The Student Room Group

Sports Law?

Is there a category of sports law like there is for divorces and injuries/claims? If so, how do you get into it? Thanks!!
Reply 1
Original post by oli19919
Is there a category of sports law like there is for divorces and injuries/claims? If so, how do you get into it? Thanks!!

Yes, in order to become a sports law solicitor I'd recommend doing law at university, taking a sports law module whilst there and when applying for training contracts after your degree looking for firms who have a sports law arm and trying to get a seat on it as part of your training contract. That gives you the best chance via a law degree.
Original post by Wattsy
Yes, in order to become a sports law solicitor I'd recommend doing law at university, taking a sports law module whilst there and when applying for training contracts after your degree looking for firms who have a sports law arm and trying to get a seat on it as part of your training contract. That gives you the best chance via a law degree.

Thank you! I've got a couple of questions; 1) What GCSE grades do you think I would need to get into law (I.e how many A* should be enough) 2) Do you recommend a history (or any other related subject) conversion course at uni? Thanks!!
Original post by Wattsy

And also what does sports law really ​involve?
Reply 4
Thank you! I've got a couple of questions; 1) What GCSE grades do you think I would need to get into law (I.e how many A* should be enough) 2) Do you recommend a history (or any other related subject) conversion course at uni? Thanks!!

GCSEs aren't that important except for at the really top unis as far as I'm aware I'm not at one though so I may not be the most qualified advice giver, it's more on your A Levels across the board. I have no A* A Levels and I do law at Northumbria for example, their A Level entry requirements are ABB. AAB A Levels are likely to get you through almost all automatic UCAS point filters you might run into when applying for training contracts. With regard to conversion courses you can do any course and then do a GDL which allows you to do the LPC and then you'd be qualified to undertake a training contract. I'm not doing a GDL and my course does the LPC in very unorthodox way so again I'm not really knowledgeable on the subjects. People do say that the GDL is intense though.

And also what does sports law really ​involve?

I don't do it so I don't really know this either, I've pasted you in my uni's brief overview.

This module contributes to the following vertical stream(s):

Business
Public
Disputes

This module develops the following vertical pervasive themes:

Legal and general intellectual skills
Business and commercial awareness
Human rights
International legal awareness

This module is a full optional module that draws on material relevant to the business law, public law and disputes streams of the programme.

Overall aim
The overall aim is to provide students with an appreciation of the theory, law and practice of sports law in England and Wales (including EU law).

Summary of learning outcomes
At the end of the module students will understand and be able to critique the development of sports law.
The module builds on various strands of student knowledge gathered in the compulsory subjects including EU law, Public law, Criminal and Civil liability, contractual obligations and dispute resolution. It also introduces students to other legal disciplines such as Competition Law and Intellectual Property Law.
The module is also designed to further enhance the skills students have developed through the programme. In particular, the module encourages students to build their skills in problem-solving techniques and critical analysis. An emphasis is placed throughout on the international (both European and global) aspects of sports law. A comparative law approach is also taken with reference being made to developments in sports law principle and practice in Australia, Canada, the USA and other jurisdictions.

I'm not sure how useful you'll find it but here it is.
Original post by Wattsy
GCSEs aren't that important except for at the really top unis as far as I'm aware I'm not at one though so I may not be the most qualified advice giver, it's more on your A Levels across the board. I have no A* A Levels and I do law at Northumbria for example, their A Level entry requirements are ABB. AAB A Levels are likely to get you through almost all automatic UCAS point filters you might run into when applying for training contracts. With regard to conversion courses you can do any course and then do a GDL which allows you to do the LPC and then you'd be qualified to undertake a training contract. I'm not doing a GDL and my course does the LPC in very unorthodox way so again I'm not really knowledgeable on the subjects. People do say that the GDL is intense though.

I don't do it so I don't really know this either, I've pasted you in my uni's brief overview.

This module contributes to the following vertical stream(s):

Business
Public
Disputes

This module develops the following vertical pervasive themes:

Legal and general intellectual skills
Business and commercial awareness
Human rights
International legal awareness

This module is a full optional module that draws on material relevant to the business law, public law and disputes streams of the programme.

Overall aim
The overall aim is to provide students with an appreciation of the theory, law and practice of sports law in England and Wales (including EU law).

Summary of learning outcomes
At the end of the module students will understand and be able to critique the development of sports law.
The module builds on various strands of student knowledge gathered in the compulsory subjects including EU law, Public law, Criminal and Civil liability, contractual obligations and dispute resolution. It also introduces students to other legal disciplines such as Competition Law and Intellectual Property Law.
The module is also designed to further enhance the skills students have developed through the programme. In particular, the module encourages students to build their skills in problem-solving techniques and critical analysis. An emphasis is placed throughout on the international (both European and global) aspects of sports law. A comparative law approach is also taken with reference being made to developments in sports law principle and practice in Australia, Canada, the USA and other jurisdictions.

I'm not sure how useful you'll find it but here it is.

that really helped thanks a lot!!

There are more sports lawyers (in the same way there are more equine lawyers) than there is sports law.

Buying a football club is no different to buying a tripe factory.

Employment contracts for sports coaches work the same way as employment contracts for shoe shop managers.

Personal injury claims for people injured playing sport are very similar to PI claims for people injured in bus crashes.

The houses footballers buy are the same as the houses dockers buy, only bigger.

The only real area of sports law as a separate area of law is sports disciplinary proceedings.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending