There's a question in my ocr text book.
Original post by penguanoe

Which question/page boss?
Reply 4

It makes no sense to me

Can you take a photo of the whole question, please.
Reply 5
p110 q6. The equation at the top is suppose to simplify to cos(X)=x according to the answer in the back of the book.
Reply 6
p110 q6. The equation at the top is suppose to simplify to cos(X)=x according to the answer in the back of the book.

Unfortunately I do not own this textbook.
Maybe another member does
:smile:
Reply 7
Can someone show me how:

cos^-1 (x)= cos (x)

can be simplified to:

cos(x)=x

If we have a function f(x)f(x), the inverse function f1(x)f^{-1}(x) is (geometrically speaking) a reflection of the function f(x)f(x) in the line y=xy=x. This means that the function f(x)f(x) will intersect the function f1(x)f^{-1}(x) on the line y=xy=x

In this case, we have that f(x)=cosxf(x) = \cos x, this can be seen here:

Does this then enable you to see why your result is true. Since we have that f(x)=cosxf(x) = \cos x, then f1(x)=cos1xf^{-1}(x) = \cos^{-1}x, the solutions of cos1x=cosx\cos^{-1} x= \cos x will be found on the line y=xy=x, so either cosx=xcos x = x or tex]cos^{-1}x = x
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by TeeEm
Unfortunately I do not own this textbook.
Maybe another member does
:smile:

Unfortunately my phone is out of battery at the moment. But the question was solving cosx^-1=cos x graphically and finding a simpler root equation.
Reply 9
Original post by Zacken
If we have a function f(x)f(x), the inverse function f1xf^{-1}x is (geometrically speaking) a reflection of the function f(x)f(x) in the line y=xy=x. This means that the function f(x)f(x) will intersect the function f1xf^{-1}x on the line y=xy=x

In this case, we have that f(x)=cosxf(x) = \cos x, this can be seen here:

Does this then enable you to see why your result is true. Since we have that f(x)=cosxf(x) = \cos x, then f1x=cos1xf^{-1}x = \cos^{-1}x, the solutions of cos1x=cosx\cos^{-1} x= \cos x will be found on the line y=xy=x, so either cosx=xcos x = x or tex]cos^{-1}x = x

thanks, i think i can see it now thats its so clearly graphically represented.
when you take the inverse of a function, graphically you're reflecting it in the line y=x

for a function to be equal to its inverse at a point, the point must lie on this line
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Unfortunately my phone is out of battery at the moment. But the question was solving cosx^-1=cos x graphically and finding a simpler root equation.

I think this is to do with functions

the equation f(x) = f-1(x)

has the same solutions as

f(x) = x

or

f-1(x) = x

this is because there is ALWAYS a triple intersection

Quick Reply

Latest