The Student Room Group

Uni daughter living at home - parents still adjusting

All through her final year at school our daughter (an only child) was planning to move to the UK for her university career. We had saved to cover her maintenance costs and she had applied for a tuition loan from Student Finance.

This all changed when she missed the grades for her first choice university. After the initial shock and grief she went through clearing and was offered a place at a Russell Group university in London, and also won a place at our 'local' university, Trinity College, Dublin. Taking every thing into consideration - including finance, course content, potential for erasmus and university reputation - our daughter decided to stay at home in Dublin.

This has its pluses and minuses. We used some of the maintenance money to refurbish her room to a more adult decor. She prefers to study in the uni library, so she comes and goes when she needs to and we are fairly flexible regarding meals. She is very sociable and has thrown herself into university life, maintaining her old friends and introducing them to her new course friends.

I think that we are all coping well but I guess that I am having some difficulty reconciling the fact of her being an adult and the parental desire to be involved in her university life. Simple things like:

giving her a wake up call so that she has time to get to an early lecture is compounded by the fact that she only arrived home at 3am from a night out with friends. I'm trying not to make a scene if she misses a lecture (although she attends the majority of them and is consciencious about attending all her tutorials).

She has given out her CV to loads of shops etc and has applied for jobs online but hasn't got a part time job yet - she agrees that a job would give her more financial independence but she also knows that we would never let her go without funds for a night out.

Pre-drinks! Buying alcohol to drink with friends so that they don't have to buy more expensive drinks at clubs. A bit of a surprise to our sensibilities. ..:s-smilie:

Trying to ignore (and to stop her other mum from prying out more information) when she mentions a boy at uni. ..

I have to emphasise that our daughter is a pleasure to be with - she texts us if she'll be out late, has chatted freely about her course and how it is going. I guess that I am trying to find reassurance that we are balancing our lives with hers, wanting involvement without interfering, coming to terms with the fact that we will be a few more years before we will be coping with the empty nest syndrome and wanting to avoid becoming 'helicopter' parents.

Any and all comments would be welcome. :smile:
I'm not a parent, so I probably shouldn't be in this forum, but I saw this post in the sidebar and ended up reading it. I couldn't just leave it unanswered.

You sound like wonderful parents. I'm sure that it will take a while to adjust, but it sounds like you're well on your way to creating an arrangement that is mutually beneficial and I'm sure that your daughter will love and appreciate you for it.

My parents ended up in a similar situation with my sister. She'd moved out, but ended up having to come home. So, my parents were faced with a daughter who was no longer a child but a young adult. They've made similar arrangements - my sister has a lot of freedom, but she will let my parents know if she's staying out late, or won't be home for dinner. They're there for her when she needs it, and she knows that she can talk with them at any time, about anything that worries her.

It's worked for them for a year now, and I hope that it will work out for you and your daughter. I'm confident that it will :smile:.
Reply 2
I dont even live with my mum and im in my mid 20s and she gets funny if she knows I stayed out late.. I do have a child though I will be the same tbh. I don't even like him going to nursery as I can't see whats going on and that terrifys me. If I could I would keep him at home for life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I believe that even if your child is at a local university they should, if possible, spend a year in halls to make friends and develop their independence. Still you seem to be doing a fair job of letting them fly apart from waking them for lectures, they should have an alarm clock and make their own decision about getting up. They should also not be subsidised for all nights out. Are they cooking their own meals and sometimes one for you if you cook for them? The real test is probably going to come when she wants a partner to stay the night. Can you treat her as an adult sharing the house rather than your child?

It's not easy to let go of your child whether they are home or away because a parents instinct is to try and protect their child from all harm. But you have to keep telling yourself that it will do more harm than good in the long term when you arent there to protect them. In my family we have a coule of examples of people who really suffered from being spoilt by parents all their lives and not being allowed to make their own mistakes. Whenever I weaken I think of them. You've made a good start but try to back away a bit further over time.
Original post by parentlurker
I believe that even if your child is at a local university they should, if possible, spend a year in halls to make friends and develop their independence. Still you seem to be doing a fair job of letting them fly apart from waking them for lectures, they should have an alarm clock and make their own decision about getting up. They should also not be subsidised for all nights out. Are they cooking their own meals and sometimes one for you if you cook for them? The real test is probably going to come when she wants a partner to stay the night. Can you treat her as an adult sharing the house rather than your child?

It's not easy to let go of your child whether they are home or away because a parents instinct is to try and protect their child from all harm. But you have to keep telling yourself that it will do more harm than good in the long term when you arent there to protect them. In my family we have a coule of examples of people who really suffered from being spoilt by parents all their lives and not being allowed to make their own mistakes. Whenever I weaken I think of them. You've made a good start but try to back away a bit further over time.

Thank you for your detailed response. I appreciate your suggestions. With regard to living in halls, unfortunately not only is it extremely expensive but they are in very short supply. Living in the city, she is ineligible for halls although I broached the possibility of sharing a flat in town with friends in second year - she is going to think about it in the New Year.

Food-wise, she is very independent and a very good cook! It is great when she sends me a text to say that she will have dinner ready for when I arrive home from work! I could wish that she washed up more often. ..! I will also take your advice and bite my tongue regarding getting up for lectures.

My main area of concern is the money aspect - I will say that she has a sensible attitude to her spending and she is certainly aware of the fact that many of her friends are on a limited budget. As she told me yesterday, one of her friends gave her a gentle reminder when the friend had to choose between paying for the bus or buying lunch. We have set up a weekly payment into her account, based on what we thought would cover her weekly expenses (as we would have if she had been going to the UK for university). I know that she looks for and uses student discounts for lunches/nights out, if anything the fault is ours for offering her a tenner occasionally, something we could not do if she truly was across the Irish Sea. She has her first ball coming up this week, and although we have offered to help her pay for the dress she says that she doesn't want to pay too much for it.

However the job search seems to be somewhat desultory. As I said, she has distributed her CV but doesn't seem to be following up on any contacts. Nor did she say if she tried to look for student jobs within the uni. It is this that is niggling me most - the money would give her more independence and would make me feel better about her approach to the world of work.

Finally - I would hope that we wouldn't be small-minded about her having a boyfriend stay over. She has two mums - we're not exactly a conventional family! I certainly don't want to tie her by the apron strings, when she originally said that she wanted to go to the UK, we were the ones who were defending her decision to her unhappy grandmother who is now THRILLED to have her at home! .

So, any further advice on the subject of part - time jobs would be appreciated
Original post by Kittiara
I'm not a parent, so I probably shouldn't be in this forum, but I saw this post in the sidebar and ended up reading it. I couldn't just leave it unanswered.

You sound like wonderful parents. I'm sure that it will take a while to adjust, but it sounds like you're well on your way to creating an arrangement that is mutually beneficial and I'm sure that your daughter will love and appreciate you for it.

My parents ended up in a similar situation with my sister. She'd moved out, but ended up having to come home. So, my parents were faced with a daughter who was no longer a child but a young adult. They've made similar arrangements - my sister has a lot of freedom, but she will let my parents know if she's staying out late, or won't be home for dinner. They're there for her when she needs it, and she knows that she can talk with them at any time, about anything that worries her.

It's worked for them for a year now, and I hope that it will work out for you and your daughter. I'm confident that it will :smile:.

Thanks for your reply. We're doing our best but I will admit to being a little bit of an obsessive person. When she applied to the UK I was looking at all the university websites, reading up about the application process and even accessing the online virtual tour of her prospective college. When she got her offer in January we were over the moon.

Now that she is at the home university, I have now become very familiar with that website too...!

I am trying very hard to limit my own interest in her studies to what SHE wants to tell me, and not to be intrusive. I guess that because I never had the university experience (I trained for a paramedical career to diploma level, although now it is a degree-level qualification) I just want her to have a fantastic time at university and to relish every part of it.
Original post by MrMango
I dont even live with my mum and im in my mid 20s and she gets funny if she knows I stayed out late.. I do have a child though I will be the same tbh. I don't even like him going to nursery as I can't see whats going on and that terrifys me. If I could I would keep him at home for life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As an only child we have always encouraged our daughter to be safe but independent, and if she had gone to the UK we would have been delighted for her. However if she had gone, we would have known only what she told us about her university experience. I think that I am more worried about trying to get the balance between being supportive and of being overly intrusive. I am very aware that it is HER life, and I am concerned that I might be trying (a little! ) to live mine through hers 😕
Reply 7
I can so relate to this on many levels.

Our younger son chose to go to one of our local universities because of the course not the geography. Fortunately that uni doesn't treat local students any differently to students from out of the area re accommodation and so he was able to secure a place in halls of res. I know this isn't possible for all unis especially ones in London.

In many ways he wasn't so worldly savvy re life skills so we thought it best he give living away a try with the safety net of coming back home if he needed. From a parental perspective we thought everything was hunky dory until he fessed up near results day that he'd not taken some exams because he'd got in a panic about not doing enough revision and having got the life/work balance wrong. Not that he is a party animal just that he'd worried more about coping domestically and neglected his work side a bit. Anyway all this was resolved when he sat the exams in August and sailed through marks wise although technically it was just graded a pass. Luckily the first year doesn't count towards the degree. Of course you beat yourself up worrying that you didn't prepare them right but it was a bit puzzling because his elder brother, who we thought we'd brought up the same, didn't have such problems, hey ho.

This year he has chosen to live away from home again but is sharing a house with some of his ex flat mates from last year. He says he's much more confident domestically and got his head around work, deadlines and coping with the house. We've also told him that if he starts to feel out of his depth again to speak up. Hopefully he's learned from this fright (as have we).

Anyway the thing is that somewhere down the line they're going to have to leave home for placements , work or so on. Hopefully your daughter has her head screwed on better than our son but the truth is you never know unless they try it. I can appreciate that there are those people for whom living at home is the only option financially or because they have other family responsibilities. Since this is your daughter's first year I'd guess that most of her cohort are in halls? If you can afford it I'd recommend she try a house or flat share next academic year when they're likely looking for private rental. She always has the family home as a fall back should problems arise and given that it sounds a loving supportive place that wouldn't be all bad would it :smile: ?

Putting on another hat now when I was at uni I lived at home and as much as I loved my parents to bits and they me, obviously, there was a sense of me apologising for coming and going when I pleased and not feeling as free (not wanting to cause them worry about what I was and wasn't doing).

In balance what I'm saying is that if she decides she wants to move out or gets chance to it might be a good experience not that I think you are in any way doing anything wrong.

All best wishes to you :smile:
Original post by Folion
I can so relate to this on many levels.

Our younger son chose to go to one of our local universities because of the course not the geography. Fortunately that uni doesn't treat local students any differently to students from out of the area re accommodation and so he was able to secure a place in halls of res. I know this isn't possible for all unis especially ones in London.

In many ways he wasn't so worldly savvy re life skills so we thought it best he give living away a try with the safety net of coming back home if he needed. From a parental perspective we thought everything was hunky dory until he fessed up near results day that he'd not taken some exams because he'd got in a panic about not doing enough revision and having got the life/work balance wrong. Not that he is a party animal just that he'd worried more about coping domestically and neglected his work side a bit. Anyway all this was resolved when he sat the exams in August and sailed through marks wise although technically it was just graded a pass. Luckily the first year doesn't count towards the degree. Of course you beat yourself up worrying that you didn't prepare them right but it was a bit puzzling because his elder brother, who we thought we'd brought up the same, didn't have such problems, hey ho.

This year he has chosen to live away from home again but is sharing a house with some of his ex flat mates from last year. He says he's much more confident domestically and got his head around work, deadlines and coping with the house. We've also told him that if he starts to feel out of his depth again to speak up. Hopefully he's learned from this fright (as have we).

Anyway the thing is that somewhere down the line they're going to have to leave home for placements , work or so on. Hopefully your daughter has her head screwed on better than our son but the truth is you never know unless they try it. I can appreciate that there are those people for whom living at home is the only option financially or because they have other family responsibilities. Since this is your daughter's first year I'd guess that most of her cohort are in halls? If you can afford it I'd recommend she try a house or flat share next academic year when they're likely looking for private rental. She always has the family home as a fall back should problems arise and given that it sounds a loving supportive place that wouldn't be all bad would it :smile: ?

Putting on another hat now when I was at uni I lived at home and as much as I loved my parents to bits and they me, obviously, there was a sense of me apologising for coming and going when I pleased and not feeling as free (not wanting to cause them worry about what I was and wasn't doing).

In balance what I'm saying is that if she decides she wants to move out or gets chance to it might be a good experience not that I think you are in any way doing anything wrong.

All best wishes to you :smile:

Thank you for your very supportive answer. I am sorry to hear that your son had problems during his first year. I am glad that they were resolved. I think that my daughter is doing okay study-wise, she is clear on what assignments are due and what work is needed. Apparently she has to do a group project in one subject and the group she is working with are not exactly forthcoming with ideas! She has somehow become the de facto leader of the group because she was the only one suggesting topics, essays and deadlines for the assignment. She says that she feels like she has become a benevolent dictator!

As I said, I have asked her about living in private accommodation next year but she is undecided as yet. She has kept up with all of her friends from secondary school - Dublin has three universities and although she was the only one to get into TCD she and her friends regularly meet up for coffee/meals/parties. In fact, she and her best friend have joined their respective debating societies and tomorrow they have competitive debates in their own unis, so she is staying at her friend's house tonight to work on debate prep together 😊 This doesn't mean that she hasn't made friends with those on her course. A close friend is an international student who is living in halls (unhappily, because she is doing an arts course and her flatmates are okay but are all medics). She has been integrated into the Dublin circle of friends, at Halloween the TCD/UCD friends went out clubbing together. I am wondering if a second year flatshare with this girl might be an option. My daughter hopes to get a year abroad for third year, so we are all saving for that (TCD has 4-year degree courses).

I have few qualms about my daughter's ability to cope with an independent life, she and three friends had a successful 3 week interrailling holiday during the summer, organised by themselves. Your comment about her not feeling free about her comings and goings resonates strongly with me, we are definitely going to have to check ourselves so as not to make her feel too restricted. I guess that we will just have to see how things go over the next few months.
Reply 9
Original post by Helen_in_Ireland

Your comment about her not feeling free about her comings and goings resonates strongly with me, we are definitely going to have to check ourselves so as not to make her feel too restricted. I guess that we will just have to see how things go over the next few months.

The truth is we can be the coolest people on the planet but we're still parents eh? :smile: I don't think it matters what we do or don't do there's still going to be a certain degree of self consciousness and restraint of behaviour on the offsprings' part in the parental home.

My main area of concern is the money aspect -

However the job search seems to be somewhat desultory. As I said, she has distributed her CV but doesn't seem to be following up on any contacts. Nor did she say if she tried to look for student jobs within the uni. It is this that is niggling me most - the money would give her more independence and would make me feel better about her approach to the world of work.

So, any further advice on the subject of part - time jobs would be appreciated

Mine is on an intense course where working in term time isn't encouraged and really I think they do better if they don't have to work then. The summer holidays, however, are another matter. Did you pay for the holiday last year? We have a clear understanding with our child that while we will spoil them to an extent (we buy some clothes as Christmas/ birthday presents) we expect them to work in the summer to part fund their social life and holidays. They work part of each holiday, including Christmas and Easter. We are becoming tougher on money but my other half would spoil them more than I do so I have to work it slowly. Next summer they are looking to internships and it was gently made clear that they needed to work out how they'd pay for accommodation and transport if needed. There is a lot of retail work at Christmas, they should be able to find something. Major stores/ the post office may have online application.
Reply 11
As an only child we have always encouraged our daughter to be safe but independent, and if she had gone to the UK we would have been delighted for her. However if she had gone, we would have known only what she told us about her university experience. I think that I am more worried about trying to get the balance between being supportive and of being overly intrusive. I am very aware that it is HER life, and I am concerned that I might be trying (a little! ) to live mine through hers 😕

Hi again
I think you can forgive yourself - given that our kids are the part of us that carries on in the world (whether that's genetically or through nurture or both) we can't help but live our lives a little through them, can we? Knowing they're on the right path and happy is most parents' overriding concern and I know when my first son left home I was anxious to know he was alive/not too stressed/making friends/doing OK academically etc. But it sounds like you're doing pretty well. I would definitely advise that she finds a group of friends to live out with next year, and she may find over the next couple of months it becomes clearer who she really likes and who was just a 'fresher friend' she wouldn't want to live with. I wonder if it might help to give her now the full maintenance sum you would have given her in the UK but then get her to pay part of it back for rent and food (at a real rate). I know it seems a bit crazy to pay her to pay you, but it might help give her more sense of managing a budget independently? Just a thought. I would be careful about pushing too hard to get a job at this early stage, though. I'd agree with parentlurker that they do need to focus on work in term, especially in the first year when they're also socialising to the max and getting used to the whole thing.
As for pre-drinking.....let's just say it's another world compared to our days. I have one who doesn't drink but frankly the other one more than makes up for him with pres and sports socials and any other excuse. I think that's one you really just have to turn a blind eye to and tell yourself you wouldn't know if she was over here!
Mine is on an intense course where working in term time isn't encouraged and really I think they do better if they don't have to work then. The summer holidays, however, are another matter. Did you pay for the holiday last year? We have a clear understanding with our child that while we will spoil them to an extent (we buy some clothes as Christmas/ birthday presents) we expect them to work in the summer to part fund their social life and holidays. They work part of each holiday, including Christmas and Easter. We are becoming tougher on money but my other half would spoil them more than I do so I have to work it slowly. Next summer they are looking to internships and it was gently made clear that they needed to work out how they'd pay for accommodation and transport if needed. There is a lot of retail work at Christmas, they should be able to find something. Major stores/ the post office may have online application.

Yes, if my daughter had gone to the UK university then she would not have been allowed to work and she would have had assignments and reading to do over the Christmas and Long vacations.

Last summer she went Interailling around Europe with some friends (it is traditional in Ireland that school leavers organise one last big holiday before splitting up to go to different universities). This was funded from her own savings from a Saturday job that she had in fifth year, money from her 18th birthday and some from her grandmother. We paid for a night in a hotel and part of her initial airfare.

Next summer she is applying either a volunteer post in India or for a prestigious Ireland/America programme in the US in Washington DC (first years rarely get chosen but the volunteer programme would stand her in good stead to reapply for the end of second year).

Both programmes would support her CV post graduate, but she still would have some weeks for a summer job.
This was funded from her own savings from a Saturday job that she had in fifth year, money from her 18th birthday and some from her grandmother. So she has found a job in the past

Next summer she is applying either a volunteer post in India or for a prestigious Ireland/America programme in the US in Washington DC (first years rarely get chosen but the volunteer programme would stand her in good stead to reapply for the end of second year).

Both programmes would support her CV post graduate, but she still would have some weeks for a summer job.

"Volunteer posts" in India are usually just a way of getting more tourist money into local economies. As a former interviewer I'd be more impressed by someone who had had a real job for the summer, even if it was dishwashing although if it will really help her apply for the American programme perhaps she should do it. I assume bank of Mum and Mum would be expected to pay for it again, not the way to encourage independence. Perhaps a loan to be repaid by working the rest of the summer....
Reply 14
"Volunteer posts" in India are usually just a way of getting more tourist money into local economies. As a former interviewer I'd be more impressed by someone who had had a real job for the summer, even if it was dishwashing although if it will really help her apply for the American programme perhaps she should do it. I assume bank of Mum and Mum would be expected to pay for it again, not the way to encourage independence. Perhaps a loan to be repaid by working the rest of the summer....

I agree one has to be careful about what volunteer projects to take on. Some, like you say, are effectively a rip off and not really charitable at all with the "orphans" and "sick animals" etc being imported so to speak. I certainly wouldn't rule out volunteer work altogether though and I don't see the harm in maybe supporting a cause physically close to home or maybe doing something locally on one's own initiative. An articulate person could certainly spin how "the experience" has helped them develop as an individual as well as helping others.

The programme is www.suas.ie which has been running for over ten years and has a presence in her university as a student society. She would have to fundraise in advance, and she has to do it herself - the programme will help them in that endeavour.

It is a ten week programme, working in groups. She had an interview yesterday and will find out if she has a place before Christmas. There will be three preparation weekends in the spring.

I will certainly check on the validity of the programme but so far it seems legitimate.

The programme is www.suas.ie which has been running for over ten years and has a presence in her university as a student society. She would have to fundraise in advance, and she has to do it herself - the programme will help them in that endeavour.

It is a ten week programme, working in groups. She had an interview yesterday and will find out if she has a place before Christmas. There will be three preparation weekends in the spring.

I will certainly check on the validity of the programme but so far it seems legitimate.

ETA: I did some checking regarding the Suas programme. Suas is a registered charity which was set up by a professor at Trinity College, Dublin in 2002. The CEO has worked for Irish charity Trocaire, Oxfam and INGOs. Another director is also a director of the other programme that I mentioned, the Washington Ireland Program!

Suas supports a Global Citizenship programme where students can also join their work on Ireland by being trained to assist on literacy programmes and as mentors.

The ten week trip to India is solid work as English teaching assistants in Indian schools working with Indian teachers. Cultural awareness training is included in the preparation weekends along with basic language classes (the student continues to study the languages themselves). At the end of the ten weeks the volunteers return date can be immediately, ten days later or three weeks later, to allow them to travel as a tourist.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending