The Student Room Group

A-Levels Mock Exams Thread (2014 - 2015)

Scroll to see replies

Really happy with my mock grades!!!

Maths C1: A - 72/75 made such silly mistakes
Physics: A - 50/60
Chemistry: A - 57/60
History unit 1: A - 51/60
History unit 2: A - 54/60

Really pleased, especially with history, however we have an FP1 mock in a couple of weeks and I'm not sure how well that's going to go

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey! Does anybody know what came up for last years AQA AS biology unit 1 paper?
I thought most mocks were done just before or just after Christmas. March seems too late to be thinking about mocks. you should be thinking about the real things at that stage!
Original post by SH0405
I thought most mocks were done just before or just after Christmas. March seems too late to be thinking about mocks. you should be thinking about the real things at that stage!

its not march love, my mock exam for biology is on friday, was only wondering what came up on last years :smile:
Original post by nukhba.mir
its not march love, my mock exam for biology is on friday, was only wondering what came up on last years :smile:

Erm...it was a general reply to the thread. Not to you. "Love".
Original post by SH0405
Erm...it was a general reply to the thread. Not to you. "Love".

Oh i apologise :smile: i thought you asked me, im new to the student room

Sorry again :smile:
Original post by Bruno26
Congratulations for an amazing mock results! Can I please ask, what was your revision technique for getting an 'A' in Psychology!? :smile: I've got my actual mocks in March and on my practice mock in January, I got a 'B' in Psychology (Probably because I didn't do 1 of the 12 marks question :3)

Thanks... I'm studying A2 at the moment, just to let you know. Which unit is your mock actually on? To be honest with you, Psychology is about how much you can remember, So for each potential essay question, I ensured that i could outline at least 2 studies in a good amount of detail and evaluate them. Before you go into the exam, someone should be able to ask you a potential 12 marker and you should be able to briefly explain the studies you are going to use and outline them. Mind maps help with memory organisation and being able to remember exactly what points you are going to include in each potential essay. But most importantly, I wrote out every potential essay several times until I could remember it of by heart. It's tiring, but it is worth it.

I hope I've helped :smile:
Original post by nukhba.mir
Oh i apologise :smile: i thought you asked me, im new to the student room

Sorry again :smile:

:tongue:
C1: B
C2: E
M1: D

In Physics I got an E

I know I can do it as well haha, need to do more work out of lesson and revision.
Original post by fbrep2012
Thanks... I'm studying A2 at the moment, just to let you know. Which unit is your mock actually on? To be honest with you, Psychology is about how much you can remember, So for each potential essay question, I ensured that i could outline at least 2 studies in a good amount of detail and evaluate them. Before you go into the exam, someone should be able to ask you a potential 12 marker and you should be able to briefly explain the studies you are going to use and outline them. Mind maps help with memory organisation and being able to remember exactly what points you are going to include in each potential essay. But most importantly, I wrote out every potential essay several times until I could remember it of by heart. It's tiring, but it is worth it.

I hope I've helped :smile:

I'm studying A2 as well :smile: Last mock, it was on PSYA3 (Aggression, Gender and Relationships)+research Methods and for this upcoming March, it will be on PSYA3 AND PSYA4(Schizophrenia and Addiction,including research methods) so there's going to be a lot to learn:s-smilie: Mindmap's don't really help me but I'll do the learning 2 studies bit! I'll learn at least 2 studies for each one and from those studies, it should be simple and manageable to extend on evaluation points! That's also the only way I revise for the mocks, just keep re-writing potential essays....it is too much effort and I get bored easily, but it is worth it if I get a good grade! :biggrin:Thanks for the help :smile:
Original post by SH0405

I know right!:smile: I was surprised when I found out my mock week were on March, but it is understandable to do mocks at around that time. Because by then, most topics in the specification would've been taught and covered and also students would have done lots of practice questions, and so their mock results will reflect their knowledge of the subject more 'accurately'. Plus, some/most students don't really revise around 'Christmas holiday'...because...it's Christmas. So mock results in January may not be reliable and won't show a true reflection of the student's actual ability.
Original post by Bruno26
I'm studying A2 as well :smile: Last mock, it was on PSYA3 (Aggression, Gender and Relationships)+research Methods and for this upcoming March, it will be on PSYA3 AND PSYA4(Schizophrenia and Addiction,including research methods) so there's going to be a lot to learn:s-smilie: Mindmap's don't really help me but I'll do the learning 2 studies bit! I'll learn at least 2 studies for each one and from those studies, it should be simple and manageable to extend on evaluation points! That's also the only way I revise for the mocks, just keep re-writing potential essays....it is too much effort and I get bored easily, but it is worth it if I get a good grade! :biggrin:Thanks for the help :smile:

Ohh I thought your practice mock was on either unit 1 or 2 as you referred to the 12 marker haha. For the 24 markers at A2, 2 studies alone won't be enough. I suggest being able to outline in good detail, 2 studies, then be able to evaluate them both using more research. E,g, this study is supported by research from..... however, this research from (insert name) refutes this. To get an the top grades, B, A and A*, your AO3 needs to be on point. I'd say include at least 3 IDA's in good detail.
i feel so bad after my mock exam results got back to meee> do think i still have time to improve???
Original post by fbrep2012
Ohh I thought your practice mock was on either unit 1 or 2 as you referred to the 12 marker haha. For the 24 markers at A2, 2 studies alone won't be enough. I suggest being able to outline in good detail, 2 studies, then be able to evaluate them both using more research. E,g, this study is supported by research from..... however, this research from (insert name) refutes this. To get an the top grades, B, A and A*, your AO3 needs to be on point. I'd say include at least 3 IDA's in good detail.

Oh right hehehe thanks! I'll try and do that :smile: I really want an A! A* would be nice, but there's no point in trying to get both A* in A2 units as I didn't get A at AS (I got a 'B' with 4 ums from an 'A') so yup! Just going to try and get an 'A' overall :smile:
Is 66 marks at least an A in D1 paper?
Original post by Mary562
Is 66 marks at least an A in D1 paper?

Your best bet would be too look back at old grade boundaries for the best estimate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not sure if this thread is still alive (looks like it might be?) but I just got given my results;

C1 - A - 73/75 (I think I made a stupid mistake with regards to forgetting to say how many solutions there were, I just explained why there were that many solutions. oops)
C2 - A - 75/75
S1 - A - 70/75 (Asked for exact values, I left as decimal :s-smilie:)
Physics Unit 1 - A - 47/60 (Could've done better, but it was still 9 into the A boundary and was quite a hard paper (only 2 people in my group got > 38!))
Chemistry Unit 1 - A - 58/60 (Pretty chuffed with this one, I usually hang around 49/60 ish)
Biology Unit 1 - A - something/60 (Haven't been given the paper back yet :O).
Original post by frances98
Your best bet would be too look back at old grade boundaries for the best estimate

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile:
Psychology A2 - A*
ICT - A
sociology - D

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got my mock results back today:

Economics - A
Biology - B (1 raw mark off an A!)
Maths/Further Maths - B (2 UMS off an A)

Overall, I'm pretty chuffed because I was quite sure I did terribly in all my exams :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest