The Student Room Group

What If I get caught lieing on UCAS

So last year .. I messed up a few exams and didn't get into university. I took a gap year and decided to retake them. I didn't mention anything about taking a gap year also put A2 grades as "Pending". I rejected a uni last year which I want to reapply to this year. What is the worst that could happen when they realise i've applied before and this time didn't put A2 grades down and didn't mention about the gap year on personal statement? Also, when you apply to uni's they usually make an account for you on their "applicant portal" and I checked my account still exists on their site

I've not sent my ucas application yet ..
Original post by Bealzibub
So last year .. I messed up a few exams and didn't get into university. I took a gap year and decided to retake them. I didn't mention anything about taking a gap year also put A2 grades as "Pending". I rejected a uni last year which I want to reapply to this year. What is the worst that could happen when they realise i've applied before and this time didn't put A2 grades down and didn't mention about the gap year on personal statement? Also, when you apply to uni's they usually make an account for you on their "applicant portal" and I checked my account still exists on their site

Sorry, but rules are rules and it was quite foolish of you to have omitted this sort of information. It may not completely ruin your application but, if they find out (through portal/previous records) then it may reflect badly on you. But don't worry over something you don't have the power to change now. Best of luck.

Honestly speaking, you've kind of messed up there:colondollar: - and I'm not going to sugar coat it to you because that's just giving you false hope... Universities whether it be one of the Russel Groups or not WILL check everything there is no getting you're way around it... they will do that in the meeting process or the application process...

If I were you and i was lucky to get through to the meeting you can talk about why you had taken the gap year (i.e. was it because you wanted to work extra hard, stress etc etc?) your personal statement isn't always about gap year (so phew :P) and you have your A2 results now right? then you mention it or like my cousin had done before, re-apply... :smile: if not then go to the university or send an email or post a letter to the Uni telling them that you did :redface:
Reply 3
Your UCAS application can be cancelled. If they find out after you've started uni, they can still kick you out. So even if you do get offers and a place you'd still spend 3 years worrying.
Well if you're retaking them then you're supposed to put pending aren't you? They will know that you're retaking because the date of your A2 results will be 2 years after your AS results.
I would have thought for retakes, you would put your grades down as pending anyway? Surely they'd know you're resitting a year? There'd be a 2 year gap in the dates. At least that's what I think since I'm retaking; I'm a bit worried now.

Edit: My teacher said 'The dates on your exams should always be June. Please put any A-level exams that you are re-sitting as 'pending' with 06/2015 as the date; the school will be asked to provide predicted grades for these exams. For any subjects that you are not re-sitting, please record the final grade with 06/2014 as the date. Your AS levels will stay the same. Remember to include general studies and the EPQ.'
Original post by anonwinner
Well if you're retaking them then you're supposed to put pending aren't you? They will know that you're retaking because the date of your A2 results will be 2 years after your AS results.

My school certificated my AS results same year as my A2 so going by the dates of this years application it looks like i'm not a retake student. As AS dates are from last year and A2 dates pending 2015.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Juno
Your UCAS application can be cancelled. If they find out after you've started uni, they can still kick you out. So even if you do get offers and a place you'd still spend 3 years worrying.

Okay .. let say I apply to different university where I haven't applied previously. I don't think then they can really prove that I lied. Since my AS results were certificated last year. So on my application I put AS qualification date of last year and A2 date as 2015. Technically, i'm not lieing, its correct. A2 grades should be pending anyway since i'm retaking. So from my point of view, It's all techincally correct and not doing anything wrong. How could universities possibly find out later? Why would they even research my past
Reply 8
Okay .. let say I apply to different university where I haven't applied previously. I don't think then they can really prove that I lied. Since my AS results were certificated last year. So on my application I put AS qualification date of last year and A2 date as 2015. Technically, i'm not lieing, its correct. A2 grades should be pending anyway since i'm retaking. So from my point of view, It's all techincally correct and not doing anything wrong. How could universities possibly find out later? Why would they even research my past

They get all results direct from the exam board - ie they will receive both sets of results

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you get put in clearing last year?

If so every university will be able to see your previous application - complete with the matched A level results.

It really isn't worth trying to game university applications this way - resitting a year is not generally a problem, LYING is (and is ridiculously easy for universities to catch you out when you lie about your qualifications like this).

Just declare your original A level grades.
Original post by PQ
Did you get put in clearing last year?

If so every university will be able to see your previous application - complete with the matched A level results.

It really isn't worth trying to game university applications this way - resitting a year is not generally a problem, LYING is (and is ridiculously easy for universities to catch you out when you lie about your qualifications like this).

Just declare your original A level grades.

I think so.. i didn't withdraw from UCAS and received an email from UCAS with some clearing number so was probably automatically entered into clearning. The uni i wanna apply to wasn't available for clearing for maths but I will probably have no chance of getting in to where I want to go with mentioning retake year
(edited 9 years ago)
Ah, I'll just be honest with my UCAS application and declare everything

carrying on with this application, can someone please shed some light here (specifically 3rd post):
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2974145

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending