The Student Room Group

Awaiting response from hospital?

I emailed several hospitals asking about work experience about a week ago, and have yet to hear anything back. I know I can't expect them to give me a placement this soon, but I thought they would at least acknowledge my enquiry.

How long should I wait before assuming they won't give me a placement?
Original post by coolsquid
I emailed several hospitals asking about work experience about a week ago, and have yet to hear anything back. I know I can't expect them to give me a placement this soon, but I thought they would at least acknowledge my enquiry.

It would be worth giving them a ring just to see if they've got it - you could always ask them when you could expect a reply, so you don't have to keep bothering them.

Unfortunately hospitals are such massive, busy organisations that it's pretty much a given that you have to constantly hassle people in order to get anything admin related done (this doesn't change as a med student/doctor!).
just wondering are you currently studying medicine at uni or are u intending to study medicine at uni and am looking for internship and work related to the field? i suggest you to also approach clinics as the might be able to hire better and you will get to experience a lot of first hand family care, as well as general illness.
Reply 3
Original post by chickensthatfly
just wondering are you currently studying medicine at uni or are u intending to study medicine at uni and am looking for internship and work related to the field? i suggest you to also approach clinics as the might be able to hire better and you will get to experience a lot of first hand family care, as well as general illness.

What do you mean by clinics? From the sound of it you mean GP surgeries. It's normal for med applicants to try to get shadowing experience at both a GP surgery and at a hospital, since the work of the doctors at each can be quite different.
Original post by Ronove
What do you mean by clinics? From the sound of it you mean GP surgeries. It's normal for med applicants to try to get shadowing experience at both a GP surgery and at a hospital, since the work of the doctors at each can be quite different.

yeah i meant under the supervision of GP doctor.
Reply 5
Okay, thanks for your help!

I would recommend just asking consultants directly. I have done three placements and all were obtained by just asking nicely. Asked another consultant recently and they again immediately said I can shadow and just wanted to know how long I wanted to come for, so will arrange that next.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by aGEMapplicant
I would recommend just asking consultants directly. I have done three placements (Haematology, A&E and Neurology & Neurosurgery) and all were obtained by just asking nicely. Asked a paeds consultant recently and they again immediately said I can shadow and just wanted to know how long I wanted to come for, so will arrange that next.

Quite a few of the places I applied to had a specific person listed to contact about work experience, and said that they could not process applications that were not done in the correct way. Should I contact the consultants anyway?
I did. See if you can ask anyone in person, i.e. by attending a relative's appointment with them and then asking afterwards. Or just look up the consultants for a specialty you are really interested in at a hospital you would like to shadow at and call their secretary and see if you can speak to them. Then immediately follow it up with an email.
Reply 9
Original post by aGEMapplicant
I did. See if you can ask anyone in person, i.e. by attending a relative's appointment with them and then asking afterwards. Or just look up the consultants for a specialty you are really interested in at a hospital you would like to shadow at and call their secretary and see if you can speak to them. Then immediately follow it up with an email.

Thanks so much for the advice!

No problem. Good luck! I've loved all my shadowing placements so far; hope you have a similar experience.

As above, admin staff won't be very helpful as they have all this "health and safety" protocol ****. Contact consultants directly (family contacts, etc) and ask if you can shadow them. It will still have to go through admin to be approved, but you'll be more likely to get accepted as you've already the organising.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending