The Student Room Group

Scotland in parliament

Should Scotland have a say in Parliament regarding English affairs or should they only have a say in what affects the Scottish people?

Scroll to see replies

They shouldn't.
Original post by Snagprophet
They shouldn't.

why though?
Original post by ConlanScottoc
why though?

Just shouldn't.
Original post by Snagprophet
Just shouldn't.

Your political knowledge is top notch.
Reply 5
I'm Scottish and I don't think we should. We don't govern the English, the English do. Any UK-wide acts of law or governing, we should have an equal say along with NI and Wales, but for English issues I don't see why the Scots should have a say.
No. Kick out all the Scots.
Your political knowledge is top notch.

thx m8
Reply 8
Why should the Scots have a say about our domestic affairs?
There's a huge inconsistency in the UK political system that allows Scottish MPs to vote in English issues, but not the opposite way around. This problem is created from the fact that England doesn't have its own parliament, whereas both Wales and Scotland do. I wholeheartedly disagree with Scottish MPs being able to vote on English issues, and if I had things my way, they absolutely wouldn't be able to. I find it interesting that whilst tuition fees don't exist in Scotland, Scottish MPs voted for tuition fees in England. Funny that. And tuition fees are just one example of how the UK parliamentary system is inconsistent and often unfair.
Should Scotland have a say in Parliament regarding English affairs or should they only have a say in what affects the Scottish people?

If you wish to encourage the further distinguishing of Scotland and England from each other then EVEL is a great way to do it. As i believe in one united Kingdom i'm happy for my brethren north of the border to continue having input.

Great political trap from Cameron though.
Original post by Rakas21
If you wish to encourage the further distinguishing of Scotland and England from each other then EVEL is a great way to do it. As i believe in one united Kingdom i'm happy for my brethren north of the border to continue having input.

You're happy for them to have input in English affairs, but not vice versa?
Original post by Reluire
You're happy for them to have input in English affairs, but not vice versa?

I have no objection to English MP's voting on Scottish matters.

We are one United Kingdom.
England has tons of input in Scottish affairs, not least because we are so enormous compared to Scotland nearly everything we do has a major impact on them. I see no problem with it.

Moreover, and exactly for this reason, there are precious, vanishingly few, matters of Parliament that are England-exclusive. Most are British, or UK-wide, and a few are England/Wales or Scotland. I'd wager less than 5% of Parliament's annual business is exclusively English.
Reply 14
Original post by Rakas21

Even as a Yes voter I do not believe, under the current union, that Scottish MPs should have a say in English domestic issues although i'd have to say some people argument that it's only fair because "England don't have a say in Scottish matters" is a bit ironic depending on where you stand on the matter. But I'd have to agree, well executed trap set by Cameron that alienates the Labour Party either way they swing. For Scot MPs say and they alienate English support, against it and they reduce their own input as many Lab MP's constituencies are in Scotland
The referendum should be re-run with the choice being no special treatment within the UK (and the abolition of the devolved assembly), or independence. If there is support for it in the country at large this can be coupled with a general devolution to for instance the county level, but it cannot be skewed by national preference. A Scottish exit on those terms should be considered an acceptable outcome.
Reply 16
Scottish MP's probably ought not to vote on only English matters where the same matter is already devolved, however as Westminster is currently structured how do you deal with the fact that X party might have a majority at Westminster re UK matters but Y party had a majority re English only matters?

This can of course be dealt with by having Westminster for UK matters and a distinct entity re English matters/ distinct English Regional entities, but this potentially means there are two classes of MP; something a large number of MPs will resist and possibly not that supported by the electorate. (Certainly during the Scottish referendum the issue was discussed at length on the internet and there was a fair amount of adverse comment)

Maybe each distinct regional entity could legislate for its regional issues and each send so many representatives to a UK Westminster for UK matters, I really expect that eventually some form of "federal" representation will evolve.

Once the outcome of the Smith Commission is clear I expect this will give rise to more UK wide discussion, however I do not really expect the main parties to really start the discussions re a wider consensus, covering all of the UK, until after next year's General Election.
Original post by gladders
Moreover, and exactly for this reason, there are precious, vanishingly few, matters of Parliament that are England-exclusive. Most are British, or UK-wide, and a few are England/Wales or Scotland. I'd wager less than 5% of Parliament's annual business is exclusively English.

Can't be that few matters or they wouldn't need a Welsh and Scottish Parliament.....
Reply 18
Original post by billydisco
Can't be that few matters or they wouldn't need a Welsh and Scottish Parliament.....

Yes, there are actually a fair number of areas devolved, NHS, Education are two of the big ones. I suspect they could deal with UK matters 2/3 days a week and regional matters 2/3.
I believe that Scottish MP's should only have a say in what affects the whole of the United Kingdom. I believe we should have an English First Minister, and then a British Prime Minister. The English First Minister and Prime Minister could be the same person, if they have a majority of seats in England (for English First Minister) and the whole of the UK (for PM). I think that this would clear up the debate over Scottish MP's voting on 'English' matters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending