelmed however :rolleyes:

I'm going to do the LPC at Sheffield next year, I've heard alot of good things. We had a meeting with the leading LPC lawyer at Sheffield and he assured us that it was an excellent place to do the LPC, he said it is highly regarded by the law society.(though he's obviously going to be slightly biased). Really looking forward to it. I don't really like the laid back cavalier attitude of Uni. I'm not the most motivated person at the best of times. I work so much better when under pressure. I find it way too easy to 'toss it off' when at Uni.

Definitely best under pressure :biggrin:

:suith:
DenningsWig
Definitely best under pressure :biggrin:

:suith:

Oh you'll get that in spades here! :p:
Do other LPC students have a reading week about now? We have one next week and I'm so excited! After catching up on sleep and with friends, I intend to tidy up all my notes and get ahead with some reading, plus I need to prepare for a PLP consolidation exercise the week after... :eek:
dragon_1706
Do other LPC students have a reading week about now? We have one next week and I'm so excited! After catching up on sleep and with friends, I intend to tidy up all my notes and get ahead with some reading, plus I need to prepare for a PLP consolidation exercise the week after... :eek:

I'm on mine now :smile:
I sooooo needed it; the last week at uni I was literally counting down the minutes.

I took 5 full days off! I know this may not be the most constructive use of reading week from an educational point of view, but personally I was ready to crack! I've ridden the ponies every day, worked a few shifts to get some cash, and been a bit poorly so been overdosing on vitamins!
I have never before made a actual decision "I am going to take time off from my studies" during a semester, but it was essential. I don't feel guilty at all thankfully, and feel ready to go back and crack on with my LPC! :smile:

We've got Probate all next week, so I'm doing the prep for that now.
Time off is definately called for when ur working intensely, as for probate ... you poor poor thing :redface:!!
ellewoods
I'm on mine now :smile:
I sooooo needed it; the last week at uni I was literally counting down the minutes.

I took 5 full days off! I know this may not be the most constructive use of reading week from an educational point of view, but personally I was ready to crack! I've ridden the ponies every day, worked a few shifts to get some cash, and been a bit poorly so been overdosing on vitamins!
I have never before made a actual decision "I am going to take time off from my studies" during a semester, but it was essential. I don't feel guilty at all thankfully, and feel ready to go back and crack on with my LPC! :smile:

We've got Probate all next week, so I'm doing the prep for that now.

I think it's much better to make a conscious decision to take a break than to fall into the trap of intending to do lots of work and never quite getting round to it. That'll probably be me in a week's time! :redface: It's much better not to get too exhausted, though, with the first assessments looming in the not too distant future... when is your first one?
dragon_1706
when is your first one?

10 days :frown: Practical Legal Research :frown:
ellewoods
10 days :frown: Practical Legal Research :frown:

That's our first one too. I think we get given the exercise on 10 November and then have 3 weeks to complete it - I assume that's just to give everyone time to use the books etc. We also have both accounts exams, advocacy and interviewing in December. :eek:
Think we have 5 days to do our PLR - definately no more than a week!! :eek:

We've got a week of assessments in December, and a THREE HOUR business law exam on 2ND JANUARY!!!!! :eek:

I'm glad I've taken this week off because it might be the last break I get for a while! :rolleyes: Plus we're due to get the completion date for our house either late December or early January... just one more thing for my ever increasing To Do list.... :p:
ellewoods
Think we have 5 days to do our PLR - definately no more than a week!! :eek:

We've got a week of assessments in December, and a THREE HOUR business law exam on 2ND JANUARY!!!!! :eek:

I'm glad I've taken this week off because it might be the last break I get for a while! :rolleyes: Plus we're due to get the completion date for our house either late December or early January... just one more thing for my ever increasing To Do list.... :p:

Wow, that's really bad! We were originally going to have our interviewing exams on 2-4 Jan, but luckily they've been moved to December. It does mean we don't finish the term until 22 Dec (when are we supposed to do our Christmas shopping?!), but at least we don't have an exam straight after the 'break'. Poor you! :frown:
dragon_1706
Wow, that's really bad! We were originally going to have our interviewing exams on 2-4 Jan, but luckily they've been moved to December. It does mean we don't finish the term until 22 Dec (when are we supposed to do our Christmas shopping?!), but at least we don't have an exam straight after the 'break'. Poor you! :frown:

Yes, poor me! :p:

* needs lots of tea and cuddles during December and January*
Exam on 2nd January, tough ... but 3 hours = standard :wink:.

I remember in first year when I had to move back into uni on 2nd january i was like "wtf?", let alone have an exam then.
Lewis-HuStuJCR
Exam on 2nd January, tough ... but 3 hours = standard :wink:.

I don't think I've ever had a 3 hour exam before... maybe 1 in final year actually, but definately no longer than 2.5hrs in 1st/2nd year.
I must have had it good lol!! :p:
Reply 96
I officially detest probate :p:
Ethereal
I officially detest probate :p:

9 - 5.
Easy to go Part time.
Easy to skive off on maternity for a while.
"Decent wages"

I'm in :wink:
Reply 98
ellewoods
9 - 5.

I'm nocturnal
Easy to go Part time.

I'd get bored
Easy to skive off on maternity for a while.

I'm male and I hate children
"Decent wages"

Compared to what?

I'm in :wink:

I'm not :p:
Ethereal
Compared to what?

That woman said that it wasn't "much less" than corporate lol! :p: That's why the "decent wages" bit was in quotations!!

I would be interested to know an average salary .... anyone got any ideas? Up north specifically....