The Student Room Group

A devastated father takes to Facebook with a blunt message after his son dies of OD

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I was originally writing this thread to see peoples views on a father putting his dead sons image on facebook etc... Sure it raises awareness, but would you want your dead corpse put on show to the world?? :P
Reply 41
Original post by Balloon Baboon
And this is why we should never legalise drugs.

Is that because criminalising them certainly saved his life?
The kind of desperate logic on this thread, touted by people in love with drugs, that tries to turn a fatal drug overdose into an argument for more legal and widely-available drugs reminds me of the nutjob gun-addicts in America who use school shootings to argue for more guns.

Face it. Drugs ruin people and communities. At worst they kill or disable, at best they make you a useless waster. If you're one of those people who take drugs now and then and don't notice any bad effects then good for you. But don't expect the country to endorse and enable that.
Original post by YGD
Is that because criminalising them certainly saved his life?

And neither would legalising it.
Original post by paddyman4
The kind of desperate logic on this thread, touted by people in love with drugs, that tries to turn a fatal drug overdose into an argument for more legal and widely-available drugs reminds me of the nutjob gun-addicts in America who use school shootings to argue for more guns.

Face it. Drugs ruin people and communities. At worst they kill or disable, at best they make you a useless waster. If you're one of those people who take drugs now and then and don't notice any bad effects then good for you. But don't expect the country to endorse and enable that.

The drug that killed him is legal anyway and available over the counter.
Original post by moonkatt
What apparently killed the young man in the story can be brought OTC.

I bought a potato over the counter.
Original post by demx9
>psychosis

that's a myth.. debunked by scientific research.

No it's not? It most certainly has not been 'debunked' by scientific research.
Original post by demx9
Estimates of the prevalence of LSD-induced prolonged psychosis lasting over 48 hours have been made by surveying researchers and therapists who had administered LSD:

Cohen (1960) estimated 0.8 per 1,000 volunteers (the single case among approximately 1250 study volunteers was the identical twin of a person with schizophrenia, and he recovered within 5 days).

Malleson (1971) reported no cases of psychosis among experimental subjects (170 volunteers who received a total of 450 LSD sessions).

According to data from the National Survey on Drug Use and Health (conducted by the National Institute on Drug Abuse), drawing from 130,152 respondents (17,486 of which used LSD), LSD use is associated with a slightly lower risk of psychosis and other mental illness.

Straight out of wikipedia aren't you clever.
Reply 48
Original post by TolerantBeing
Straight out of wikipedia aren't you clever.

mommy wikipedia disagrees with me baah :'(
Reply 49
And neither would legalising it.

If it was legalised the tax revenues from its sale could have been used to help rehabilitate him
The illegal ones?

Wouldn't really matter if they were legal or not. It's the education on drugs society is really missing, IMO.
Original post by demx9
mommy wikipedia disagrees with me baah :'(

Grow up you're a bit pathetic.
Reply 52
Original post by TolerantBeing
Grow up you're a bit pathetic.

Original post by YGD
If it was legalised the tax revenues from its sale could have been used to help rehabilitate him

Do you really believe drug addicts would pay tax on drugs instead of just getting it from a dealer with no tax?
Original post by TSA
Everybody makes mistake, does that mean those that make the mistake of trying a drug deserve to die? Did the person in question deserve to die? Does his son deserve to live a life without a father because of one bad decision he made?

Countless people have died from OD so you don't need a liberty to "try" it out because "my life my rules" or "it's none of your business my body my life" or <insert your crap philosophy>

And honestly a chronic drug addict for a father is not what every child wants
Reply 55
Original post by ShotsFired-9941
“do anything if it feels right” attitude

Whoever coined that term deserves to be shot. You won't believe the amount of people that have said "this is my life I do what i want". It's the worst mantra you could ever have.

hear hear :congrats:
Reply 56
Do you really believe drug addicts would pay tax on drugs instead of just getting it from a dealer with no tax?

Yes, much in the same way that the vast majority of cigarettes are bought taxed, not from dealers
Original post by YGD
Yes, much in the same way that the vast majority of cigarettes are bought taxed, not from dealers

There's no way a drug addict is going to spend extra money on tax when he or she wouldn't need to.

Drug dealers aren't going to go anywhere, neither are the cartels/drug suppliers.
There's no way a drug addict is going to spend extra money on tax when he or she wouldn't need to.

Drug dealers aren't going to go anywhere, neither are the cartels/drug suppliers.

Well, drugs already have huge mark-ups on them as it stands so the profit is worth the risk for the dealer.

IF there were to be legalised then any drug addict would end up paying a similar price or lower.
And this is why we should never legalise drugs.

Lol.

Quick Reply